Systematic discussion on the list | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Systematic discussion on the list

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Greetings,

I would like to get some sort of systematic discussion going on the list.  Tried to do it a whila ago on tiger talk but as you all know it gets pushed down quickly and forgotten, the another one starts, and so it goes.  Made sense to put it here, and a lot less traffic.

Could do it in a number of ways.  Categories like Delist, delist/trade, trade/keep, keep.  Could also have some basic rules like 6 delistings (remembering that 2 are already gone).  I'd reckon there would be a couple that were unanimous delistings, like Nicholl for example, and we could to-and fro or vote, discuss etc, until we came up with, for example 5 delist, 5 delist/trade, 10 trade/keep, 16 keep

I'll try and find the old one we had a go at. Here it is:

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=7418.0

Great Thread Jake the Snake !!

Let's see who's on the money come next year in terms of the make-up of the list.

Here's my educated guess (Terry take notes) -

Now lets look at this dilema from the Terry angle shall we.

Terry has stated that he will build a more skillful backline and a game plan that revolves around getting a free flowing game that will get the ball into the forward 50 quicker and more during a game.

Considering the above I would say that Kellaway, Gaspar and Chaffey would most definately not be in Terry's plans. Let's face it, they all lack the necessary skill, leg speed and awareness to fullfill Terry's wishes.

Also during Terry's time at the dogs, he much better preferred an attacking key back rather than a big stopper.......Kretiuk was a prime example as he utilised him at full back alot. Due to Gaspars and Kellaways lack of attacking ability, I would say that Terry aint a fan of theirs and would probably put them up for trade........and deservedly so IMO.

Fiora and Rodan - As Terry is a fan of quick players and as we are overall a very slow side, I beleive these 2 might survive for a year and then will be re-assessed.

Now let's look at the delistees through Terry's eyes. He has said he wants to rebuild the list. Therefore older players who struggle to be regulars would be first candidates. Fletcher, Hilton, Blumfield, Houlihan are 4 that come to mind. In fact these 4 don't provide any promise IMO so out they go. Billy Nicholls would also be delisted due to his obvious lack of pace, hardness and promise.

Marsh is interesting. If Ottens and Stafford stay then Marsh will go to make way for a young ruck.

Weller is a dud IMO but his age might save him. But his lack of pace will go against him with Terry - Delist.

Therefore you have 7 delistees - (Hilton, Fletcher, Houlihan, Blumfield, Nicholls, Marsh, Weller).

2 retires - (Rogers, Kellaway)

3 Trades - (Kellaway, Chaffey, Gaspar)

(I'd even throw Fiora in here but I beleive Terry would want to keep him and really utilise his pace in an attacking sense)

Therefore 12 changes to the list is about what I'd expect.

Promote Moore and Foley and we'll need 10 new players.

Made up of about 7 kids from the National draft (pick 1,4,22,38,54,70,71) and 3 younger recruits from other clubs via player trades and PSD.

I think I've hit the nail on the head.

Harry well done you have put a lot of thought into this, however the trade bait you have put up would need to be in demand, *smile* at 550pa even at his best is poor value,you could buy the Wakelin triplets & get change ;D the club would need to subside most of his wage at any other club, like B. Holland, D. Bourke in the past, they will be on our books for another year, only at RFC.

Try Greg Tivendale or Joel Bowden you might get something, for one or both. Both are dispensable for a centre half back centre half foward, trade/swap.
I wouldn't want any of the three you have put up for trade playing at my club good luck :'(

There are so many factors involved in a list like this.
But it makes for interesting reading IMO.

Definite Delists.
Fletcher
Nicholls
Rogers (retired)
Kellaway(retired)
Hilton

Total 5

Delist if they can't be traded.
Houlihan
Dragacevic

Keep if they can't be traded.
Blumfield etc.

Combined total 7
Delist if we have other options available and no contract is in place (In Morrison's case)
Marsh
Morrison

One of these two are likely to stay (Morrison may be contracted)

That makes 8 changes so far.

Definite trade bait.
Chaffey
Fiora
Zantuck
Rodan

Between 2 and 4 players may be traded, be they from the players listed above or not.

Offers should be fielded outside this group also. And if trades are deemed as beneficial for us then some tough decisions must be made.
Ottens should only be traded if he wants to leave. If he does want to leave, fleece the team who gets him. ;) If he stays, get a recognised and respected ruck coach.
And before I get yelled down about Zantuck (again) ;D You have to offer up players that may be perceived as valuable to other clubs needs.

So IMO we can expect between 9 and 12 changes to the list again this year. As stated before though, it is all depenent on contracts, perceived needs (lack of talls etc) and things of that nature.

Assuming we make 11 changes and that includes trading two players out for 2 players in.
We then have 9 more spots to fill.
Promote Foley and we have 8.
Two picks in the PSD and we then have six spots left for young kids. Picks 3 6 22 37 52 67.
It would be preferable to have another 1 or 2 picks in the draft but hopefully they would be picks that we have traded into.

We must take a ruckman this draft and also a true CHB. Aswell as the obvius need for midfield grunt skill pace and poise.
Best available policy should apply.

It would also be good to rookie a ruckman and a mobile KP player.

This will be much easier in a few months time. ;D

Here’s what I’d like to see, but for all the complexities of how the cards fall, contract constraints etc., it obviously won’t all happen

DELIST: Nicholls, Fletcher, Hilton, Marsh, Fleming, Dragacevic

DELIST/ TRADE: Fiora, Chaffey, Rodan, Morrison, Houlahan (might be able to get something for some of them if bundled up with a second round pick, but I’m not holding my breath)

TRADE/ KEEP: Tivendale, Pettifer, AK, Gaspar, Zantuck, Blumfield, Ottens (Ottens is the ‘circuit breaker’ as I’ve said elsewhere. We’d get a top 10 pick, a good player, and perhaps another 2nd R pick or player for him. That’s 3 players for one which we’d need with such radical list surgery, not to mention the $$ relief).

I’d also like to see Campbell retire. I’ve always liked him, but he’s gone. I don’t think it will happen though.

1 or 2 off the delist/ trade list will stay, probably 5 off the Trade/ keep list will stay. With DK and Rogers that’s 13 turnover, 14 if Campbell goes. TW said 8-12 on the radio, I don't think he was including DK and Rogers, so he actually meant 10-14

YOUTH POLICY

Trade:
Gaspar + 4th = 2nd.
A.Kellaway = 4th
Chaff + 4th = 2nd/3rd rounder

We'll answer any enquiries re: Blumfield.

DELIST:  Dunc, Rogers, Nicholls, Fletcher, Houlihan, Hilton, Dragacevic

Cambo and richo are both veterans.
I'm hanging on to marsh and Stafford to help Ottens until our draftee rucks develop

Bowdo, Johnno, Brown Tivs and flem all stay for now