Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
It is hard to not be impressed with Penny Wong as foreign Minister
It is so good to have our top diplomat understanding what is required to build rapport and steer a course between values and pragmatism in dealing with China in particular.
Anyone who has had anything to do with China (and I am sure there are many on this site) know that bluster and shaming never works with China.
The language she uses and the calm measured way she conducts herself is exactly what is needed.
Incredibly impressive imo.
I have an old friend who works at a pretty high level in dfat. I saw her last year and asked her who the best and worst pollies were that she had worked with. She said that Wong was easily the best.

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Not sure entertaining is the right word. Embarrassing and shocking are the words I would use but I know what you mean.
Robodebt was a travesty and the shame of it all is that whilst thousands suffered the worst SCOMO gets as a penalty will be getting embarrassed.
Alongside the harm is caused, one of the worst aspects of Scomodebt was that it was obviously bad policy. Anyone with the remotest idea of how casual workers, or hospitality and retail workers, and many others, would know the idea that averaging their wages would in anyway resemble what they earnt each week is ridiculous.
It shows both how out of touch those involved were, and also, worse, how they view people on Centrelink (or at least some payments.)

Reactions: 5 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
It is hard to not be impressed with Penny Wong as foreign Minister
It is so good to have our top diplomat understanding what is required to build rapport and steer a course between values and pragmatism in dealing with China in particular.
Anyone who has had anything to do with China (and I am sure there are many on this site) know that bluster and shaming never works with China.
The language she uses and the calm measured way she conducts herself is exactly what is needed.
Incredibly impressive imo.
Albanese trying to improve relations with China by sending Wong over. He must want to destroy relations with the US by making Rudd ambassador to the States

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

This has happened because of crook like martin ferguson going from resources minister to fossil fuel payroll.

Its not along partisan lines - they all do it

Thats the problem.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
This has happened because of crook like martin ferguson going from resources minister to fossil fuel payroll.

Its not along partisan lines - they all do it

Thats the problem.

Absolutely.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Well the thread says politics.

How about a workplace politics discussion...

Since moving from Country Vic to the city of Melbourne during 2022, it is so evident the amount of workplace politics that goes on here in the city.
In the country, we would basically work hard and get on with it, help each other out, finish the day, a quick beer ( half of the time) and go home.

So different in the city.

Anyway, the predicament i have at the moment is at one of my workplaces (second job), a couple of workmates are simply taking the *smile* out of the clock on system. When senior management have gone, one bloke wlll eff off home, then his mate will clock him off with his code some 2 or 3 hours later.
Been happening for months.
The other bloke basically goes to his car, sleeps or calls his family overseas for 2 to 3 hours.

I get a long quite well with both, but wtf.

Question is: Would you lag on them, or turn a blind eye...or even join in on the act (i dont).

At present, all i have done is, approach one of them and say, whats with you only working 20 to 25 hours a week and getting paid for 40?
His response was, "I have been working here for 15 years, i have an understanding with management. I have done my time and given my services to this company for too long now and will be quitting in 6months." RIgggghhht.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Well the thread says politics.

How about a workplace politics discussion...

Since moving from Country Vic to the city of Melbourne during 2022, it is so evident the amount of workplace politics that goes on here in the city.
In the country, we would basically work hard and get on with it, help each other out, finish the day, a quick beer ( half of the time) and go home.

So different in the city.

Anyway, the predicament i have at the moment is at one of my workplaces (second job), a couple of workmates are simply taking the *smile* out of the clock on system. When senior management have gone, one bloke wlll eff off home, then his mate will clock him off with his code some 2 or 3 hours later.
Been happening for months.
The other bloke basically goes to his car, sleeps or calls his family overseas for 2 to 3 hours.

I get a long quite well with both, but wtf.

Question is: Would you lag on them, or turn a blind eye...or even join in on the act (i dont).

At present, all i have done is, approach one of them and say, whats with you only working 20 to 25 hours a week and getting paid for 40?
His response was, "I have been working here for 15 years, i have an understanding with management. I have done my time and given my services to this company for too long now and will be quitting in 6months." RIgggghhht.
More of an ethics conversation than a politics one.

Seems like it’s a pay by the hour thing and not a pay for outcomes arrangement.

It’s basically fraud / theft and in my previous workplace (and I imagine most) would be immediate dismissal. The policy was if you saw someone doing something fraudulent - time slips, changing lab results, stealing etc you had to report it or you were considered complicit.

You often see this behaviour from employees who are pissed off with the company and basically believe the company owes them so mentally at least all is fair. This is pretty much confirmed by your conversation I’ve seen someone get fired because they were caught on tape stealing toilet paper ($k200/year job 15 years ago - just stupid). Potentially in the past they worked extra hours that they didn’t get paid for and/or this practise has been rife and people have been promoted that also have done it. Clearly it’s been going on a while and pretty normalised.

Clearly ‘ratting’ someone out and costing them their job can cause some kind of backlash - plus they know you are new and that you are on to them - it’s the problem with any kind of whistle blowing.

Be worth understanding your company’s policy and anonymous reporting lines. IMO you want the supervisor to ‘discover’ this - investigate and handle it. Good luck. A tough one.

Reactions: 1 users

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Called Vic Police this morning.
Disappointing.

The station said. Call 000.

Called 000...after a series of questions and on hold for 10mins was told to call my local police station.

Too late. Robbers of business (not mine)
Stolen items and fled.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Called Vic Police this morning.
Disappointing.

The station said. Call 000.

Called 000...after a series of questions and on hold for 10mins was told to call my local police station.

Too late. Robbers of business (not mine)
Stolen items and fled.
Standard system these days.
There's usually about 480 plod attend important incidents n spend about half the day standing around talking *smile*. No-one available for anything else as they're all busy at important stuff n following procedures.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Was very disappointing.

All business' in our area are trying look out for each other.

No help from police.

Business next door are now screen shooting camera footage of offenders and shaming them on windows.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Standard system these days.
There's usually about 480 plod attend important incidents n spend about half the day standing around talking *smile*. No-one available for anything else as they're all busy at important stuff n following procedures.
480 police attending important stuff and talking.
I guess that leaves around 15,600 police in Victoria to do the policing, about 97%.

Obviously have to consider some will be om shift, so not all available.

Not certain why they cant help Bunnerz but its not likely because there are all too busy with attending important stuff

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Read murphys albonese essay in the quarterly over xmas.

Cause for great optimism.

Albonese seems motivated by the desire,

To make Australia a better place.

Quite incredible hes in the top job, given he also has a reputation, according to the last good National Tony Windsor, as a truth-teller.

The PM briefs the independent cross bench weekly, even though he doesnt necessarily need their votes. He wants their trust and their ideas.

Collegiality in parliament? Who would have thunk?

Im also reassured by the fact hes good mates and allies with Penny Wong.

I had thought trustworthy politicians, driven by duty, were like thylacines.

But we might have a few of 'em running the show now.

The other take out was theres a lot less ideology and alot more pragmatism in power now - albonese, wong, plibersek, bowen, chamers, all want to get stuff done to progress our Nation.

Its a huge task after a decade of corrupt, incompetant, lazy, ideologues in charge,

But the heart, brains and desire is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Read murphys albonese essay in the quarterly over xmas.

Cause for great optimism.

Albonese seems motivated by the desire,

To make Australia a better place.

Quite incredible hes in the top job, given he also has a reputation, according to the last good National Tony Windsor, as a truth-teller.

The PM briefs the independent cross bench weekly, even though he doesnt necessarily need their votes. He wants their trust and their ideas.

Collegiality in parliament? Who would have thunk?

Im also reassured by the fact hes good mates and allies with Penny Wong.

I had thought trustworthy politicians, driven by duty, were like thylacines.

But we might have a few of 'em running the show now.

The other take out was theres a lot less ideology and alot more pragmatism in power now - albonese, wong, plibersek, bowen, chamers, all want to get stuff done to progress our Nation.

Its a huge task after a decade of corrupt, incompetant, lazy, ideologues in charge,

But the heart, brains and desire is there.
Heres hoping. Its what we need.
For nigh a decade Wong and Pilbersek have struck as good pollies

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I cannot stress how important it is to not mention this person’s name because we don’t want this person getting away with it for a second time.

But… A person who recently got off a high profile rape charge appears to have been charged with another rape.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I cannot stress how important it is to not mention this person’s name because we don’t want this person getting away with it for a second time.

But… A person who recently got off a high profile rape charge appears to have been charged with another rape.
Anything to do with the case in Queensland where the accused can’t be named?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Quite obvious who it is.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Shame that his actual name was trending on twitter again yesterday, probably some bot farm doing it deliberately.