Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Ducks are menace to rice farmers. Woodies are certainly not even close to being endangered. The only bad thing about Duck Season is when you get your once a year hunters who think the opening is an excuse for a **** up. Though with the gun laws the way they are these days the dickheads are a lot fewer than they were before Howard brought the tighter laws in.

Don't disagree on ducks being pests but we should not be rice farming, a complete waste of a limited resource

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Why are you two saying “we”? Who are you to tell any farmer what they can produce?

We can if the government is providing them access to water and denying that access to others. Would have thought a Libertarian would have been all over that sort of government interference in markets and resources.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
We can if the government is providing them access to water and denying that access to others. Would have thought a Libertarian would have been all over that sort of government interference in markets and resources.
And then they just thieve water if they need more.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
When they are saying “we” shouldn’t farm this or that, they seem to be implying that they are in fact doing the hard yards to farm this or that. They are doing nothing of the sort. “They” is the correct term to use not “we”. Referring to the government as “we” is also incorrect, the government is not you or me or us, it is politicians and bureaucrats within their specific areas of influence.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Astonishing that the Andrews government is going ahead with the duck shooting season even after the massive loss of animal life from the bushfires.
That might be a bit different this year, pre roasted quacker, NOM.

• Haha

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
You can’t steal what is yours. The government has engaged in wide scale theft by claiming water resources for itself.
That's one way of looking at it.
I know someone a relation of sorts, that built about 1/2 a dozen BIG dams (hush hush) on his large property.
The property had been operating successfully for years on the existing dams. It's his land so a case could be made that he should be able to build the dams. But if every single land owner or corporation built big dams what happens to the farmers downstream. That to me is the same as using water that isn't allocated to you.
China is building hydro dams on the Mekong river, to the detriment of Thailand and other countries.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
That's one way of looking at it.
I know someone a relation of sorts, that built about 1/2 a dozen BIG dams (hush hush) on his large property.
The property had been operating successfully for years on the existing dams. It's his land so a case could be made that he should be able to build the dams. But if every single land owner or corporation built big dams what happens to the farmers downstream. That to me is the same as using water that isn't allocated to you.
China is building hydro dams on the Mekong river, to the detriment of Thailand and other countries.
The farmers downstream have to pay for the water to be flowed to their property.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
You can’t steal what is yours. The government has engaged in wide scale theft by claiming water resources for itself.

Millions of dollars of Australian taxpayers money is being given hand over fist to mega rich overseas farming conglomerates so they can build MASSIVE dams, how good a lurk is that.
Those dams allow them to capture water that would end up downstream. Those overseas corporations are laughing all the way to the bank while saying to those downstream farmers, **** you Jack we're alright.

Last edited:

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Millions of dollars of Australian taxpayers money is being given hand over fist to mega rich overseas farming conglomerates so they can build MASSIVE dams, how good a lurk is that.
Those dams allow them to capture water that would end up downstream. Those overseas corporations are laughing all the way to the bank while saying to those downstream farmers, **** you Jack we're alright.
What are you referring to when you say millions of taxpayer dollars are handed over?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
When they are saying “we” shouldn’t farm this or that, they seem to be implying that they are in fact doing the hard yards to farm this or that. They are doing nothing of the sort. “They” is the correct term to use not “we”. Referring to the government as “we” is also incorrect, the government is not you or me or us, it is politicians and bureaucrats within their specific areas of influence.
Gia, do you say “we” when referring to Richmond ie “We didn’t kick straight enough today”?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Last edited:

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Ducks are menace to rice farmers. Woodies are certainly not even close to being endangered. The only bad thing about Duck Season is when you get your once a year hunters who think the opening is an excuse for a **** up. Though with the gun laws the way they are these days the dickheads are a lot fewer than they were before Howard brought the tighter laws in.

That there are rice farmers in Australia at all is a disgrace.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Yes. A corrupt government is giving resources to cronies, and using taxpayers money to enrich its friends and denying access to other users of the resource downstream. And they are actually using taxpayers money to "buy back" the resource which is often an on-paper buyback.

Amazing that a self-styled libertarian would support such nepotism.

Reactions: 1 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Gia, do you say “we” when referring to Richmond ie “We didn’t kick straight enough today”?
If I did I would be in error but the difference being that it wouldn’t have implications for the political problem of “who decides what is produced?”.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Yes. A corrupt government is giving resources to cronies, and using taxpayers money to enrich its friends and denying access to other users of the resource downstream. And they are actually using taxpayers money to "buy back" the resource which is often an on-paper buyback.

Amazing that a self-styled libertarian would support such nepotism.
I think you mean cronyism and you really are losing the plot here. Please explain how you came to your conclusion when I’ve said the government shouldn’t be involved in water ownership decisions? You’re usually ok with logic but this is some of your worst work.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I think you mean cronyism and you really are losing the plot here. Please explain how you came to your conclusion when I’ve said the government shouldn’t be involved in water ownership decisions? You’re usually ok with logic but this is some of your worst work.

Cronyism is the abstract noun, cronies are the people who benefit in this case.