Strategies for a depleted midfield | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Strategies for a depleted midfield

67 special

Tiger Matchwinner
May 12, 2009
Against GWS this week, our backline looks solid again - Grimes back and Vlaustuin hopefully better for the run last week.
Our forward line is basically intact, albeit, not very functional. But our starting midfield is barely there.....

Given how depleted our midfield is going to be coming up against GWS - what do people think our best bet is strategically is to try and at least break even?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I would go for big bodies in the middle - Pickett, Graham and the like to either stop clearances or make sure any clearances GWS get are under immense pressure and therefore not easy kicks to leading forwards which make life impossible for defenders. We have to try and break even in the centre otherwise there is no defence in existence which can stop quality delivery into the forward line.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
My greatest fear is that we'll be done badly on the spread, per the second half last week.

I'm desperately hoping Hardwick and Kingsley go full throttle on a clearance-oriented game plan.

I think it plays into what we will be our only obvious strength this week: beast mode.

Put the acid on Nankervis, Pickett, Martin, Graham, Ross and RCD to either hammer it forward to the three-headed monster—Lynch, Riewoldt and Caddy—or wide to the running machines—McIntosh, Rioli and Castagna.

Must work hard to hold it inside 50 because we'll get torched the other way if we allow quick and easy exits.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Pickett, Martin and Baker to start in the guts.

RCD, Ross and Stack to rotate through via the bench. Graham is not good at centre clearances so will need to start outside the square.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Dusty, Graham and Ross will have to do the bulk of the inside work. Ross needs to play inside mid, not wing. RCD, Baker and Marlion will relieve. Need another runner on the wing to relieve Marlion when he goes inside and/or 2nd ruck. Naish or Ralphsmith to come in.

We have enough firepower to break even in there. Thought last week we were very loose and unstructured in the centre clearances. We need to tighten up and stick tackles. If we break even, we should be able to beat them all over the park. Our fwds need to re-gain some structure also and we need to defend the outlets much better. Maybe push Mansell up fwd to assist.

the best defence in the league is back together with Grimes coming back.

Vlastuin, Short, Broad and Houli will need to push forward more to assist our mids with the outside run, which will also assist our fwds to retain their structure to better stop the intercept marking and rebound outlets.

Our system and structures and field coverage were all over the place last week and I'm sure this will be Dimma's number one focus going into this game.

confident of a win.

Reactions: 1 user

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
import some covid cases and get the comp paused for a month

Injury problem solved , next

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Dusty must play mid.

Bringing in an additional intercept defender (Ralphsmith, Biggie etc) could also allow us to push Vlastuin up around the ball.

Baker another option.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The Giants are all about contested mid. If they lose that, then they lose as they don't win enough ball at the contest to score.

We need to have our bigger bodies in there.

RCD, Ross, Graham and Dusty will need to be in there a lot, with Pickett and Baker also. Need another winger in the team, hence Ralph-Smith must play on the wing. I reckon they are similar to the dogs in defence (certainly at the moment), bar Taylor they have little else. Not sure who they will replace Keefe with, but we need to do what we did against the dogs, vacate the F50 and leave either Jack or Lynch isolated in there. Smalls will push up the ground to help out the mid rotation I think, maybe leave Aarts forward to, but push George and Rioli higher up the ground and try to isolate our forwards 1 on 1.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Dusty must play mid.

Bringing in an additional intercept defender (Ralphsmith, Biggie etc) could also allow us to push Vlastuin up around the ball.

Baker another option.

Baker is the one, is the natural replacement for Lambert IMO.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Don’t think we need big bodies to replace Edwards and Bolton. Cotch and Lambert aren’t big either, and Dion’s short.

None of them are big bodies.

Perhaps Rioli and Baker? They’d bring intensity and know where to run, but we’d need a replacement for Daniel up forward... okay, okay, if that means we have to select MRJ then I guess I’m fine with that too.

The ball won’t be coming in as clean with such an inexperienced midfield, so might benefit from a smaller forward line. Jack and Tom knock it down for MRJ, George, Daniel, Aarts, and Bakes to run onto.

And if he’s fit enough, Sydney Stack. The club needs someone to step up during this hard time, and he could be the man to do it. What a story that would be.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The Giants are all about contested mid. If they lose that, then they lose as they don't win enough ball at the contest to score.

We need to have our bigger bodies in there.

RCD, Ross, Graham and Dusty will need to be in there a lot, with Pickett and Baker also. Need another winger in the team, hence Ralph-Smith must play on the wing. I reckon they are similar to the dogs in defence (certainly at the moment), bar Taylor they have little else. Not sure who they will replace Keefe with, but we need to do what we did against the dogs, vacate the F50 and leave either Jack or Lynch isolated in there. Smalls will push up the ground to help out the mid rotation I think, maybe leave Aarts forward too, but push George and Rioli higher up the ground and try to isolate our forwards 1 on 1.

If we do this we do run the risk of isolating our forwards with 2 opponents each. The key here will be an ability to adapt if there are issues, so, if we do end up isolating our forwards but they are being double teamed, Tom and Jack need to run their opponents around while a smaller player marks a little further out. Our forwards are too static at the moment to be left isolated, they need to be running their opponents around and creating space.

Plus, as Dimma pointed out last week, we need to be nailing tackles. We need the heat in the centre, which will not be as hard as it was against a very experienced Geelong, but still won't be easy. Must put maximum pressure on in the middle of the ground.

DS

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Stacky is a must , go forward , push bakes into midfield , houli or shorty as outside mid,.egg could play HB though they may prefer naish . Pickett on ball. . I’d drop mansell for caddy , use him on wing . This month is critical, keep our heads above water then our troops start to return

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It's going to be tough against GWS. Dyer'ere is right when he says they don't and never have had our top-end talent but a lot of ours is sitting in the stands.

Taranto, Hopper, Ward, Green is a strong inside presence. Kelly is playing well on the outside. We need Nank on top and otherwise employ Operation Tackle. Heat, heat, heat. Turnover. Counter.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Wouldn't mind seeing Ross and Riolli start in the midfield with Dusty. Ross has to be put back in his strength and Riolli has done it in the past.

Throw in Pickett and have Graham, Caddy rotate.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Slow it down and use the stand rule to our advantage until within striking distance of our fwd line.
Pretty much what sides have done to us.
Think they'll cut us open if we play chaos football with their footskills otherwise.