TAC Draw - 2009 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TAC Draw - 2009

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
ZeroGame said:
With the Gold Coast franchise getting the best bottom aged kids this year, does anyone know if they take these kids in a draft format where the kids don't get a choice? Or is it like last year where they have access to the bottom aged kids, but they have to agree to go there and sign on?

Good question.

My recollection is that they do receive a penalty if they act to compromise the draft.

I recall that if a GC17 eligible boy doesn't make himself available, then he may well lose his right to nominate for an open draft the following year.

My advise to any boy who gets an opportunity for GC17 is take it.

Life gives limited opportunities. The AFL desperately wants to make GC17 a success.
I'm certain that the AFL will do everything to ensure that every new boy is looked after.
Guy McKenna is an example of the quality that the AFL/GC17 is investing in.
The rest is up to the boys themselves.

tannerztigers

He will Conca the world
Jul 4, 2006
Jan Juc
Watch the Falcons on the weekend.

A great outfit. The management down there I reckon is the backbone behind the team.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Had a look at GC v Nth Ballarat today at Carrara. GC won by 7 points against a fast finishing Rebels outfit.

Gee I'm impressed by how much GC has improved. I saw their first game of the season. I thought they were along way behind TAC standard in terms of skills and hardness at the contest. Skills today were outstanding. Hardness has also improved dramatically and the body shapes of the players is developing well as well. Zac Smith, the big beanpole ruckman is growing a nice physique. He is going to be an exceptional player.

For the rebels, I've made comment on Josh Free on his specific thread.

A few players for the Rebels that caught my eye:

Oliver Tate - did some classy things, got plenty of it and did one really inspirational act at one stage backing into a pack against blokes much bigger than him.

Dean Gavin - again got plenty of it. He is one of the classiest users of the footy I've seen at U18 level. Great kicking technique and hit leads at will all day.

Richard Bamblett - didn't get much of it today but when he got it my jaw dropped each time. Not a big guy at 180cm but plays bigger than that. Has great body positioning and marking technique. A real glider over the surface as well. Kicked a supurb goal on the run from outside 50m. Reminded me of Stephen Hill but with better skills. He is definitely one to watch for the future.

BrisTiger24

Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Re: TAC Draw - 2009 - Rnd 1

BrisTiger24 said:
Went to the GC v Eastern game last night. The second half was played in torrential rain so it was hard to get much out of the game. I reckon it will take GC a few weeks to come together but last night they were outclassed and outmuscled. GC look like they have a fait few softies in the side. I went with a friend of mine who umpires at QAFL state league level. He mentioned how much more physical TAC Cup was compared to QAFL U18. Not too much defensive stuff in QAFL U18 apparently and this looks like it might filter through the GC. But a few more weeks against similar opposition and they'll soon learn the importance of defensive stuff and, hopefully, harden up a bit.

Bit hard to work out who was who as I didn't have a team list but thanks to Phantom's link to the Record I can now put some names to numbers.

For GC - the big fella Zac Smith looks super promising. Does good things around the ground and is strong below his knees at ground level for a big guy.
Number 12, Jack Stanlake also looks a good prospect up forward. The bloke from PNG, Pirika (who is listed as no.45 but was wearing 33) has all the attributes to make it as an AFL player except for kicking. He looks great chasing the ball and his movement with the ball is great but he is still learning the art of kicking the sherrin, particularly kicks across his body.

For Eastern - I was most impressed by Benjamin Griffiths up forward. He went off injured in the second half but this bloke does some special stuff, he's a good mark and his kicking for goal was exceptional in the slippery conditions (as it was generally for the entire team). I'm surprised to see that he is listed at 100kg, he looks a lot more mobile than that.

Just looking back at some of my reports from GC games this year. First game against the Knights, I was impressed with Griffiths. Glad to know he's ours now. Let's hope he can get on top of his injuries.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Hadnt read this thread for ages. Interesting reading. Thanks BrisT. It's a shame GC aren't in the U18 comp anymore, might have been able to get to some games next year.

BrisTiger24

Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
BrisTiger24 said:
Anyway, with many of the Stingrays players missing due to state commitments, not many standouts on the day for them, except for one player.

I reckon I saw a future AFL star on Saturday, a Stingray player by the name of Luke Parker (no.2). This guy is very much in the Nathan Brown mould. He's listed at 182cm but this bloke takes contested marks against KP defenders. The ball just sticks in his hands. He's also good on the lead. But it's his evasive skills and his touch that make him stand out. Sublime. He did most of his work up forward but, with his touch and evasion, he stood out in the few times that he went into the midfield. He's creative and sets up guys all over the ground with correct ball use decisions.

What I couldn't believe, though, is this guy is the youngest player on the Stingrays list. He's 16 and doesn't turn 17 until October. Certainly not available in this draft. I'm not sure with the changes to the draft age whether he's even available next year. I'm also not sure if he's available to the GC this year as a 17 y/o. What this shows is how much development time he's got left. If they can develop him well over the next 2 years, he will be a superstar.

Spent today watching the televised games from this year's Champs. Took me back to 2009. Without a wife and kids and Suns playing TAC cup I watched quite a few u18 games that year. You will see my reports on this thread.

But by far my best call was this quote. Parker was playing his first or second game for the Stingrays.

I would have picked him at 6 the following year let alone at 19 instead of Batchelor.