Stock Market | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Stock Market

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
rosy23 said:
I'm not interested in the stock market so haven't followed this closely but I just got a bank statement for a modest managed trust and found it's almost halved in value since the last quarterly balance. Gee some people must be losing a bit of sleep at the moment.
Thats a good way to put it Rosy

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
In early trade market down 93 points which was to be expected after the Overseas markets tumbled on Friday night.Hoping for a decent night on Wall Street tonight but not confident.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Finally a good night on Wall STreet with the dow up 889 or just under 11%,ASX up 150 points.Hoping for a few good days ahead but not so sure.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
mb64 said:
Finally a good night on Wall STreet with the dow up 889 or just under 11%,ASX up 150 points.Hoping for a few good days ahead but not so sure.

Presidential election on Nov 4 should affect the US market someway.

Get your money out of stocks and invest in the debt market mb.

ROLLS ROYCE

once a tiger, always a tiger
Oct 6, 2007
mackay, qld
Keeping the fingers crossed MB. Very woried about the reaction to Obama being president and his immediate response to fin crisis.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
ROLLS ROYCE said:
Keeping the fingers crossed MB. Very woried about the reaction to Obama being president and his immediate response to fin crisis.
Your right rr,sound slike there won't be a positive reaction from what I'm hearing.

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London
Elections are always over rated as influences of the stock market. Sometimes sector effects are clear due to specific policies but every election the media get's sucked in to this "what will happen to the market" stuff.

The drivers of the market continue to be economic and earnings related.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
In a repeat of post-1987, prices in the premium suburbs of Me are beginning to crash. This also being accompanied by a swarm of Mornington Peninsula holidat homes also going on the market.

If this continues in the same cycle as post-1987, it will start like a drop in a pond and ripple outwards through the suburbs.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/premium-suburbs-bear-brunt-as-real-estate-market-reels-20081111-5mjz.html

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Phantom said:
In a repeat of post-1987, prices in the premium suburbs of Me are beginning to crash. This also being accompanied by a swarm of Mornington Peninsula holidat homes also going on the market.

If this continues in the same cycle as post-1987, it will start like a drop in a pond and ripple outwards through the suburbs.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/premium-suburbs-bear-brunt-as-real-estate-market-reels-20081111-5mjz.html

Phantom,
The worst of it will be next year....Feb/March onwards.
At the moment it seems nothing much has hit us yet because a lot of the work (especially housing and construction) that you see still going on had already been approved.
These projects will continue until finished now.
But new projects in the pipeline have either been put on hold or cancelled altogether.
These will be the ones that would have been the work for a lot of people Feb/March onwards and it won't be there.....so expect unemployment to rise...and with that, people struggling to pay off houses and credit cards, etc.

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
Phantom said:

At the risk of sounding harsh in tough times for some, for an ex-pat looking to return home and buy in the bayside areas, this is good news.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Freezer said:
At the risk of sounding harsh in tough times for some, for an ex-pat looking to return home and buy in the bayside areas, this is good news.

Hold on to mid next year mate.
Interest rates right down...people selling (or banks selling it for them).
You may get 2 for the price of 1! ;)

barty boy

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2006
livers how low do you reckon interest rates might get to?
Just wondering whether continued slashing of said rates will once again kick start the economy

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
Liverpool said:
Hold on to mid next year mate.
Interest rates right down...people selling (or banks selling it for them).
You may get 2 for the price of 1! ;)

One in Brighton and one on the Sunshine Coast?

I wish. :-\

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
barty boy said:
Just wondering whether continued slashing of said rates will once again kick start the economy

I've got no idea Barty.
Even with interest rates down...people still need employment to pay whatever mortgage they have got.
With unemployment to rise....no matter whether interest rates came down to 1%, people who are unemployed will struggle to pay their debt.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
barty boy said:

I think the Hun reported today as low as 3.75%

barty boy

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2006
I guess the flip side of low interest rates is that people with deposits or investments will definately feel the pinch. this will also have a negative effect on the economy as it will curtail their spending also

ROLLS ROYCE

once a tiger, always a tiger
Oct 6, 2007
mackay, qld
Have been pondering a investment unit in melb for some time so sounds like time may be right mid next year.

Now just need to convince the other half, who despite us living on the water up here in NQ, still wants a unit on the sunny coast.

Makes me sound like a wanker but jeez I dream of spending a couple of months of the year in Melbourne during footy season.