Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

I know this is Sky News (its the Business channel so a bit better), and Roger Montgomery explains the issue with inflation much better than I have above. Explaining growing input costs which are driving our inflation numbers essentially as a tax on households, which is an excellent example, as there is little we can do about it. Can't afford meat because the price has gone up, well I'll buy veg (oh they've gone up too), ok I'll eat more grains (what they've increased too) etc. The increases in inflation costings are essentially unavoidable in many cases, which makes it even more imperative that we aren't too trigger happy on interest rates, as this could cause a much worse impact to our economy than what the current high inflation environment is causing.

Yeah, difficult situation.

I still think they will go for at least one more interest rate rise. Apart from anything else interest rates are still at historically low levels. But the RBA may sit back and see what happens rather than going for more interest rate rises. It looked like a few rises would happen when you viewed it all from earlier this year, but the nature of the current inflation means you don't get much bang from interest rate rises, they just don't address the real cause. On the other hand, something needs to be done about rising house prices and raising interest rates does have an impact on that.

We'll see what happens, the future is always an unknown.

DS

Not sure if this is the thread for it but I'm already over old Queenie's celebrations. Astounds me a monarchy still exists.

Here's hoping Labor cut ties as soon as the old girl is gone. (By the way wouldn't be surprised if that has already happened and there's a bit of make up being used to keep a replacement going for the celebrations.)

Reactions: 1 users
A few loonies think the Queen's longevity is because she eats babies. That's ridiculous. She simply has a dungeon full of children to give her regular transfusions of fresh young blood.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I think Morrison actually thought he could just sit on the backbench for 3 years and do nothing, keep a low profile, maybe go to Hawaii for a few weeks, cultivate a few business ventures, consultancies, and draw his $200k pa salary or whatever it is.

Then he stopped and had a think about it.
If he does leave I hope he's still part of the forthcoming Federal ICAC..

Reactions: 1 user
Weirdly Scott Morrison still living in Kirribilli House 10 days after the election.

Just saw media have labelled him 'Squat Morrison'. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Following Penny Wong's visit to Samoa, Australia has gifted Samoa a new coast guard patrol boat.
Morrison might be convinced to drag his sorry arse out of Kirribilli if Albo was to offer him the Skippers job, Craig Ellis could be his first mate.
Morrison would be able to do some on water bulldozing if he spots any of those pesky Chinese snooping around.

Last edited:
  • Haha
It won't, purely because the NRA owned republicans will block any national reforms in the Senate. But at least he's trying.

They seem to be talking about trying to deal with the 2nd amendment. What the Dems need to do is to go after State parliaments. Very difficult as elections are run by partisan bodies in the USA and the gerrymandering is huge. But, this can work if they can get people out to vote.

To make a constitutional change in the USA you need a majority in both houses of congress and a majority in two-thirds of states. Hence the need to get control of State parliaments. Also, even if you get the 2nd amendment repealed, you then need to pass gun control laws in State parliaments. All the second amendment does is to prevent gun control laws by making them unconstitutional, you still need the State parliaments to pass gun control laws which won't happen with the GOP controlling the State parliaments.

This is very difficult and would take cultural change as gun control laws won't get rid of the ridiculous number of guns already in circulation in the USA.

Crazy the way the Republicans object so vehemently to controlling peoples' right to own a gun but are so enthusiastic about controlling women's bodies, well, not crazy, just misogyny.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
It's not the second amendment, or other constitutional rights per se, it's the interpretation of it. When it suits some, it is a literal word for word definition that must be followed, but other times it can be about the intent of what the originals writers were trying to convey.

US is *smile*. All that really matters now is whether other western democracies will follow down the US path or will they be able to steer in a different direction. Then there's the question of what nation/block of nations can counter China's global dominance when the US decides it doesn't care what happens outside it's borders.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, the US is screwed. Which is why it's concerning we seem so determined to tie our fate to theirs.

It's not the second amendment, or other constitutional rights per se, it's the interpretation of it. When it suits some, it is a literal word for word definition that must be followed, but other times it can be about the intent of what the originals writers were trying to convey.

US is *smile*. All that really matters now is whether other western democracies will follow down the US path or will they be able to steer in a different direction. Then there's the question of what nation/block of nations can counter China's global dominance when the US decides it doesn't care what happens outside it's borders.
We need to work with China, not follow the US blindly into a confrontation with them.

Yes, it's too simplistic to say "only weapons in well-regulated militias" - the intent seems to have been people have the right to bear arms and then be organised in well-regulated militias to resist tyranny.

Of course the founders did not antipate military grade weapons, high crime rates, the "war on drugs" etc which has led to the militarisation of the police and the rapid spread of guns into the community.

I agree. I have no issue with every US citizen being able to own a musket

Sounds like a religion.