Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Whatever your political views we should all be very thankful in this time for our public health system. It will be stretched in the coming weeks and months, perhaps to almost breaking point, but I am so glad we have it.

Reactions: 5 users
What a load of rubbish.

They are denying others the ability to use what was common property, "unclaimed property" is just an excuse for theft. Claiming common property as exclusively one's own is theft no matter how you dress it up. Then when you use that property to provide a choice of slave masters to the rest of the people apparently this is libertarianism.

They can bear the fruits of their work, but not the raw materials.

How is denying the right of others to what was, up to that point, common property, not coercive when others may also be relying on the very same common property for their livelihood?

Also, you do realise that under feudalism, when this supposed "original appropriation" occurred, there was no land without its Lord. Nothing to do with mixing labour with "unclaimed" property, all to do with aristocratic power and seizure of what was common property.

Again I ask: if you fish in a river, do you then own the river?

DS
You can’t steal something that someone doesn’t have. You aren’t a part owner of untouched wilderness, or lands unknown. It is the people that employ hard work and initiative to develop a resource that are the owners.

Under your theory if someone wanted to claim a land title and develop a resource they would have to get the permission of every single person alive and yet to be born. Completely untenable. How can anyone bear the fruit of their hard work if someone else can come along and disagree that a section of land should be used to grow wheat instead of oats? There is no sensible way under your theory to decide the matter.

You do realise that under Feudalism that land theft happened on a grand scale? The tillers of the land were the land owners, they had their property rights trampled upon.

You own the section of river that you have established as your fishing area. You can’t claim parts of the river that you are not mixing your labour with.

Speak for yourself.
Agree. A user pay system where the poor can't afford to be tested or treated is in everyones interest.
Just as those who lose their jobs should be evicted and starve.
That is the Australia I want to live in. (If we have to have countries at all.)

Reactions: 1 users
Agree. A user pay system where the poor can't afford to be tested or treated is in everyones interest.
Just as those who lose their jobs should be evicted and starve.
That is the Australia I want to live in. (If we have to have countries at all.)
It would mean people like you would have to lift a finger and take some responsibility instead of taking the easy “government will deal with it” option. Not favoured by the virtue signalling majority.

It would mean people like you would have to lift a finger and take some responsibility instead of taking the easy “government will deal with it” option. Not favoured by the virtue signalling majority.
'People like me'? Love it.

Our supermarkets are proof of how people will deal with this without guidance, and laws.

'People like me'? Love it.

Our supermarkets are proof of how people will deal with this without guidance, and laws.
Yeah people like you that look to the government to solve all your problems.

1. People have dealt with this in this manner despite the guidance and laws you speak of?
2. Who is arguing for no guidance or laws?

Mr Morrison confirmed the national cabinet had agreed to a cap of one person per four square metres for indoor gatherings, including in pubs, cafes and restaurants, as was recommended by Australia's chief medical officers last week.

Bring your ruler...
That's gunna be a flaming circus. Got a wedding next weekend n the poor couple n their families have had to trim the crap out of their reception guest list. Somehow I've managed to miss the cull, so it's off up country for the weekend n as much of a *smile* up as one can manage. Better make sure I don't confuse the rubbing alcohol for hand washing with the sippin alcohol for flavour.

That's gunna be a flaming circus. Got a wedding next weekend n the poor couple n their families have had to trim the crap out of their reception guest list. Somehow I've managed to miss the cull, so it's off up country for the weekend n as much of a **** up as one can manage. Better make sure I don't confuse the rubbing alcohol for hand washing with the sippin alcohol for flavour.
Haven’t you heard, there will be no alcohol due to the current crisis ;)

Everything is built on the credit system. Without it everything collapses.

Not everything. low debt farming wont, for example.

put in some spuds. borrow a keg from outside an abandoned pub. repurpose some copper pipe. make a still.

BTW, a very brief peruse of history suggests relying on bank altruism in hard times is not a very good strategy.

you can rely on them being complete and utter *smile* in good times, and just *smile* in bad times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
With the amount of droughts we've been having, how many farmers have low debt these days?

Certainly not enough to sustain society

Bloody *smile* shelf strippin panic buyers. Lucky for me I generally buy in bulk, I'll just smuggle in a sippin or two brought from home.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
My sister handed over 2 slabs of Corona Extra back in January (for a party that didn't go ahead). Had a couple tonight already. I wonder how the Mexicans are going with this.

Reactions: 1 user
I said should. I’d you don’t want to be thankful for the public health system then if you get COVID you can stay away if you like.
If your political views are against public health, than one should still be thankful for public health?

I’ll use whatever health service is available given I’ve already paid for it.

You can’t steal something that someone doesn’t have. You aren’t a part owner of untouched wilderness, or lands unknown. It is the people that employ hard work and initiative to develop a resource that are the owners.

Under your theory if someone wanted to claim a land title and develop a resource they would have to get the permission of every single person alive and yet to be born. Completely untenable. How can anyone bear the fruit of their hard work if someone else can come along and disagree that a section of land should be used to grow wheat instead of oats? There is no sensible way under your theory to decide the matter.

You do realise that under Feudalism that land theft happened on a grand scale? The tillers of the land were the land owners, they had their property rights trampled upon.

You own the section of river that you have established as your fishing area. You can’t claim parts of the river that you are not mixing your labour with.

More bollocks.

Claiming exclusive rights over a common resource is denying others the ability to use that resource, enforced of course with coercion, but that's a given when you want to claim exclusive use of what has hitherto been common property.

Common property should not be claimed by anyone, what right do they have to claim land? There is no problem with claiming the fruits of their labour, but to then claim that no-one else can access the same resources and claim the fruits of their own labour is a complete contradiction. Who gets this land, the first person to work the land or just the first a***hole to claim it as exclusive property?

The tillers of the land under feudalism were the serfs, not the land owners. You are correct that the land was stolen, stolen from the majority of people, enclosed in early capitalist agriculture, claimed as private property and later sold to those who's forebears lost the right to work the land.

Oh, you get to establish your very own fishing area and screw everyone else. This is how capitalist private property works, it gives exclusive access to whoever claimed the property and denies everyone else the right to make their own living, the right to produce directly for yourself, and forces you to either pay rent on the seized resource or enter into a coercive employment relationship with the so-called owner of the resource.

DS