Talkin’ Tactics 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talkin’ Tactics 2022

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Absolutely Aces. If we are to expect Nank / Soldo to play in tandem in 2022, that's precisely where CCJ might feel he isn't part of the seniors mix.

This is why a trade with GC might just be something that makes good list management sense.

In fact, with Soldo returning, I'm coming around to the idea of trading CCJ.
If CCJ can net us pick 3 from GC then it’s a no-brainer.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Great post Carter. Couldn’t agree more. Our stoppage work this year was EFL like. Not good enough. It needs addressing. I was very much against someone like Dunstan. Because he can’t kick. He is worse than Castsgna. Much worse. But he instantly improves us in an area where are shithouse in. And he is free.
No. Dunstan butchers it as you said.
The best teams inside mids don't butcher it.
We need to recruit good disposers of the ball.
Transitional midfielders.
Dunstan is delisted for a reason.

Reactions: 5 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Our problems are simply

- we lack pace around the centre clearance - our goto clearance players of Prestia, Cotch, Edwards and Lambert have passed that peak level they had over the 2017 - 2020. Melb have gone way past us n this area and they have an elite ruck as well - we have Bolton coming through, others?

- our defence has also lost its shape - how do Grimes / Vlas now compare with other defences - we have Balta coming through but as others mentioned, we have lost our strength of defending higher up the ground - this is structural.

- it’s hard to comment without seeing games live, but our team couldn’t generate numbers from contest to contest which was a strength during our dynasty period. Is that fitness, age, desire, injuries (lack of game continuity) I don’t know but I can’t see the gut running players of Lambert, Aarts, Edwards doing it now. Questions now whether George and Pickett can keep doing it and whether Dan Rioli can go back to that role also.

We will never get our connection right across the ground and with our forwards if these three things are not working. We have a bit of work to do over summer and with our recruiting.
All this.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Put Shai in the centre is my first 2022 tactic

Reactions: 1 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
pace and clean hands needed in the midfield as well as strong bodies

Cotch & Graham are our strong bodies

Dusty , Prestia , Lambert , Bolton and Edwards have been our clean hands and pace thru the midfield

we do need depth to cover injury and in the not too distant future replace some of those guys

Stack will a full preseason could run thru the middle
RCD is promising to reach that level
The like Dow as a prospect but he is still a bit skinny

so does it emphasise we need to draft a good one and trade in a ready made one ?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
We gotta get past Melbourne, you say?

Some of football's greatest and most learned luminaries believe that defence wins flags. In that spirit, let us examine the all-important defensive match-ups of a hypothetical grand final based on current lists October 14 2021:

Neal-Bullen >>> Broad (seriously, Broad could win a Norm Smith on this bloke)

McDonald >>> Balta (Noah has Tom covered)

Sparrow >>> Stack (My money's on the Stackman)

Fritsch >>> Grimes (Bayley is mince meat.)

Brown >>> Tarrant (Owned and beaten like a dog by Tarrant. There is no question here.)

Spargo >>> Rioli (Run off him, Daniel, fly, fly fly)

Petracca >>> Vlastuin (Flossy to run intercept until Trac drifts into F50. From there it is a net loss to Melbourne)

It is self-evident from my extensive analysis that the only reason Melbourne jagged this year's flag is that Footscray had one of the worst backlines September has ever seen.

The smart money is Richmond in 2022. Keep it quiet yeah?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
1. I think our 15 metre chip kick into the deep defensive pocket and then the down the line kick is past used by date. A more offensive defensive line.

2. We need to develop a proper strategy to hit our forwards on the chest inside 50. Ball inside 50, ball outside 50 doesn't work. Is forward midget chaos theory still a thing?

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Looking at our recent draft haul our tactics are clear. Speed of foot, speed of ball and elite ball use.

All players taken have this in spades. We are doubling down on ball movement at speed. Run and carry. Break the lines.

Speed kills. Good times.

Reactions: 7 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Was looking at the profiles of all the players, and all of them were rated as above average or better for ball use.

I think we've learned from the stand rule, we're going to start moving away from the Castagna and possibly even Flappers
type of player. We want to be fast, we want to be clean. Exciting.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Was looking at the profiles of all the players, and all of them were rated as above average or better for ball use.

I think we've learned from the stand rule, we're going to start moving away from the Castagna and possibly even Flappers
type of player. We want to be fast, we want to be clean. Exciting.
I still expect the likes of Flappers to play a key role. Hardwick loves defending the corridor and Flappers does this perfectly. Can Hugo step up and fill the other wing but on a more attacking front?

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
1. I think our 15 metre chip kick into the deep defensive pocket and then the down the line kick is past used by date. A more offensive defensive line.

2. We need to develop a proper strategy to hit our forwards on the chest inside 50. Ball inside 50, ball outside 50 doesn't work. Is forward midget chaos theory still a thing?
Make use of Tommy as a lead up, rather than a spoiler for the crumb. That's been the Jack style as the No.1 forward, now it's Tommy time, get him lead up to elite kicks. Just hope he ready to put his kicking boots on!

Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Looking at our recent draft haul our tactics are clear. Speed of foot, speed of ball and elite ball use.

All players taken have this in spades. We are doubling down on ball movement at speed. Run and carry. Break the lines.

Speed kills. Good times.

Love it Aces

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
So here’s the thing.

You ain’t stopping teams on transition between the arcs in 2022.

The stand rule means teams can move the ball far too fluently for that. They’ve been training it for two years now.

Ping pong footy is here to stay.

What does that mean for the heavy forward press? Probably too risky.

What does that mean for a defensive matrix between the arcs? Too easy to slice through.

What does that mean for numbers around stoppage? Some teams will deploy this way, get the leather moving from the coal face. We won’t be.

Half back is where you can still reliably intercept the pill and explode very quickly.

Who did we recruit again? An interceptor.

What interests me about our apparent plans so far is an abandonment of forward containment. Balta up forward means many, many things. A pivotal move.

For starters, Lynch and Jack get to lead like under 12 forwards. No small thing for two of the best exponents of this art in the league.

Second, it means we will routinely send one of Nankervis and Soldo down back for cover.

Tarrant, Grimes, Vlastuin, Broad, Miller, Gibcus, (Soldo), (Nankervis).

Aerial men. All are critical. Gibcus more than folks may think.

Along with two of the hardest running defensive wingmen in the game in KMac and Pickett.

Our midfield is there to man up on transition when we don’t have the ball and get involved in passing triangles when we do.

Gone are the days of the long DTL. Teague won’t cop that. Modern footy will slaughter you if you serve it up too often.

We will pull the trigger on chaos ball when it’s loose but we will pass the ball by foot when it’s under control.

2022 is about aerial power in F50. Teams will flood back so you will need to be able to:

1) separate oppo interceptors

2) play 3 talls who can pluck

Finally, hard running tacklers like Castagna and Aarts to round things out. Trapping the ball is a bonus, no longer an expectation.

So manage your expectation around F50 leakage. All sides will leak more than a boozy Clive Palmer *smile*.

In short, using three marking lanes effectively in F50 will determine how far teams can go.

Lynch, Riewoldt, Balta, (Soldo), (Nankervis).

How do we stack up?

Will be fascinating to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So here’s the thing.

You ain’t stopping teams on transition between the arcs in 2022.

The stand rule means teams can move the ball far too fluently for that. They’ve been training it for two years now.

Ping pong footy is here to stay.

What does that mean for the heavy forward press? Probably too risky.

What does that mean for a defensive matrix between the arcs? Too easy to slice through.

What does that mean for numbers around stoppage? Some teams will deploy this way, get the leather moving from the coal face. We won’t be.

Half back is where you can still reliably intercept the pill and explode very quickly.

Who did we recruit again? An interceptor.

What interests me about our apparent plans so far is an abandonment of forward containment. Balta up forward means many, many things. A pivotal move.

For starters, Lynch and Jack get to lead like under 12 forwards. No small thing for two of the best exponents of this art in the league.

Second, it means we will routinely send one of Nankervis and Soldo down back for cover.

Tarrant, Grimes, Vlastuin, Broad, Miller, Gibcus, (Soldo), (Nankervis).

Aerial men. All are critical. Gibcus more than folks may think.

Along with two of the hardest running defensive wingmen in the game in KMac and Pickett.

Our midfield is there to man up on transition when we don’t have the ball and get involved in passing triangles when we do.

Gone are the days of the long DTL. Teague won’t cop that. Modern footy will slaughter you if you serve it up too often.

We will pull the trigger on chaos ball when it’s loose but we will pass the ball by foot when it’s under control.

2022 is about aerial power in F50. Teams will flood back so you will need to be able to:

1) separate oppo interceptors

2) play 3 talls who can pluck

Finally, hard running tacklers like Castagna and Aarts to round things out. Trapping the ball is a bonus, no longer an expectation.

So manage your expectation around F50 leakage. All sides will leak more than a boozy Clive Palmer *smile*.

In short, using three marking lanes effectively in F50 will determine how far teams can go.

Lynch, Riewoldt, Balta, (Soldo), (Nankervis).

How do we stack up?

Will be fascinating to watch.

Interesting take. I reckon Dimma would be damned frustrated if we can't hold the ball inside 50, but if that is the way the game goes then we have to adjust.

You are likely correct but I haven't seen enough really to conclude this, I do hope we can at least pressure any exits from our forward 50, but that is not so easy with the absurd stand rule. What a way to wreck the game. The AFL might have dreams of high scoring shoot-outs with the changes they make, but really, if you remove the ability to keep the ball inside 50, and you give the team exiting their back line an easy path across the middle (widest part of the ground, most space) with the stand rule, then I wonder what they are expecting. Because the coaches will respond with one thing and one thing only - clog up the last line of defence. Sounds like an exciting game they are creating :rolleyes: Of course, it could be just the excuse they are looking for to introduce limits to the number of players in each part of the ground, which really would mean the end of Australian Rules Football as we have known it.

Hopefully if this is the case we can capitalise on having 3 tall forwards. If this is the analysis then Balta forward is essential, along with ruck rotations or the like.

DS

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Great post, Carts. really enjoyed reading your insights/analysis ... far more detailed and considered than I could ever envisage doing.
I guess I am still a little confused as to how footy is played nowadays, so I shall look forward to watching the Tigers play and see how sorts of structures and game plans and playing styles will eventuate.
In the end, the complexities and match matrixes are often beyond my comprehension.
just as long as it all means that the Tigers are standing on THAT dais with the silverware held aloft.

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
For starters, Lynch and Jack get to lead like under 12 forwards.

My concern is whether we can honour those leads. Having the likes of Pickett, Castagna and KMac trying to deliver the ball with precision into our forward line, rather than bombing away, is where we could fall down. It didn't matter when our forward line was small and we brought so much pressure, but with 3 talls I'm worried that the ball is going to come back very quickly.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
How is it 17 v 17 when the player on the mark cannot move but the player who has the ball . . . well, they have the bloody ball!

You can hide behind this notion that the only criticism of the stand rule is somehow Richmond supporters unhappy we didn't make the 8, but everyone hates it.

Plus, by giving a clear advantage to the team with the ball to move it quickly down the ground in more space, the obvious counter is to clog up their forward line, creating congestion, which is precisely what the AFL say they want to avoid.

It may well be the case that the stand rule did not make much difference to the clogging up of forward lines and subsequent congestion, but it certainly did not make the situation any better, if anything, it is worse.

DS