Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Most people wouldn't even know the pandemic legislation was extended. But they will know if mask mandates and other things are reintroduced and Dan knows that will create a backlash against him. He has spent the past two years telling us that all he is doing is following the health advice and now all of a sudden he is ignoring it? With an election 4 months away? Coincidence much? It is naive or biased to think that this decision is not in some way politically motivated.

I don't like a mask mandate but completely understand why they are put in place and would abide if it was reintroduced. I have already gone back to wearing them in indoor public spaces where it is difficult to get physical distance.
Covid spiking here in Brisbane. I'm doing the same. I know there are exceptions and occasionally you can forget (I forgot to take mine to the Metricon last week!), but its starting to be a bit of a game of spot the smart people.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
My wife and I never stopped wearing a mask when shopping.
We use the wipes on the shopping trollies and baskets.
Got sanitiser in the car, wipe our hands after we've put the shopping in.
Wearing a mask is not an issue for us.
Stay healthy everyone.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
My wife and I never stopped wearing a mask when shopping.
We use the wipes on the shopping trollies and baskets.
Got sanitiser in the car, wipe our hands after we've put the shopping in.
Wearing a mask is not an issue for us.
Stay healthy everyone.
Have been doing the same. I even carry a can of Glen 20 in my golf bag and use it after grabbing a pin or bag trolley that someone else has been using or whatever.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Probably because they spent two years sitting at home, losing jobs, losing businesses, losing life styles, wearing face nappies, getting jabs n more jabs n boosters n still there's thousands of people getting covid every day n the same heads are gibbering the same message every day about how everyone will be saved from covid.
Just a constantly rotating pile of steaming *smile* n most people are thoroughly jack of it n have gone back to living their lives as best they can regardless.
Good post.
Most people I deal with it just try to ignore it now...problem is, it's real.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
who is "they?" and where is your source?
Aus Health minister Mark Butler.
He said yesterday on radio he expects millions of Aussies to get covid in next 6 weeks.
Says 1 in 5 people in Vic and Nsw are likely to get it.

I've know another 4 people today who have tested positive.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Aus Health minister Mark Butler.
He said yesterday on radio he expects millions of Aussies to get covid in next 6 weeks.
Says 1 in 5 people in Vic and Nsw are likely to get it.

I've know another 4 people today who have tested positive.

I've booked in my for 4th shot next week. I'm going to Townsville in 17 days, then onto Adelaide for the Port game.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
4 shots in 12 months plus 2 flu jabs I suspect?
That's a shot every 60 days.
My wife has had the 6 obviously being in health care.

4 workers reported being positive at work this morning.
It's on.

• Sad

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Wife got her 4th shot yesterday, I got my flu jab and getting my 4th shot on Monday.

Stay healthy everyone.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
"The distinction between the US and Australian military forces is being erased as the ADF is turned into an American plug-in and as Australia becomes an armed base for US forces; paying for the privilege of becoming a nuclear target in the process."

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
4 shots in 12 months plus 2 flu jabs I suspect?
That's a shot every 60 days.
My wife has had the 6 obviously being in health care.

4 workers reported being positive at work this morning.
It's on.
not that what you say isnt of interest, but there is a covid thread for these posts.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Anyway. Cabinet meeting in an hour.

I reckon iso rules will change from 7 days to 5 days from August but that's the least of our worries.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Good post.
Most people I deal with it just try to ignore it now...problem is, it's real.

It is real and I think most people accept that, the problem is what is the long term scenario for dealing with Covid. I understand and completely agree with you re healthworkers and covid payments, its ridiculous that we have taken this away, even if it was only reintroduced for specific jobs (ie. healthcare workers, police etc).

There are calls from some parts to bring lockdowns etc back in which I think are unlikely. Covid is going nowhere and should IMO be stated as an endemic particularly in countries where vaccination rates are 90%+, but we cannot get to a point where we lockdown every winter to protect against it. I was fully behind the lockdowns in 2020 and 2021 but now we have vaccination rates up then its unpalatable to shut down a country to deal with it, once vaccination rates are at this level. Maybe they need stronger messaging around 4th jabs etc but we are in a period where we deal with it, and agree part of that debate is ensuring those put at great risk of contracting it (ie. healthcare workers) are not unfairly targeted by not receiving pay for when they cannot work due to contracting Covid possibly whilst they were at work.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Personally, I think these payments should only be available to people who, at the minimum, are triple vaccinated.

I've had enough of selfish people who won't get vaccinated, but are very happy to clog up our hospitals and put stress on our health workers.

"Two COVID-19 support payments will be reinstated to ensure Australians who catch the virus and cannot work are financially protected.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese met with state and territory leaders during national cabinet on Saturday and the group decided to restore the pandemic leave payments until September 30.
The payments support workers, especially casual employees who do not receive sick leave, to have a $750 payment while isolating with COVID-19 to subsidise loss of income."

https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...-meeting/eb74125d-d7d9-418c-ac5b-df2a7361963d

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Personally, I think these payments should only be available to people who, at the minimum, are triple vaccinated.

I've had enough of selfish people who won't get vaccinated, but are very happy to clog up our hospitals and put stress on our health workers.

"Two COVID-19 support payments will be reinstated to ensure Australians who catch the virus and cannot work are financially protected.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese met with state and territory leaders during national cabinet on Saturday and the group decided to restore the pandemic leave payments until September 30.
The payments support workers, especially casual employees who do not receive sick leave, to have a $750 payment while isolating with COVID-19 to subsidise loss of income."

https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...-meeting/eb74125d-d7d9-418c-ac5b-df2a7361963d

I tend to agree and that means healthcare workers retain it. Covid will be part of us for a long time, so maybe this needs to be included as part of any EBA negotiations that nurses / doctors go through (assuming they have an EBA - assume nurses as a minimum do).

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
I know this bloke doesn't hold a hose, and plenty of things are not his job, but I can't understand that a former prime minister (deliberate small p & m) could suggest that people should not have faith in the government.

Is he the worst prime minister Australia has ever had?

Reactions: 3 users