Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
So the VAFA match where he played well was when he played onball right?
It was only a pickup knockabout game of skins vs shirts But he did all that.
Was it just to build fitness or is it to build his game.

We selected him in the ones 2 weeks later.
And on his return to the amateur division he is playing as a small forward?
Lets have him starting onball this week
There are blokes in the midfield who aren't setting the world on fire, td, but are classes above Sydney. Dow is actually good but has a lot of kinks in s game. He's the #1 mid.

We're trying to make a footballer of Jack Ross. And we persevere with RCD. Juddy plays mid. (And too inside IMO.) He's a prospect. Sonsie is getting every chance.

We did give Sydders a go in the midfield at VFA level. And when he played ones Dimma put him in the middle in junk time with a licence to get a kick. Sydney didn't get one.

Ball Winning Ability. Ground game. Sydney is coming up short. We may give him another run in the guts but that would be about giving him a chance to get a kick, not about winning the game. And we have VFA class mids who can get a kick but would miss out on experience.

Sydney Stack is by no means washed up but another player just went past him. How does that effect his already low confidence?

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Fwiw I won’t be at all surprised if Sydney does get a call up this week. With our forward stars around him it won’t be too hard to give him some of the confidence boosts he needs. Then we see how we go. And he has been sub.

We looked better with young Maurice and Stack up forward.

The thing is Cumberland is doing very well at the level below.

Reactions: 1 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
What does it say about Stack when he cant even make the emergencies in a game where basically most teams are fine with selections/gifting games to players because its really culturally significant for them?

He hasn't done much wrong but I knew the writing was on the wall for him to be dropped after his first game back because he didnt rack up the possesions. He seems to be judged differently and whether that's a case of past behavior or that he doesn't "have runs on the board" so as to speak?

This round and this game in particular mean so much to the indigenous boys. I hate that this has happened to be honest.

Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
What does it say about Stack when he cant even make the emergencies in a game where basically most teams are fine with selections/gifting games to players because its really culturally significant for them?

He hasn't done much wrong but I knew the writing was on the wall for him to be dropped after his first game back because he didnt rack up the possesions. He seems to be judged differently and whether that's a case of past behavior or that he doesn't "have runs on the board" so as to speak?

This round and this game in particular mean so much to the indigenous boys. I hate that this has happened to be honest.
That's a bit offensive I think. Basically you're saying indigenous players are getting to play this round, because the round is about them. And therefore, Stack should be getting a game, because he's indigenous too.

The fact of the matter is, he was just OK in his last AFL match. Just. Some would even say below OK. He got dropped.
His next game, he hasn't played/had "his best day". I don't agree with promoting or demoting people based off race. It needs to be based off merit. The club are on the record of saying he didn't meet expectations. Case closed.

Here is Morris' take from the VFL game:

Sydney Stack (12 disposals, three marks, two inside-50s)
"Probably didn't have his best day, but I'd be looking for him to bounce back strongly because he's been in good form as of late."

PS: Others on this site have said that the VFL report is biased and never points out when a player isn't doing well. -I've strongly disagreed.
There's an indication right there of someone not stepping up and getting that feedback published publically. You can imagine the type of feedback given internally if this is what they will put online.

Reactions: 2 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
That's a bit offensive I think. Basically you're saying indigenous players are getting to play this round, because the round is about them. And therefore, Stack should be getting a game, because he's indigenous too.

Not really saying that, it is more nuanced and the word "gifted" probably shouldn't have been used by myself. Poor choice of words. There is definitely a history from many sides to make selections of indigenous players for this round or even the dreamtime game, whether it be debut or reselection.

I didn't think he did much wrong vs the Eagles and should have kept his place. He then didn't get a run as the sub and was dropped the next week. Then has a quiet day in the VFL.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
For me we need to stop playing him as a forward he is at home in the backline or when he builds a tank wing maybe patches up forward.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not really saying that, it is more nuanced and the word "gifted" probably shouldn't have been used by myself. Poor choice of words. There is definitely a history from many sides to make selections of indigenous players for this round or even the dreamtime game, whether it be debut or reselection.
We've got 8 indigenous players on the list. Shedda, Shai, Sausage n Moju are playing n the Foosh would have been if he wasn't suspended.

If we were to include Stacka just 'coz he's indigenous n we should be selecting him for dreamtime, that means we'd have to include Nigel n Parker as well. Just 'coz it wouldn't be fair otherwise.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
We've got 8 indigenous players on the list. Shedda, Shai, Sausage n Moju are playing n the Foosh would have been if he wasn't suspended.

If we were to include Stacka just 'coz he's indigenous n we should be selecting him for dreamtime, that means we'd have to include Nigel n Parker as well. Just 'coz it wouldn't be fair otherwise.
Could bring em all in and George still would'nt get the arse. :))

Last edited:
  • Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
George represents all peoples, tribes and ethnicities through his leg tattoos

Reactions: 1 user