• If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.

Talking Politics

spook

It is only the intellectually lost who ever argue.
Jun 18, 2007
Nice work all and sundry.
So, what have the unions done for us lately?
With all this criminal behaviour im surprised the whole government is not in the clink!
The AFP is the lap/attack dog of the government. Will rifle through the underwear drawers of journos, but didn't bother to interview Angus Taylor. Will create a photo op for the nightly news when raiding a union over a $100,000 donation to GetUp, but banks can engage in money-laundering and commit tens of thousands of illegal acts and nary a whimper.

We live in a kleptocracy.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

Nank should grow a mullet.
Mar 17, 2003
Nice work all and sundry.
So, what have the unions done for us lately?
With all this criminal behaviour im surprised the whole government is not in the clink!
What has big businesses done for us lately, apart underpaying workers, workers who have had to endure record low wage growth for near on a decade. Should put them in jail with the corrupt union leaders.

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The AFP is the lap/attack dog of the government. Will rifle through the underwear drawers of journos, but didn't bother to interview Angus Taylor. Will create a photo op for the nightly news when raiding a union over a $100,000 donation to GetUp, but banks can engage in money-laundering and commit tens of thousands of illegal acts and nary a whimper.

Yep, as a Union official you can be held personally liable for huge fines if you incite strike action outside an enterprise bargaining period, enter a worksite when not allowed under their dubious laws and there's a host of other offences they made up to make sure union officials are hindered in doing their job.

But if you run a bank you can launder pedophile money, charge dead people for services not provided, or live people for services you receive a kickback for etc and just get off scot free.

If you work at a Catholic school and groom some kid you get a community order.

Laws are made by those in power for those in power, the elites of the business world get the laws they purchase.

DS

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Yep, as a Union official you can be held personally liable for huge fines if you incite strike action outside an enterprise bargaining period, enter a worksite when not allowed under their dubious laws and there's a host of other offences they made up to make sure union officials are hindered in doing their job.

But if you run a bank you can launder pedophile money, charge dead people for services not provided, or live people for services you receive a kickback for etc and just get off scot free.

If you work at a Catholic school and groom some kid you get a community order.

Laws are made by those in power for those in power, the elites of the business world get the laws they purchase.

DS
The unions have a bit of an ugly history too DS, lets not sugar coat that part. Particularly in Victoria not so much elsewhere.

Maybe its just the balance at the moment that is out of kilter, but as you say that is the nature of the game.

shad

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2010

You forgot selling out the Bali 9 to be arrested in Indonesia so that they could curry favour with the Indonesian intel agencies.

I've worked with a diverse range of people from the military, police and intelligence agencies. The feds seem to be real bottom feeders from my experience.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

It is only the intellectually lost who ever argue.
Jun 18, 2007
I thought I'd put this here rather than the US presidential thread, because it applies to all economies. It's funny, I was on youtube looking for the video of all the words that Trump horribly mangles when the first vid appeared in my recommendations, and wouldn't you know it, even though I'm no economist, what this (very rich) guy espouses is pretty much my thoughts, that is, that unchecked neoliberalism is backwards and self-destructive. Serendipitous.

This second vid begins with a warning about what will happen if inequality continues to rise. L2 has described Bernie as a revolutionary - well, a revolution will come, one way or the other. It doesn't have to be bloody, but history tells us it will be if rapacious psychopaths continue to squeeze the vast majority dry.

I encourage all involved in these discussions to watch both vids.

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Spook, you are missing the point. Neo-Liberals don't think we should help each other, neo-liberals put forward the advice that we should all act individually to get ahead and screw everyone else. Inequality is good, screwing others is good, community is bad, cooperation is bad.

Doesn't matter that the economy might go up or down, all that matters is that you do well.

The guy above is right about one thing: it is all about power: economic power, political power etc.

DS

Reactions: 1 users