Stock Market | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Stock Market

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
This is the thing for me. All markets (whether that be stock or crypto) are manipulated somewhat. In the stock market its all around charting. Someone somewhere, created a whole playbook around charting, whereby a "stock market pattern" can be created (with many of the patterns able to be read in 2 ways, either for growth or decline - a lot of grey, sort of the AFL's playbook), the big boys take their position earlier, but the amount of short term traders will then take their position. Its essentially a self fulfilling prophecy for the big boys and 1 of the major reasons why many traders don't make money. There will be enough people that make money with the movement, that they continue to trade, and will tell others about this great method to make money from the stock market.

Crypto - and it was seen with devastatingly big impacts a few weeks - is under the control of only a few people. From those that can "create" additional bitcoins or whatever, only a small number essentially control the supply, and then when they choose to can push the markets up and down at will, even when they lose control of a coin, they can devastate the value.

For the above reasons, its why I'm a see company buy company type of guy. I don't short, I don't sweat the market. I just take positions in companies that I think are undervalued. Its doing well for me now, and time has shown for me that the above reasons show that small cap investing is very hit and miss. I fell into this trap in the first few years of trading and lost a fair amount of money, but a focus on undervalued mid caps is the sweet spot for me, coupled with larger holdings in bigger cap stocks that are safer but have strong dividend yields.

Different coins, different holders.

Bitcoin, the original, is limited to 21 million coins. There can't be more than that. Then add in how many wallets are sitting around with BTC that the owners can no longer access because they've forgotten/lost the keys/died and the general consensus there is only 18 million BTC available. Somewhere recently they calculated that the top 80 holders of BTC own about 15% of the supply. They can absolutely manipulate the market if they so choose but they need to be a bit more careful as crypto is now regulated to the extent regulators will treat deliberate manipulation of BTC as it would any investment.

Crypto currency may well be the future, but I expect it to be well controlled by governments with sovereign coins. Plenty of money to be made in crypto, but plenty more to be lost.

NFT on the other hand I just can't see the future use case. Stay away.

Reactions: 1 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Different coins, different holders.

Bitcoin, the original, is limited to 21 million coins. There can't be more than that. Then add in how many wallets are sitting around with BTC that the owners can no longer access because they've forgotten/lost the keys/died and the general consensus there is only 18 million BTC available. Somewhere recently they calculated that the top 80 holders of BTC own about 15% of the supply. They can absolutely manipulate the market if they so choose but they need to be a bit more careful as crypto is now regulated to the extent regulators will treat deliberate manipulation of BTC as it would any investment.

Crypto currency may well be the future, but I expect it to be well controlled by governments with sovereign coins. Plenty of money to be made in crypto, but plenty more to be lost.

If anyone has found the concept of NFTs hard to comprehend - just can’t get the concept into one’s head. This video is the best, most accurate educational tutorial I’ve seen on the topic.

“If I believe in NFTs and you believe in NFTs, then they believe in NFTs and we make all kinds of *smile* money!”

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Going well..

episode 9 market GIF

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Plenty losing a lot now.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I had a glance at my account, saw the market was down 330 points and logged out of my account today.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The only thing worth smiling about is knowing I sold out of crypto a while ago

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I don't play the stock market, apart from some blue chip mining shares. Have had my super locked into conservative for a while, so I'm not too stressed.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not my favourite day of all time but have to play the long game on these things.

I play the value shares route, so if I'm happy that I have bought shares that are underpriced, with good revenue and low debt, then market fluctuations don't worry me. It all depends on age though, and risk profile.

I'm keeping some cash on the sidelines and if the market continues to drop I will be buying into the market more than I am right now.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I didn't invest much so haven't sold any yet but I know plenty who've lost big time. They're very quiet today.
I honestly wonder if this is the bursting of the crypto bubble & if it will recover.

It will bounce back. 2017 BTC surged from just over USD1k to about USD20k and crashed down to ~USD3k. It might take a while but I can see it recovering for the patient.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
While I'm inclined to have a giggle and indulge in a bit of schadenfreude about the collapse, I do have some sympathy for those in LatAm and parts of Africa that bought crypto because their own nation's currencies were so weak and fragile.

If this goes on and doesn't rally soon (which I doubt will happen, at least anytime soon) this will have devastating consequences for many in such places.

But for the crypto bois, screw them. It was all fine screaming "enjoy being poor" at the non-believers when the rally was full-steam.