Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
They all get individual fitness programs set for them for over the summer break. Not sure the clubs are allowed to have much official contact with them during their break though as the players are on holiday.
Best thing would be for players to get together in unofficial training groups to keep their fitness up over the break, but that's all voluntary.
how long before the season starts does the break end?
even allowing for nothing done over the break, he was under done at season start.
we seem to have issues developing players physically...a concern when our fab 5 recruits are not exactly beasts.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
how long before the season starts does the break end?
even allowing for nothing done over the break, he was under done at season start.
we seem to have issues developing players physically...a concern when our fab 5 recruits are not exactly beasts.
Been common knowledge for years now that with the professionalism in footy players need to maintain a strong fitness base all through their break. Simply not possible to have six or eight weeks off n then flog yourself up to match fitness during the pre season proper.
Can't see much wrong with the development of our players, the games all about burst running n lean muscle these days. If you start out with scrawny little rodents there's not much chance of bulking them up into Cripps, Dusty or Kennedy size players. If ya wan't beasts ya gotta start with a big chassis n then finesse it.

Reactions: 1 users

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
i was speaking purely from syds worst case off season perspective.
& comparing our average size to reigning dee premiers.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Everyone seems to have an opinion looking from the outside. I don't know how we can judge what's going on inside heads when we are looking from outside the fence.

What I think is we have 10 matches left.
We don't have to make a decision until the end of season and I hope we judge him on these last 10 not the preseason.
Lets see how he goes

Reactions: 3 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
There were reasons Syd didn’t get drafted in the first place despite his obvious talent. Playing half hearted footy in the VFL will not make him attractive for other Clubs to show any interest. Hopefully he can shape up or sadly I feel he may sink without trace into lower levels of football.
I wouldn't feel sad if he never plays AFL again or finishes in lower levels of football because he may be quite happy doing what he is doing and his happiness is the only thing that matters. He may feel that he achieved his main goal in his first year, of proving that he is good enough to play well at AFL level so he has nothing more to prove. Only he knows if that's true. It would be sad if he gets into drugs and ruins his life or finishes up in jail, etc. Remember there are many players with physical talent who should not have tried to play AFL because they could not deal with the mental stress of having their work performance analysed every week, on the public stage in front of an audience of 500,000+ watching in person and on TV. AFL footballers are a special breed requiring more than just footy skills and I admire them so much for doing what most of us can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Everyone seems to have an opinion looking from the outside. I don't know how we can judge what's going on inside heads when we are looking from outside the fence.
Welcome to PRE. We're coming up on 20 years of under-informed opinion and speculative, emotional strategy. If we're not second guessing every move the club makes, who will?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

What I think is we have 10 matches left.
We don't have to make a decision until the end of season and I hope we judge him on these last 10 not the preseason.
Lets see how he goes

We can judge him on his game day performance, which has been mostly VFL standard for the last 3 years.

Maybe expecting more than that is our problem.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
We can judge him on his game day performance, which has been mostly VFL standard for the last 3 years.

Maybe expecting more than that is our problem.
Or we give him time to develop, mature and adjust to elite sport.
Plenty of stars in all sports have flourished later in their careers.
We don't need to write him off and delist him mid season.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Or we give him time to develop, mature and adjust to elite sport.
Plenty of stars in all sports have flourished later in their careers.
We don't need to write him off and delist him mid season.

I wouldn't delist him midseason.

4 years with one good season is a fair sample though

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
I wouldn't feel sad if he never plays AFL again or finishes in lower levels of football because he may be quite happy doing what he is doing and his happiness is the only thing that matters. He may feel that he achieved his main goal in his first year, of proving that he is good enough to play well at AFL level so he has nothing more to prove. Only he knows if that's true. It would be sad if he gets into drugs and ruins his life or finishes up in jail, etc. Remember there are many players with physical talent who should not have tried to play AFL because they could not deal with the mental stress of having their work performance analysed every week, on the public stage in front of an audience of 500,000+ watching in person and on TV. AFL footballers are a special breed requiring more than just footy skills and I admire them so much for doing what most of us can't.
Hey, if he doesn’t want to play footy - then all good and best of luck in life going forward. From a selfish perspective I am sad for us as I believe he can really add something to our team when he plays like he did in his first season. Anything that strengthens our team to win another flag. If Syd doesn’t want to play - then by all means he should go and do whatever he wants to do with his life and I think all would or should wish him well. If, however, he does want to play footy at the highest level, only he can make the transition. The Club can do a certain amount to assist but it is up to the individual.

He is still a young guy but I hope he doesn’t look back annoyed and bitter if his career ends early. The old expression “you are a long time retired” springs to mind.

But absolutely, if he has had a taste and the requirements of being an AFL player going forward are not for him, then he should do what is best for himself.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
VFL report-
"It was a game of two halves for Sydney. The first half, like most of our others forwards, he really struggled to get into the game. But, he went back in the second half and attacked that really positively and had an influence down back, which was great to see."

Stack is a backman plain and simple Must be played there for the rest of the season

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
VFL report-
"It was a game of two halves for Sydney. The first half, like most of our others forwards, he really struggled to get into the game. But, he went back in the second half and attacked that really positively and had an influence down back, which was great to see."

Stack is a backman plain and simple Must be played there for the rest of the season
I’d like to write a report on Steve Morris’s coaching.
It was a game of 2 halves. First half he played Stack out of position.
Second half he had a brainwave and decided to move him back. He seemed stunned at the difference in his performance. It was a coaching masterstroke. Hope he tries it again some day.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Second half he had a brainwave and decided to move him back. He seemed stunned at the difference in his performance. It was a coaching masterstroke. Hope he tries it again some day.
How many times have we seen the same report about Stack?
FFS get him where the action is.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

He was an unimaginative player, and looks to be an unimaginative coach.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'd imagine Stevie would be taking instruction from the coaching panel on what role players on the fringe of senior selection should be prepared for.

Reactions: 9 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I'd imagine Stevie would be taking instruction from the coaching panel on what role players on the fringe of senior selection should be prepared for.
Took the words out of my mouth Ant. Sydney will be playing where the senior Coach and other coaches want him to play.

I do however agree with others that he needs to play back, or at least where he can get his hands on the ball more often.

• Love

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
So Morris would have to ask permission to send Stack back in the 2nd half?
If not then suggests to me that he has latitude to play them where and when he sees fit

Last edited:

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Think you are both right. Stack would be playing primarily forward because the AFL program wants that but Morris would move him back if he thinks the side needs it in any given game.

I'm a Stack fan but I think his time at Richmond is done. For whatever reason they've gone from having too much faith in him to having zero faith in him and he's not doing anything to turn it around.

Reactions: 5 users