Talkin’ Tactics 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talkin’ Tactics 2022

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Probably why we are going with Balta Forward. if we dominate between the arcs delivery to three talls creates winning scores.

Is it possible to create a scoring machine like '72 '73 in 2022?

We won 3 flags dominating the Forward and Back zones '17, '19 & '20

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Crumbing is no longer a strength. Castagna and Aarts aren't dangerous at the foot of the pack, Stack's an enigma, DRioli has gone to defence, Jr is a long way off, Clarke is an unknown quantity, and Lambert's in ICU.

We'll be relying on Bolton, Edwards and Bakes, which is truly dangerous but ideally we'd be using them further up the ground so our midfield has competitive depth.
If we can keep Soldo/Nank/Martin/Prestia/Cotch/Lambert on the park most of the year we can afford to have Bolton/Edwards/Baker spend a lot of time forward as we at least break even in the middle with that combo. We break even getting the ball forward you would think with the 3 talls and the class of those 3 smalls we can kick a bigger score than our opposition.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Probably why we are going with Balta Forward. if we dominate between the arcs delivery to three talls creates winning scores.

Is it possible to create a scoring machine like '72 '73 in 2022?

We won 3 flags dominating the Forward and Back zones '17, '19 & '20

Going taller is also going to help us defensively. How many times last year were we clearing our D50 and kicking down the line and we would turn the ball over when they plonk their ruck there. Having Balta / Lynch having more space (no double teaming) will enable us to have that relief kick out to the wing much better and control territory in a better way.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
To make finals All you’ve got to do is beat all the bottom 10 teams

By mid season we were set but in the Back 11 we lost 4 in a row to
Collingwood (16)
saints (40)
suns (10)
WCE (4)
FOLLOWED by a loss to Freo (4) draw to hawks (0)

You either beat them or you join them.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
If we can keep Soldo/Nank/Martin/Prestia/Cotch/Lambert on the park most of the year we can afford to have Bolton/Edwards/Baker spend a lot of time forward...
That's a very big IF.

Lambo is looking like missing most or all of the year, Cotch and Meatballs have had a poor recent history and Nank has also had durability issues due to his physicality. You can add COVID positives to the mix of reasons Shed, Bolton and Bakes might not spend much time crumbing.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
That's a very big IF.

Lambo is looking like missing most or all of the year, Cotch and Meatballs have had a poor recent history and Nank has also had durability issues due to his physicality. You can add COVID positives to the mix of reasons Shed, Bolton and Bakes might not spend much time crumbing.
Well if that all happens we won't be pushing for another flag. We need to have pretty much everything go right on an injury front.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Well if that all happens we won't be pushing for another flag. We need to have pretty much everything go right on an injury front.
dont be so pessimistic, if multiple stars miss extended time we will probably be in trouble, but having a couple out at any time is coverable. i reckon we have decent depth all over the ground, except maybe KPD which is dependent on Gibcus, Miller and/or Nyuon playing well.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Crumbing is no longer a strength. Castagna and Aarts aren't dangerous at the foot of the pack, Stack's an enigma, DRioli has gone to defence, Jr is a long way off, Clarke is an unknown quantity, and Lambert's in ICU.

We'll be relying on Bolton, Edwards and Bakes, which is truly dangerous but ideally we'd be using them further up the ground so our midfield has competitive depth.
With three mobile tall forwards we don't have to bomb. We've already seen we can space the defence by hitting up leads. No one gets double-teamed and we have the long out to the square with Nank/Soldo. You know who can crumb that? Jack.

George is good for a goal a game. I expect Stack to kick 20+ and don't be surprised if Sonsie snags a few.

Like Scoop says, we have to go this way.

Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Yes, Spook. No other choice.

Fast break delivery to leading talks in space will be the order of the day.

Reactions: 1 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
I notice that the Bullies were using a tactic I have been suggesting since May last year.

The player on the mark would drop back 5 metres so they can then move sideways to counter the play on without getting penalised.

The exception being in the defensive fifty for obvious reasons.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I notice that the Bullies were using a tactic I have been suggesting since May last year.

The player on the mark would drop back 5 metres so they can then move sideways to counter the play on without getting penalised.

I didn’t think it was very effective as the “man on the mark” is so far away from the player with the ball that he couldn’t effectively defend.

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005

Having not read the rule, is this permissable?
I would have thought once the Umpire calls "stand", regardless of where the man is standing, he is obliged not to move off the line?

If what you're saying is indeed correct, I would think the AFL would close this loophole very quickly

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
A timely, old lesson reinforced from the Melbourne game: It's not what you do, it's how long it takes you to do it.

Like us, Melbourne move the ball faster than the opposition can set up. And in reverse, they setup faster than the opposition can attack.

Defence always wins… unless you can attack before they defend. Every attacking situation falls into 1 of 2 categories: When the oppo is ready or when they're not ready. If they're not ready to defend, it’s a matter of time. You're dead if you let them have time to deploy their team-wide defensive structure in your forward line. Because defence always wins.

Melbourne often used the forward handball as one way to attack quicker than the Bulldogs could defend. The ball regularly went 80m in 3 seconds. How long does it take for the oppo to react and close that space? Again, a question of time.

People tend to prefer the idea of manipulating space more than manipulating time. You can see things in the space in front of you. If you look for an answer through a perfect kick or a perfect mark, then you're thinking about manipulating space better than they can. That means you're thinking from a talent-based philosophy, where players are valued for their competence more than their effort or character. That’s generally associated with results-driven, authoritative, hierarchical business structures (picture Adelaide under Tex), as opposed to flatter, process-driven, more group-driven, collaborative ones. I watch the game and think about how Melbourne and us are preoccupied with manipulating time. I’m looking at how quickly a player does something, and both Melbourne and Richmond look like masters in this area - it’s about how long it takes you to fire up those flux capacitors.

Melbourne's game last night was more of the same. It's what we do. So, we just have to beat them at our own game. Preferably when the clock strikes 10:04pm, which we're primed to hit this year.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
123cups, I agree with a lot of that but Melbourne were able to find space when they attacked slower too. Clearly more effective when on a burst but they are getting very good at delivering to their forwards. Be interesting to see how they go against a better defence. Footscray are a very good team but defence is their weakness.

DS

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
With three mobile tall forwards we don't have to bomb. We've already seen we can space the defence by hitting up leads. No one gets double-teamed and we have the long out to the square with Nank/Soldo. You know who can crumb that? Jack.

George is good for a goal a game. I expect Stack to kick 20+ and don't be surprised if Sonsie snags a few.

Like Scoop says, we have to go this way.
Castagna could have a norm smith but his radar was left behind in the bag in the rooms

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
We went with two defenders for our two picks inside the top 20. Long term both look like they will be good players …..With where we are at currently - interesting to see if that was the right call instead of some ready made mids like Hobbs.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
We went with two defenders for our two picks inside the top 20. Long term both look like they will be good players …..With where we are at currently - interesting to see if that was the right call instead of some ready made mids like Hobbs.
Was picking 3 defenders, a small forward and a midfielder a vote of confidence in our young midfielders who have been on the list for a few years?

If it was a vote of confidence, perhaps we should start selecting the likes of RCD, Dow and Martyn.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
We can have all the tactics in the world but footy is basic in the end. If you can’t get your hands on the ball then you lose.

We need 2-3 midfielders who can get the ball and until we have them we will struggle

Reactions: 3 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Brisbane had a good tactic when their midfield was being dominated by a rampaging Sydney midfield back during their 3 premierships.

Just belt the crap out of the ball towards your goal, this takes their dominant midfield out of the equation.

We had the rucks to do this but not once did we try to clear the ball away from their midfielders.