Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Good old Dan. He’s up there with the most controlling, secretive politicians of recent times. Not Scomo levels but no transparency.
There are two different things here.
The first is whether media should be able to report preliminary findings. To me the answer is a very obvious no. How can natural justice be served by reporting something in public when individual(s) haven’t had a chance to respond? I have been peripheries of two IBAC reports ( nothing to do with politics btw) and my only comment on those is that if the original reports had been published without a response they would have been extremely unfair. That response is incredibly important
The second issue is public hearings. To be honest I am not a fan but not for any reason of secrecy. I don’t trust our media to be balanced in the reporting. I don’t trust them to not have people unfairly found guilty on the front page.
I like that our hearings are overwhelmingly not public because I think it is much more balanced to get a report with a response rather than a blow by blow media circus.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There are two different things here.
The first is whether media should be able to report preliminary findings. To me the answer is a very obvious no. How can natural justice be served by reporting something in public when individual(s) haven’t had a chance to respond? I have been peripheries of two IBAC reports ( nothing to do with politics btw) and my only comment on those is that if the original reports had been published without a response they would have been extremely unfair. That response is incredibly important
The second issue is public hearings. To be honest I am not a fan but not for any reason of secrecy. I don’t trust our media to be balanced in the reporting. I don’t trust them to not have people unfairly found guilty on the front page.
I like that our hearings are overwhelmingly not public because I think it is much more balanced to get a report with a response rather than a blow by blow media circus.

It really is not as simple as some make out is it?

These are fair points and there are fair points for public hearings too, preliminary findings in the hands of the media I reckon is a clear no.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

Good old Dan. He’s up there with the most controlling, secretive politicians of recent times. Not Scomo levels but no transparency.

You see how The Age spin it though? "IBAC Chief Wanted Andrews Corruption Probe To Be Heard In Public."

There is actually no evidence Andrews is being “probed” or under “Investigation.” They made this claim 3 other times and were wrong. No apologies or retractions. They are just spinning it to make people think he is and its hard to dispute this as information relating to the hearing can’t be shared publicly.

Its really frustrating and appalling journalism.

Reactions: 3 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
You see how The Age spin it though? "IBAC Chief Wanted Andrews Corruption Probe To Be Heard In Public."

There is actually no evidence Andrews is being “probed” or under “Investigation.” They made this claim 3 other times and were wrong. No apologies or retractions. They are just spinning it to make people think he is and its hard to dispute this as information relating to the hearing can’t be shared publicly.

Very true Ian, but precisely what you'd expect from a media outlet that keeps getting further & further away from "truth in journalism"
The Age used to be a paper that would be bipartisan, unfortunately that's no longer the case

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Good step forward by Albo to meet with Xi. Whilst I don't trust the Chinese, keep your friends close & your enemies closer.

Interesting take by Stan Grant:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-16/joe-biden-xi-jinping-and-anthony-albanese-g20/101658012

But my biggest issue with Stan Grant's analysis is his adulation of so-called Liberal-Democracy with little room for challenging whether Liberal-Democracy actually delivers on its promises.

Just as an example, at the start of the article he says:

We do not live in a global rules-based order. We live in a power-based order.

Yep, agree there, the so-called rules based order is a fig leaf to try and hide the realities of a system based on hierarchical power relations.

But later he says:

We must share a world with a power and a man that wants a greater say in the rules-based order. But may yet still be prepared to play by the rules.

What? I though we didn't live in a rules based order, that's what you said earlier.

There needs to be more questioning of the way the world order functions. I suspect there will be as the power relations alter with the rise of China and the relative decline of the USA.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

It is.
To be fair to The Age they did also run this today
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...-donation-investigations-20221115-p5byb7.html

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Surprise surprise surprise, ScuMo is going to use taxpayers money to defend himself during the Robodebt inquiry.

€¥#% Of the highest order.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Geez Philip Lowe has some cheek. Year after year of failed RBA policy has led us to this high inflation picture we are in and yet he has the audacity to blame it on others.

1st he came out saying, sorry guys, we know inflation is spiralling, but you can't ask for wage growth as I'll just increase your interest rates again, you know give with 1 hand, take with the other right. You poor people need to take it on the chin because the RBA *smile* up. We didn't see that holding interest rates so low for so long would have a coiled spring effect when impacted by external pressures.

Then to come out and apologise to the Nation because people went out and bought houses when he said he wouldn't increase interest rates until 2024 (it was a stupid comment and he should never have stated a timeline, but IMO that shows Lowe's and the RBA's arrogance around the economy, they think they are more powerful than they really are at their ability to control the economy).

His responses are poor and heartless, ie. sorry we *smile* up, but you guys (particularly the people on lower incomes) will have to wear it. I'll sit here in my $1.1m job, with no mortgage, and go "whoops, I stuffed that up, oh well".

IMO his incompetence over years is on show here (and all central banks around the world, they've all been sitting back, patting each other on the back for years for "controlling inflation" and yet all they were doing was setting everyone else up for an almighty fall. When they were "controlling inflation", there was backslapping and "we" are controlling this. Now they have lost control, it isn't their fault, they are sorry and "you" will have to pay for it.

Should resign IMO but I doubt he will. He'll just wait and see wage growth (we've just seen the last quarter, average wage growth for the quarter was a little over 1% - just over 4% for the year) and he will be sitting waiting to push his increase button right before Christmas as the Scrooge that he is.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
All the talk of a wage-price spiral is just another tactic to keep wages down. Real wages have fallen for years. The profit share of total income is higher than it has been for years.

The bastards just don't want wages to rise, and they increase interest rates while they are at it and take another opportunity to lobby against wage rises.

DS

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Tony Burke nailing Morrison to the wall regarding potential censure for multiple ministeries. He's a dodgy *smile*.
Been for a walk,
washed the car,
dewormed the dog,
hung out the laundry,
mopped the floor,
colour sorted me jocks.....

Has Morrison finished talking about what a great job he did saving the country?

• Haha

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Geez Philip Lowe has some cheek. Year after year of failed RBA policy has led us to this high inflation picture we are in and yet he has the audacity to blame it on others.

1st he came out saying, sorry guys, we know inflation is spiralling, but you can't ask for wage growth as I'll just increase your interest rates again, you know give with 1 hand, take with the other right. You poor people need to take it on the chin because the RBA *smile* up. We didn't see that holding interest rates so low for so long would have a coiled spring effect when impacted by external pressures.

Then to come out and apologise to the Nation because people went out and bought houses when he said he wouldn't increase interest rates until 2024 (it was a stupid comment and he should never have stated a timeline, but IMO that shows Lowe's and the RBA's arrogance around the economy, they think they are more powerful than they really are at their ability to control the economy).

His responses are poor and heartless, ie. sorry we *smile* up, but you guys (particularly the people on lower incomes) will have to wear it. I'll sit here in my $1.1m job, with no mortgage, and go "whoops, I stuffed that up, oh well".

IMO his incompetence over years is on show here (and all central banks around the world, they've all been sitting back, patting each other on the back for years for "controlling inflation" and yet all they were doing was setting everyone else up for an almighty fall. When they were "controlling inflation", there was backslapping and "we" are controlling this. Now they have lost control, it isn't their fault, they are sorry and "you" will have to pay for it.

Should resign IMO but I doubt he will. He'll just wait and see wage growth (we've just seen the last quarter, average wage growth for the quarter was a little over 1% - just over 4% for the year) and he will be sitting waiting to push his increase button right before Christmas as the Scrooge that he is.
Agree with much of that, surprised he still has a job.

One benefit of these interest rate increases is the crazy annual increases in property prices has officially ended. And I'll give you a cast iron guarantee that prices will go further backwards next year (in our area prices are 10-15% down on their peak) as more people come out of their fixed interest period and realise they cannot afford their own mortgage and 2 investment properties. And we see a flood of properties on the market (the only reason we haven't seen more significant falls yet is the lack of stock on the market). Yes they get a tax break on the increased loss generated by higher holding costs but there will be a lot of people looking to find an extra $10K a year plus in interest costs that won't be able to.

I was really hoping Labour would look at the whole investment property area and wind back some of the policies that IMO have influenced the massive price increase in property prices over the years.

All that being said people that cannot afford a 2.5% increase in interest rates should have looked closer at what they were getting themselves into.