Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
No need to rush the selection in the top side. Thinking if we elevate him too early it maybe detrimental in the longer term.

Might pay more dividends if we wait 2 or 3 weeks more once he is fit enough. ie make him work harder for longer.

reintroduce him as sub too I reckon

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
This ain't word for word but a precis of what Balmey said on this weeks' Talking Tigers when asked about Syd:

He is not far away.
He still needs to make good decisions about how he trains and what he does and all that stuff but he is in a good place, it won't be long before he is seriously considered.
Selfishly he is really talented but has to put all the other stuff together as well which I am pretty sure he will do.
We've got make sure we keep him on the straight and narrow

So within that short summary by Balmey lies the conundrum that is Syd, extremely talented but many choices he needs to make to succeed.
In other word Sydney will be made to jump through hoops before he earns another game at senior level.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
In other word Sydney will be made to jump through hoops before he earns another game at senior level.
That's how it should be, don't you think?
Hopefully the coaches and senior blokes gave him a list of absolute non negotiables and until he lives/trains/plays to those expectations, he's not up for selection.
The fact is the club have really given him a 3rd chance and if he doesn't do the work to repay them..... well he doesn't deserve their perseverance!

Reactions: 3 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Stack is one of the few VFL players we have that can perform at senior level. Once we have to go to Naish then the cupboard is bare. Another injury and he‘ll play. He may even be sub this week
come on KK , whats wrong with Egg & Chol ?

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Not so sure.

At 21 years he will by then have made a journey from a widely publicised breach of AFL and club rules, followed by broad criticism from all quarters, followed by 3 weeks jail time, to starting in an AFL match, a journey that very few here thought he could ever achieve.

If he succeeds and makes selection that should be celebrated with a starting role.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Nah - doesn’t suit the boy. He’s the type that would get too wound up sitting still for that long. The sub should come on for him half through the fourth. The medicos could say he had star poisoning :cool:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
a 2019 version Sydney Stack running it out of the backline and causing mayhem and devastation to the likes of the Dees would be a handy addition this year

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
a 2019 version Sydney Stack running it out of the backline and causing mayhem and devastation to the likes of the Dees would be a handy addition this year
I’m a fan of Stack’s talent but his 2019 defensive exploits are way, way overrated.

Granted we were missing personnel but he was part of a defensive unit that uncharacteristically leaked like a seive in the first half of 2019. When players did return, Hardwick and co couldn’t move Stack out of defense quick enough. They even preferred to play Baker back there, someone who up to that point had never played as a defender in his life! The results show the coaches were right too. After the bye, we won every game and only conceded 70 points or more twice compared to eight times before the bye.

I suspect Stack the defender liked to chase a kick more than hold defensive structures. Something that doesn’t work in our team based defense.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
fair post TF... and thinking about it our small forwards aren't setting the world on fire right now. He did kick a few pretty creative goals. Will be interesting to see if they play him forward or back IF he gets back into the side.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
a month more of footy in him and we will see.. maybe added as a sub to start with.. 2nd half year bonus - no rush.
Unless he gets picked and dominates and then all the geniuses will say “why didn’t we pick him sooner?”
And the thing about Stacky is you know he could do it. His fitness base would be better now than it was 2 years ago when he played his first game as an 18yr old.
Its all about the noggin.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I’m a fan of Stack’s talent but his 2019 defensive exploits are way, way overrated.

Granted we were missing personnel but he was part of a defensive unit that uncharacteristically leaked like a seive in the first half of 2019. When players did return, Hardwick and co couldn’t move Stack out of defense quick enough. They even preferred to play Baker back there, someone who up to that point had never played as a defender in his life! The results show the coaches were right too. After the bye, we won every game and only conceded 70 points or more twice compared to eight times before the bye.

I suspect Stack the defender liked to chase a kick more than hold defensive structures. Something that doesn’t work in our team based defense.

interesting post TF

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I'd like to see 2019 Syd sit down Bailey (there's somethingt about Mary) Fritsch.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users