Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Big disappointment this year. Has serious talent and can be a great player if he finds the work ethic required. Needs to throw up on the track again.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Balls in his court. But sublime skill alone won't keep you at Richmond.

Reactions: 1 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Geez you really dislike Stack
I don’t actually. Actually want him to succeed, but
Very evident that all who watched training that he has come back not very fit . His work ethic isn’t good . You might find that you can have all the talent and ability in the world but if you don’t apply yourself and listen to what’s required you won’t be getting a game . Not a good listener
End of story .

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Very evident that all who watched training that he has come back not very fit . His work ethic isn’t good . You might find that you can have all the talent and ability in the world but if you don’t apply yourself and listen to what’s required you won’t be getting a game . Not a good listener
End of story .

Yep, clearly has the talent but showed last year that discipline and endeavour is an issue. This seems to be the case this year as well.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Just turned 20, how do we know he isn't training his arse off in the hub?

Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
End of story .

End of story suggests you’ve already made the call that he’s beyond redemption and that you’ve given up on any prospect of him improving on those weaknesses and having a future at RFC
Fair enough
I have confidence in the Club environment and the kid himself doing the required remedial work and playing great footy for us (again and for a long time)
Hope you’re wrong!

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
End of story suggests you’ve already made the call that he’s beyond redemption and that you’ve given up on any prospect of him improving on those weaknesses and having a future at RFC
Fair enough
I have confidence in the Club environment and the kid himself doing the required remedial work and playing great footy for us (again and for a long time)
Hope you’re wrong!
Reality is that he hasn’t played a good game since round 18 last year and struggled this year
Problem will be is that clubs lists will be reduced 25 % by the AFL
Those players who aren’t playing at the moment with all the injuries we have would be very concerned about there future
Contract or no contract
Is he in our best 22 ? Probably not
Remember every club over looked him for a reason. . I hope he makes it but you need to be realistic of where he sits and where other players sit
Can tell you Thompson Dow will be a star
RCD will get his chance
Jack Ross will get his opportunity of being an onballer
You can’t play them all

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Reality is that he hasn’t played a good game since round 18 last year and struggled this year
Problem will be is that clubs lists will be reduced 25 % by the AFL
Those players who aren’t playing at the moment with all the injuries we have would be very concerned about there future
Contract or no contract
Is he in our best 22 ? Probably not
Remember every club over looked him for a reason. . I hope he makes it but you need to be realistic of where he sits and where other players sit
Can tell you Thompson Dow will be a star
RCD will get his chance
Jack Ross will get his opportunity of being an onballer
You can’t play them all
You dont throw away talent like that, especially after being only 1 year in the system.
He was talked about in the same breadth as Rozee and Walsh last year.
Sorry Stig but you have got this one completely wrong.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I’m a believer he’ll be a superstar. His first 17 rounds or so were the best I’ve ever seen at Richmond by a small margin (Deledio second). I’d love to know his honest answer to the following question though: “why were you successful last year?”

He seems to deeply believe he’s just innately better than everyone else, right down to his healing abilities. Not sure if that’s a problem necessarily

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Fair enough
Hope you’re wrong!

Well said

He's not the first 20yr old to get a bit a head of himself. If there is any organisation that can get the best out of him, RFC is it.

Round 18 last year wasn't that long ago, and prior to round 18 he was absolutely flying. Well beyond anyone's expectations.
Now he's got a case of 2nd year blues you're saying we should trade him? Seems a bit melodramatic to me.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
A bit of tough love in the hub will be good for Syd. Not being able to play won't be, but seeing a scrapper like Aarts in his spot should tell him all he needs to know.

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
You dont throw away talent like that, especially after being only 1 year in the system.
He was talked about in the same breadth as Rozee and Walsh last year.
Sorry Stig but you have got this one completely wrong.
Can’t turn up to training 5kg overweight
Seriously!! Those who have watched him train would know exactly what I am talking about . We have had great talent through punt Rd over recent times who haven’t reached there potential eg Daniel Connors , Marty McGrath , Dean Polo etc .
Let’s hope he can get back to form
Syd is electrifying at best . Spectator at worst

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
His history says he's not a great trainer......

Shai went back to WA with him over the X mas New Year period and was training with him before we signed him to help him get up to par from memory.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
A bit of tough love in the hub will be good for Syd. Not being able to play won't be, but seeing a scrapper like Aarts in his spot should tell him all he needs to know.

Spook i think you will find that they have already tried the first remedy in allowing Syd to play when he most obviously hadn't put in the work , (i don't think this would have sat well with other players). I personally think they played Syd and continued to play him for exactly the reason of hoping it would get him back on track.
You are right that now is the time for some tough love, which includes not playing him. Let's see how Syd responds.
RFC is all for individuality but not at the expense of certain non negotiables.
Has absolute talent no doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Sydney is a great talent - you don't throw that ability out unless he is a lost cause.

He has shown he can prove people wrong with his first pre-season, he now needs another reason to get the best out of himself. He'll have to find that motivation within himself this time which is the challenge. Fingers crossed he turns the corner.

Stig - any truth that some people at club not happy with the relationship with MC?

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Sydney is a great talent - you don't throw that ability out unless he is a lost cause.

He has shown he can prove people wrong with his first pre-season, he now needs another reason to get the best out of himself. He'll have to find that motivation within himself this time which is the challenge. Fingers crossed he turns the corner.

Stig - any truth that some people at club not happy with the relationship with MC?
Who knows

Last edited: