Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Think he's only chance is he can be passed fit for the VFL GF to replace a cruelly treated Jake Aarts [4 weeks!!! Compared with Hawkins or Greene?], play an absolute ripper game, then come in to AFL side if we get through.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
BUT re my prior post. Hadn't read Caesar's training report. Respect. Judging from that, he's no chance. My bad. Next year Syd.

Reactions: 1 user

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Think he's only chance is he can be passed fit for the VFL GF to replace a cruelly treated Jake Aarts [4 weeks!!! Compared with Hawkins or Greene?], play an absolute ripper game, then come in to AFL side if we get through.
4 weeks was fair, the Port player ended up with multiple facial fractures
If it happened to one of yours we would be wanting 6 weeks or more

Reactions: 1 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
I think if they had just left him down back he would be playing Friday, down back.
Agree with this but could also be a blessing in disguise. Some young players that achieve the ultimate goal so early on can then drift through their careers. A hungry Stack will not only drive himself but the team to have another crack at a premiership.
Weird. Felt like I just typed that after we won this years premiership.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yes I retract because I didn't actually know about the extent of the Port player's injuries when I posted. My wife, who uses Twitter which I don't hardly ever, told me afterwards. That's a shock. Not sure how it even happened as it didn't look possible - was the major damage from when he hit the ground? However, Jake has to cop it now. Although, if you listen to Campbell's comments on the Ch.7 coverage at the time, he echoes my thoughts. Jake went very hard but just slightly late and definitely excessive in retrospect.

But I'd still argue that, without much doubt in my mind, that RFC cop harsher penalties e.g. compared to these two AFL incidents currently. You only have to compare with how Dusty gets treated like earlier this year, and how Houli ended up copping 4 weeks for throwing his elbow back at that Carlton tagger, after initially getting two weeks, then back out to four on appeal by the tribunal. Was what Bashar did 4 x what Hawkins has copped, especially when he has had six striking reports, Houli's first and only (I think). I would argue BH was a lesser offence because he wasn't even looking at his opponent and it was a spur-of-the-moment act, whereas Hawkins' is cold-blooded, calculated and clearly intended with his opponent in clear vision in front of him.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Kid has the McLeod, Wanganeen etc type attributes built for the big stage. Hope he is able to put his hand up if we make it to the big dance. I’d say his recovery has been purely focused on being available for the GF. Made for it.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Kid has the McLeod, Wanganeen etc type attributes built for the big stage. Hope he is able to put his hand up if we make it to the big dance. I’d say his recovery has been purely focused on being available for the GF. Made for it.

Have to agree.

I wouldnt write Stackmann off for the GF just yet if we make it.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
If by some chance he does make it for the GF and is fit enough to do the job at the level required after his rest, I'd be very tempted to pull the trigger on him.

But he has to be able to run out the whole game, and tick all boxes.

Syd is a big stage player.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Nope. Too risky and we don't have a major hole in our team that Stack would be a natural for.

Stack and Pickett can fight it out for the Norm Smith in 2020

Reactions: 4 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Dimma putting our hopes up again.

If he pulls up well at training Friday with the VFL he plays Sunday...

Surprising
But interesting to see how he goes I suppose and how much of the game he plays ie will they manage his minutes from his injury/fitness point of view.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Giving it more thought, it would be great to see Stack being told to stand with Gablett. Keep him to nothing and run off him to create magic. Rub more salt into the Cats wounds.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Not sure I agree. Aarts did a lot of damage to the Port player and whether that is 2 weeks or 4 I don't know. But, it isn't the damage, it is the action which should attract the penalty. Aarts clearly hit the Port player, I can't say whether it was deliberate. Hawkins hit to the head was definitely deliberate and should have attracted the same sanction - just because he didn't land the punch and cause as much damage does not alter the fact he, like Aarts, hit an opponent in the head. Should have been the same sanction.

Penalise what the player did. Attempted but unsuccessful jaw breaking should be penalised the same as successful jaw breaking.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Surprising
But interesting to see how he goes I suppose and how much of the game he plays ie will they manage his minutes from his injury/fitness point of view.

Dimma says a lot of feel good stuff at pressers, I take it with a grain of Chris Scott Brand Salt. He left the door open for Rance when most of us knew that was never going to happen.

Could be a motivational thing for the players concerned as well, all I know is Dimma is a magician so I don't question his methods.