Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Not too sure about that

All 18 clubs passed on him multiple times and eventually Richmond gave him a chance and its well known by all clubs how well Richmond handle these players going back to the ben cousins days and after 4 years on Richmond list and if he gets cut i doubt other clubs would be too eager to spend more resources on a 5th year player.

Maybe North / Eagles
I reckon 12 other clubs would at least rookie him recognising the talent he’s already shown. Free hit.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Not too sure about that

All 18 clubs passed on him multiple times and eventually Richmond gave him a chance and its well known by all clubs how well Richmond handle these players going back to the ben cousins days and after 4 years on Richmond list and if he gets cut i doubt other clubs would be too eager to spend more resources on a 5th year player.

Maybe North / Eagles
How about if he requests a trade?
Have you considered that?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
He’s out of contract at the end of this season. Why would he request a trade, and why would any club trade for him, when they can pick him up for nothing?
The inference from another poster was that the only way he’d leave was that he’d get delisted and that no one would pick him up. I’m suggesting there’s a chance he’ll walk and be picked up by another team who might use him differently

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The inference from another poster was that the only way he’d leave was that he’d get delisted and that no one would pick him up. I’m suggesting there’s a chance he’ll walk and be picked up by another team who might use him differently
By "using him differently" do you mean play him in the ones?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
At VFL level Sydney's challenge is to win ground ball. It's not a new challenge.

He can win ground ball at HFF. He can win it in the centre square. He can win it anywhere he wants. But football is played at ground level and we want our man to play football.

Sydney won it twice near the lawn on the weekend. Got 17 touches. (Sonsie got 25.) Laid one tackle. He played forward and got a stint in the guts.

The Swans fielded a very strong line up with many fringe AFL players of many years experience. Stack was not disgraced. And was incisive at times.

It's ok to get bigger numbers.

Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I love your loyalty to SS but i think after 4 years of similar issue's its not looking too good

Has the talent but not the work ethic to become what he could become

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I love your loyalty to SS but i think after 4 years of similar issue's its not looking too good

Try watching some VFL.
Working his ass off but can’t get enough of it.
So opposite atm to what you’re suggesting. Being played in a position that doesn’t seem to suit him. Pressure forward in starvation corner.
Some other clubs will have longer memories than some Richmond supporters here of his value as a small defender.
I’m not being loyal. I’m being realistic

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I just hope Syd is putting in the work over this bye week..
Big second half of the year for his career & can't afford a backwards step.
More chance winning powerball twice
It's over Collier Dawkins, Stack Martyn and even Cumberland could be the first out door.
Hardwick will keep Mansel and Dow.
Can't believe how good he was in 18 and now dosent look anything like that kid.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
More chance winning powerball twice
It's over Collier Dawkins, Stack Martyn and even Cumberland could be the first out door.
Hardwick will keep Mansel and Dow.
Can't believe how good he was in 18 and now dosent look anything like that kid

Martyn is first out the door for mine following retirements of Caddy, Edwards and Lambert.

That's likely 4 omissions already. Not counting for a trade or any trades that may be done. I have a feeling Cotch and JR8 will go into 23 then retire but we will see.

I'd also be guessing there may be 2 more delisting's or trades from the group including Aarts, Cumberland, Ross, Syd, and RCD.

Miller I'm not sure of yet but more form like last game will see him extended again I would guess.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Yep I think that's it. Showed at 19yo what he can do but hasn't been anywhere near that level since. Has to be lack of desire or just doesn't fit in with the social restrictions of being an AFL player. Not sure if he'll remain on the list, might be saved by the number of players that look likely to be delisted or retire. I am sure he'll be offered a spot somewhere else at just 22yo and with his talent. Clubs will think it's worth the risk and if not, apparently you get to choose if you want to go to Saints or GC.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Try watching some VFL.
Working his ass off but can’t get enough of it.
So opposite atm to what you’re suggesting. Being played in a position that doesn’t seem to suit him. Pressure forward in starvation corner.
Some other clubs will have longer memories than some Richmond supporters here of his value as a small defender.
I’m not being loyal. I’m being realistic
This is exactly it.

bugsy

TIGERISING
Jul 31, 2004
It’s just not quite clicking for young El Syd but no way am I hopping off the bandwagon. We know his potential. He’s had setbacks but that’s life. The only answer is for him to keep working hard and refining his overall game.

Our recruiting/coaching group have proven in recent years they know what they’re doing. So I’m still sticking with Syd in the belief that one day down the track he will once again prove the difference-maker and the headlines will scream out
STACK IS BACK

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
There is still a lot of support for Sydney at RFC. I have heard Balmey say recently he is still an unabashed fan.
I am losing faith but still have some. The rest of this year is the most critical of his career imo, he has to show something more than cameos. Talent wise he is in the top 10 players at the club, on form scraping into the top 30.
My own view is that we need to play him in the vfl in a position where he can get more possession. Halfback preferably even though he has a few in front of him. The more pill he gets the more confidence he will get.

Reactions: 3 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
We’re trying to turn a HB into a HF It’s usually the other way round
id play Stackman at HB for the rest of the season and see how he goes

Reactions: 2 users