Sydney and character | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney and character

J

jake_the_lad

It was very interesting to watch the game today. I don't think Sydney have a great list. I would put them in the same bracket as us and Hawthorn. What makes them good is that they play for each other, and have a coach who they respect greatly.

Watching Barry Hall today showed me exactly what we are missing most at Tigerland. We often talk about the Kellaways and Coughlan and those sorts and how tough they are. And they are tough, they back into packs and throw themselves onto the bottom of packs headfirst. It is a different sort of toughness we need. There is no emotion stronger than fear. The Port defenders today would vouch for that. Backing into packs gives your teammates a lift, but what the likes of Archer and Hall do strikes fear into the opposition. I wondered what it felt like for the smaller forwards in the Sydney team. Beside you stands a brute of a man who is likely to knock over anything that stands in his, or indeed your path, to help his team and protect the smaller men. Every time that the Swans were tested today Hall came charging down from FF took a mark and booted truly. No man in teal dared stand in his way.

Who in the current Richmond side has any sort of physical presence during a game?

When was the last time a Richmond player laid a bonecrunching hip and shoulder?

When you read stories of the Richmond of old, of Jack Dyer and 'Mopsy' Fraser and Max Oppy, about how we won premierships even though we weren't as skillful as some of the other teams going around (roar34?), it is very depressing. About time we did something about it.

The problem is

i) Our players seem less muscular than our opponents, and this alone can give them a mental edge.
ii) We don't have many players with a lot of 'mongrel' in them, and those that do - eg. Nicholls and Fleming, are hacks. Tough, skillful players are a rare commodity but every good team has 'em. Look and the kangaroos of the late 90's (archer, King, Carey etc), the Bombers of 200 at their peak (Johnsons, Solomon, Hardwick) and the current Lions team (Voss, Pike).

I would like to see someone like Rodan, who is a big strong boy, to be told to be more aggressive.

On the subject of Sydney, I see this as the classic example of the flaws of the draft. They might make the grand final, but I cannot see them winning it. They are a good side working hard and playing hard. They should be rewarded. It is the teams with similar lists but don't raise a whimper, like Hawthorn and us to a degree that are rewarded by this system.

Why not give out the first round of draft picks in reverse order and the second round in the opposite direction. i.e. the bottom team gets picks 1 and 32, and the top team gets picks 16 and 17. It should be even IMO. It is dissapointing to see successful teams getting systematically dismantled by the draft rules.

I would like to know the legalities of this draft system. How can a player come of contract and i) be forced to go to a particular club, or ii) his club of choice are forced to recompense his old club, to which he no longer has any legal obligation.

I'm don't know the first thing about contract or corporate law, but it seems to be a restriction of trade and deny freedom of movement. There is a precedent in soccer with the Bosman ruling, it all depends on whether we have anything like the workers right outlined in the treaty of Rome. What about the fact that player A can play for team X, but player B cannot, all because player A's old man played for them Is that discrimination? The sooner someone challenges this crooked system the better IMO.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
jake_the_lad said:
When was the last time a Richmond player laid a bonecrunching hip and shoulder?

1995 - 2nd semi -v- Essendon ...
Scott Turner or Gary O'Donnell.. enough said I reckon

vladz

Take us forward!
Jul 20, 2003
Canterbury
You are spot on. Richmond have been in their worst for the last 20 years (except 2001, it was a fluk). We need to change our whole board, coaches, managers and maybe a president, that is the only way we can get a result from our club.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Good point you make about Barry Hall jake. But for me, what the real issue is, is that Barry Hall went back and kicked 6 goals straight, whereas our spearhead, Richo, would have kicked 1. 3 and 2 on the full. And thus we would have lost the game.

I'm all for hard men, but watching the game today, it was Sydney's cleaner disposal that won them the game.
Port were fumbling all over the place, especially in the first half.

J

jake_the_lad

JohnF said:
Good point you make about Barry Hall jake. But for me, what the real issue is, is that Barry Hall went back and kicked 6 goals straight, whereas our spearhead, Richo, would have kicked 1. 3 and 2 on the full. And thus we would have lost the game.

I'm all for hard men, but watching the game today, it was Sydney's cleaner disposal that won them the game.

That as well ;-)

I thought that Hall had an influence on pretty much the whole of Sydney's attacking half though. The way that the rest of the forward line lifted, seeing their strongman FF taking marks, and the way the midfield just got it straight to Hall .... maybe Sam Newman is right re: Richo??

Every time Sydney were challenged Hall stood up. We don't have anyone like that at the moment.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
jake_the_lad said:
I would like to see someone like Rodan, who is a big strong boy, to be told to be more aggressive.

I like your sentiment Jake, but i don't believe the sort of aggression you are talking about can be manufactured. It's either in a player naturally or it isn't. That sort of aggression certainly isn't part of Rodan's makeup from what i've seen.

Quote from Koalalill:
1995 - 2nd semi -v- Essendon ...
Scott Turner or Gary O'Donnell.. enough said I reckon

One of the things that has hurt our club (and i put this in a post a few days back) - is that we've lost guys like Scotty Turner, Justin Charles and Tony Free to career ending injuries. These guys hit bodies hard - particularly the 2 big boys. In fact Charles used to have more centre square clearances than any of our little guys, such was the use of his bulk in the second efforts to get the ball moving forward.

On Scotty Turner, on the kick out - he'd pass the ball 55m low and hard and hit guys b/t the tits. Very handy for the fullback to be able to do this so you don't waste a Tiva or Chaff in the square doing the kicking.

Freeza was i think the complete package as a leader. Hard at it, skilled and he'd get his own ball and bring others into the game.

On that, did anyone else notice Cogs line up Nick Rees in the opening seconds on Sunday. His intentions were very clear.

Quote from JohnF:

Good point JF, that's what hard at the ball footy does. Even the best start to fumble. We had the Roos playing like a "C" grade team first time around in 1995 with hard aggression - and they were'nt exactly a team of marshmellows back then. Attack it hard and anything can happen.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
There's no I in teamwork.

Unfortunately, Richmond has too many Individuals, where Sydney work together as a team.

simple as that.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
nwonash said:
There's no I in teamwork.

Unfortunately, Richmond has too many Individuals, where Sydney work together as a team.

simple as that.

Exactly right Nwonash.

Thats where port fell apart today, they seemed to be fighting each other for the ball.

The same goes for the pies as it does for sydney, the pies work as a team, they do everything for each other, Malthouse has got them working as a close knit unit. They dont beleive in individual work down there, its all about the team. Thats why they finish 2nd and are on their way to a 2nd GF berth, and why we are in Sh!tville.

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
Paul Roos seems to have the job down-pat.
That's the difference between us and them.
Swans players want to do it for roosy as well as each other. Our players would all realise that the shitman coaching us has no idea and are just waiting for him to go - surely ? Wheres the incentive in that situation ?There is none. We have none.
New coach, NEW LIFE,New list. :'( :-X ;D

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Love the avatar Ox...........however it should say "waiting for '05" when we get rid of Danny Failure.

P

PuntRoadRoar

in 2004 danny's no more ;D

then 2005 the tigers will thrive *grins*

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
I think for once I agree with everyone on a topic. Sydney have to be admired for the fight they put up, especially in the closing minutes. I actually tipped Port in rosy's competition but sentimentally I wanted to see Sydney win.

Sydney remind me of RFC in 1995 and I fear the same fate awaits them as with us after the Bummers match in the finals of that year. As I wrote in another post over the weekend, I think making the finals in '95 and 2001, was not a true indication of our skills. We were a determined bunch who played as a team, but the "big boys" blew us away. If you cast your minds back to '01 we "ground out" some wins, something we are incapable of doing at present.

I keep harking back to Scotty Turner, too. I'm sure I would go to jelly if I saw him bearing down on me. Same with Hall, imagine being out there with him coming at full speed! And, point taken, we have no one to carry off that type of role, which is a pity because nearly every team has at least one "hard" man, except Richmond.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
First, I agree with all those posts about Sydney showing an enormous amount of character this year. They were universally written off and have overachieved enormously.

However, the comparisons between them and us in '95 are obvious and worrying. I think Leigh Matthews put it well in an article earlier this year that said theirs a huge gulf between talent and form, talent sticks around and grows, form doesnt.

Personally I hope the Swannies continue to do well (it would be good for the AFL if nothing else) and I also hope that our guys spend most of summer watching tapes of our second semi in '95 and the swannies game last Sunday.

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
Roar34 said:
I keep harking back to Scotty Turner, too. I'm sure I would go to jelly if I saw him bearing down on me. "

Love to see a Scotty Turner type back at tigerland. Hard as nails and take a bloke out just for the fun of it - actually enjoyed it. We and Footy in general miss that.
Too many sucky, little "athletes" running around playing like *smile*' and crying to the ump when they get a knock. Line 'em up and knock 'em out. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
LMAO Ox - just noticed that you changed it to "waiting for 05".............hope Danny Failure hasn't damaged us to the point where we will be waiting for 06 and beyond.

Tiger_clairvoyant

I'm a llama!
Aug 24, 2003
I bloody loved this game. I watched it and couldnt help but be impressed by Sydney. They are a team of no-names but Geez how well did they team together against Port.
I sat back and admired the way the played, with skill toughness, hardness, commitment, aggression, and a preparedness to run and run all day. Despite having key players out and only 1 available on the bench.
I was actually proud of them!
I said to my sis who watched the last quarter with me... "Wouldnt it be great if you supported a team who played like that?" They were fantastic Sydney and if those down at RFC dont make the players watch this several times over complete with disections of the game and q n a sessions then the RFC is negligent.

Mark Williams shame about Sunday you arrogant slime of a man.... but as the old saying goes.... 'Worse things have happened to better people'! ;)

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
Harry said:
LMAO Ox - just noticed that you changed it to "waiting for 05".............hope Danny Failure hasn't damaged us to the point where we will be waiting for 06 and beyond.

Harry,
we better get a psychiatrist down there asap.Counselling of scarred minds is a neccessity when aiming at a full recovery.