Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Jack Waterford's been around a long time. Fair to say he's not a fan of the anti-corruption commission model put forward.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The 2nd half of this article is about the proposed reshuffle in the Victorian labor government. It illustrates why I never fully trust the ALP, the alignment of individuals and their portfolios to individual trade unions is not how ministers should be appointed. The Union influence is something I don’t like because people voted for a party, not a trade Union !!

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...sutto-wins-back-hawthorn-20221130-p5c2lx.html

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Brittany Higgins has dropped the charges.

Having had a mate falsely accused of rape as far am concerned that's the end of it & the accused Bruce Lehmann deserves his right to innocence.

The facts are nobody knows what happened on that night except Brittany Higgins. If she won't follow through with the trial then it's case closed whatever her reasons for pulling it.

No winners here. Two lives have probably been ruined whatever the truth is. I wish the case had been heard
but sadly now we'll probably never find out what the truth is.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Bit more to it than simply that, the prosecution has dropped the charges for mental health reasons primarily due to how poorly the justice system treats survivors and makes it as tough as possible for them.

As for Lehrmann, *smile* him.

Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Bit more to it than simply that, she's dropped the charges for mental health reasons primarily due to how poorly the justice system treats survivors and makes it as tough as possible for them.

As for Lehrmann, *smile* him.
That's such a poor take. You have no idea what happened. She could be lying. It happens believe me.

• Dislike
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Could being exposed as a liar affect someone’s mental health?

Let’s say she’s telling the truth.
I sure want to hear the case in court.
However she has pulled it.

That is the end of the case.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

The prosecution has pulled the case not Britney Higgins. She is apparently in hospital due to her mental health issues.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
She went through the trial. She copped it really bad from the defence counsel. *smile* that would want to make you jump the barrier and smack the counsel if he was accusing someone dear to you like that.

The jury was deliberating. A juror decided, against court orders, to do research on the % of false accusations to defend his position then brought that research into the jury room.

Doesn't take Einstein to work out how many were holding out on a guilty verdict and how many of those were desperate to end the trial so he could go home content in the fact there was no verdict.

That *smile* should be charged with perverting the course of justice.

It would be fair to say there is way more cases that go unreported and fail to land a conviction then there are false accusations.

A lot to this case stinks, including Reynolds ordering the alleged crime scene to be cleaned and sterilised top to bottom the day after she became aware of the accusation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Having had a mate falsely accused of rape as far am concerned that's the end of it & the accused Bruce Lehmann deserves his right to innocence.

The facts are nobody knows what happened on that night except Brittany Higgins. If she won't follow through with the trial then it's case closed whatever her reasons for pulling it.

No winners here. Two lives have probably been ruined whatever the truth is. I wish the case had been heard
but sadly now we'll probably never find out what the truth is.

I doubt Higgins knows what happened that night either.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
There seems to be this really uncomfortable creeping push from many in the feminist sisterhood that other women don’t lie or do bad things. This just isn’t true.
I have no idea whether Ms Higgins was raped or not (obviously this is a tragedy if she was) but a man being accused of rape if he didn’t actually do it is an extremely distressing & life changing situation. No man wants to find themselves there. I have seen the anguish of that first hand. Imagine your name being dragged through the mud if you were actually innocent? I educate my own son these days to take every precaution not to put himself in a situation he’s going to regret.
Obviously being falsely accused of rape is nowhere near as bad as a woman who was raped & not believed but it’s still bad & there are zero ramifications to the accuser if found to have lied about it.
Our court system isn’t perfect but it’s still a damn sight better than the court of public opinion. Lehman too deserved the right to a fair trial.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Our court system isn’t perfect but it’s still a damn sight better than the court of public opinion. Lehman too deserved the right to a fair trial.

Not saying he doesn't deserve a fair trial but the system is stacked in his favor and against victims. On the balance of probabilities I believe Brittney Higgins and therefore won't shed a tear for Lehrmann.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Lehrmann supposedly had to go to Parliament House at 1 or 2 am to get his house keys, why didn’t he leave Higgins in the cab while ducked into get them.

At the time a lot of the dead beat staffers we’re getting up to all sort of sick one-upmanship (wanking on desks) and taking photos of their exploits.

Dragging a legless young lady into the office with him has always raised my suspicions of what his intentions were.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
There seems to be this really uncomfortable creeping push from many in the feminist sisterhood that other women don’t lie or do bad things. This just isn’t true.
I have no idea whether Ms Higgins was raped or not (obviously this is a tragedy if she was) but a man being accused of rape if he didn’t actually do it is an extremely distressing & life changing situation. No man wants to find themselves there. I have seen the anguish of that first hand. Imagine your name being dragged through the mud if you were actually innocent? I educate my own son these days to take every precaution not to put himself in a situation he’s going to regret.
Obviously being falsely accused of rape is nowhere near as bad as a woman who was raped & not believed but it’s still bad & there are zero ramifications to the accuser if found to have lied about it.
The percentage of rape claims that are made up is minuscule. If I didn't know what a great bloke are you I'd tell you to go *smile* yourself on behlf of a number of women I love who got no justice for the attacks on them. The poor take in this case is yours, mate.

In the unlikely event I ever run into Lehrmann it'll be punch first, ask questions ("Want another, you rapist *smile*?") later.

I doubt Higgins knows what happened that night either.
She testified to waking up with him raping her.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Anyway, in good news, we now have a government that does more than cover for rapists. More achieved in six months than a decade of the last lot.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Apologies, Oldie. I shouldn't even have hinted that there would ever be a circumstance in which I'd tell you to *smile* yourself. I would never, unless you converted to Geelong or something. The issue just boils my blood and reminds me how much damage was done to women I love by men whose heads I will never get to kick in.

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The percentage of rape claims that are made up is minuscule. If I didn't know what a great bloke are you I'd tell you to go *smile* yourself on behlf of a number of women I love who got no justice for the attacks on them. The poor take in this case is yours, mate.

In the unlikely event I ever run into Lehrmann it'll be punch first, ask questions ("Want another, you rapist *smile*?") later.

She testified to waking up with him raping her.
Not slighting her but you should read the whole testimony.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

The fact is we have heard the case in court, right to the end. It was stopped during jury deliberation. She took it to the end already.
The fact it has been withdrawn appears to be for her own mental health
Sexual assault is so hard to prove without physical evidence, made even harder when the accused has a good lawyer willing to attack the accuser relentlessly in court.
Her case was made so much harder by the political overtones of the case and therefore the public interest.
I wish for Brittany Higgins some peace in her life and whilst none of us can be 100% sure whether she was raped or not, I know what I believe.
She had no motivation to lie that I can see and none appears to be presented by anyone, including the defence lawyers.

Reactions: 7 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The DPP have pulled it due to it not being in the public interest. Pretty odd reason.

Note some other info has been released about Lehrmann which is damning if true.