Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Can’t believe how good he is , and more so, how we got him ,

That whole story has been the highlight of the season for me .

Reactions: 7 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Crap game, I saw him make two mistakes, he’s never done that in a game before.

Nobody in the media seems to have watched him this year. Before the game today they compared Stack to Walsh and Brownie commented that Walsh had been a lot more consistent. If theres one thing that Stacky has provided this year is consistently. Personally don't believe he's had a bad game. If he's meaning consistency between good and great games then yeah but that's not what he was meaning.

Walsh is good, but there seems to be a bit of a fantasy in the media about how good he's actually been.

Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Nobody in the media seems to have watched him this year. Before the game today they compared Stack to Walsh and Brownie commented that Walsh had been a lot more consistent. If theres one thing that Stacky has provided this year is consistently. Personally don't believe he's had a bad game. If he's meaning consistency between good and great games then yeah but that's not what he was meaning.

Walsh is good, but there seems to be a bit of a fantasy in the media about how good he's actually been.

Its one of the oldest debates in footy. Steady, reliable accumulators V dynamic gamebreakers. Best encapsulation of the debate was Black V Aker for the 2003 Norm Smith medal. There is no correct answer, iron clad arguments for both.. You need good exponents of both in your side. Stacky all day for me though :cool:

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Its one of the oldest debates in footy. Steady, reliable accumulators V dynamic gamebreakers. Best encapsulation of the debate was Black V Aker for the 2003 Norm Smith medal. There is no correct answer, iron clad arguments for both.. You need good exponents of both in your side. Stacky all day for me though :cool:
Every team has a swathe of good, steady, reliable accumulators. The sides with game breakers generally play regular finals n win flags. Stacka's a game breaker in his first season, kids got just about every toy in the tool box n knows how to use them all. Just waiting on the large capacity tank to arrive n fuel his motor all game long.

TigerBalm

On Victory we thrive... Just Eat Em Alive !
May 14, 2011
The Walsh/ Stack RS debate brings similarities to the Delidio/Franklin scenario. Delidio won the RS in his first year and was a fine servant of the Rfc for many years.Walsh also seems more the predictable accumulator Delidio type but our Stack is the like the Franklin phenomenon . Loved Lids but who would you rather have had. Given the opportunity who would Cartlon have between Walsh/Stack

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Acker should have won it (yes I backed him).

The Walsh/ Stack RS debate brings similarities to the Delidio/Franklin scenario. Delidio won the RS in his first year and was a fine servant of the Rfc for many years.Walsh also seems more the predictable accumulator Delidio type but our Stack is the like the Franklin phenomenon . Loved Lids but who would you rather have had. Given the opportunity who would Cartlon have between Walsh/Stack
Best to ask non Richmond or Carlton supporters (as they are biaised) who they would take.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I know one of the commentators (Lynch?) saw Stack fumble and have a poor disposal and he said something like "There's another Stack monthly mistake". It made me giggle.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I had a group of Americans sitting next to me who had just arrived in Australia and came to the footy. they were looking at Australian rules on wikipedia on their phones. They had zero idea what was going on.

when I gave them the unabridged Sydney Stack story, they were riveted.

'wait, wait, let me get this straight, no-one wanted him because he ate fried chicken? and he broke this really tough guys shoulder and he does these aboriginal dances? and he never makes a mistake? he's EIGHTEEN?'

'how much are they paying this kid?'

I couldn't answer that sorry fellas.

Reactions: 8 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Stackman just rolls up and does his thing again.

So sure footed, sure handed, poised composed and tough.

Love him how dangerous he and Shai and Daniel are together.

Stacky now going forward and Shais emergence has done some major harm to Dan Butlers prospects going forward.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He plays like a 200 game veteran. Feel assured and super confident whenever he's near the ball. Amazing.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Stack’s an excitement machine. If he continues this way he’ll be one of those players that supporters of all clubs will go to the game purely to watch him play.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
lol at all the recruiters that let him slip. Imagine letting an obvious talent like this go coz he ate some kfc at an interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Can't believe how quickly he has settled into the side. Some of his kicking into 50 especially given the conditions was brilliant. How good is it to see he Bolton Edwards Rioli Egg etc all out there showing their class in our side.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach

I recall Brown used a stats comparison to support his view as to Walsh being superior to Stack.

Well, the former plays in the middle in a cellar dwelling team. Of course, Walsh is an accumulator if he is any good.

Stack also racks it up but he’s been down back save for the last two.

But if you want the more dynamic player, who might have greater upside, then Richmond have the man in Stack.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I recall Brown used a stats comparison to support his view as to Walsh being superior to Stack.

Well, the former plays in the middle in a cellar dwelling team. Of course, Walsh is an accumulator if he is any good.

Stack also racks it up but he’s been down back save for the last two.

But if you want the more dynamic player, who might have greater upside, then Richmond have the man in Stack.

I'd already looked at this and it's just ignorant of Brown to compare Stack, who has mostly played as a defender, to a midfielder who should be averaging 25 Ds if he was any good, playing continually around the contests. Impact on games and contested ball, DE% would be a much fairer comparison.
And yes, Syd has been highly consistent, even when moved forward.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
I’m not complaining that Stack isn’t the favoured choice for the rising star. Keeps unwanted pressure off the kid, while he seems to be taking all the limelight in his stride I’m hoping the novelty doesn’t eventually wear out for he and the team’s sake

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Just counter all comparisons with this ... "Walsh cost Draft Pick No 1" End Argument. ;):p:D

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users