Talkin’ Tactics 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talkin’ Tactics 2022

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
On Wednesday night I noticed how Melbourne would try and pick their way through Footscray's zone. When we were under immense pressure, the game was flying, and we got a possession in the back half, we would pump it down the ground. Chipping the ball around may not be pretty, and who knows if our players have the precision to do this, but our contested possessions after about quarter time were such that kicking to a contest was playing to a weakness.

One noticeable thing about last night's game was the sheer speed. The ball was moving up and down the ground at tremendous speed. Both sides were looking for the turnover and then run like hell towards their goals and try to link a few handpasses or kicks to score. But when the opposition are doing this and we're under the pump, you need to slow it down a bit. You also need to revert to deliberate holding possession to slow down the opposition when they have momentum.

Part of the reason we lost so many centre clearances was that Carlton kept kicking goals so the ball kept going back to the middle. If we could hold on to possession we might have been able to at least slow their momentum and then try and pick our way forward. Trying to rush the ball forward certainly wasn't working.

DS

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
We went with two defenders for our two picks inside the top 20. Long term both look like they will be good players …..With where we are at currently - interesting to see if that was the right call instead of some ready made mids like Hobbs.
With Cotch not retiring and Dusty and Prestia available. In theory a Hobbs type would've had to wait a year to play regularly. In reality Prestia injured after the first quarter. Its the worst case scenario for us.
Not throwing Ross in there was a bit of a miss. In side mid is his schtick. Plenty of wingers to play Ross's wings.

Reactions: 1 user

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
It has taken a while but I noticed that some Richmond players are starting to drop 5 metres back on the mark so they can move sideways wit5hout penalty.

Reactions: 7 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Yes. It works for me and we definitely suffocated GWS

Up yours Hocking

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
It has taken a while but I noticed that some Richmond players are starting to drop 5 metres back on the mark so they can move sideways wit5hout penalty.
Very noticeable. Graham did it in the 3rd quarter. I was at the game and it was on the AFL members side. He moved back and then was moving side to side. Umpire had a confused look on his face.

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Very noticeable. Graham did it in the 3rd quarter. I was at the game and it was on the AFL members side. He moved back and then was moving side to side. Umpire had a confused look on his face.

Ha ha *smile* you Hocking

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

I noticed that too, but it was only sometimes, more often in defence I think. Interesting to see how this plays out, some advantage to being on the mark and some advantages to being 5m away from the mark depending on context I suppose. Would also depend on how quick the umpire calls play on as being closer to a quick play on call has its advantages.

Of course, the actual solution is to remove the silly rule.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
More rule changes incoming i guess then.
Hocking’s not there any longer, and Chris Scott is an ex coach so may have a better understanding of what really *smile* up the game. I suspect the stand rule doesn’t have much of a life behind this season.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Not only move without penalty, it means it’s easier to turn and run to flood back. At points yesterday we didn’t even man the mark. Defensively, we’re happy to give the opposition anything 60m out, once we have numbers back.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Yeah I was at the game and noticed it also.
One question.
When Razor Ray yells "Stand" can you still move backwards or is it too late?
Other times seemed like our players were really rushing forward to man the mark until you get "Stand" then you have turn into cement.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Yeah I was at the game and noticed it also.
One question.
When Razor Ray yells "Stand" can you still move backwards or is it too late?
Other times seemed like our players were really rushing forward to man the mark until you get "Stand" then you have turn into cement.

evidently you have 3 or 4 seconds to jump back 5 metres or get up to the mark, but once the umpire says stand, it doesn’t matter whose *smile* your standing on, you can’t lift your foot to have a sneaky sniff.

I am waiting for some one on the mark to lose their balance and fall over and then see what the ump does.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
evidently you have 3 or 4 seconds to jump back 5 metres or get up to the mark, but once the umpire says stand, it doesn’t matter whose *smile* your standing on, you can’t lift your foot to have a sneaky sniff.

I am waiting for some one on the mark to lose their balance and fall over and then see what the ump does.
If it’s Richmond, they’ll pay a 50m penalty. Any other team the ump will help the player up.
Bloody mob of steve hockings