Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yes please to Australia re-skilling itself, it needs to be our highest priority.

I don't think anyone disagrees. But the issue will be no one will want to pay for it. Superfunds and investors will want companies to maximise profits. That means getting stuff as cheap as possible. Unions won't allow working conditions to deteriorate to a point where Australia can match China's efficiency. We can always throw tariffs on imports and then we'll be paying a hell of a lot more for stuff and exporting a hell of a lot less.

The Aussie government works in 3 years cycles. Year 1 - pay back all the donors. Year 2 - introduce some party policies. Year 3 - start pork barrelling for the upcoming election. What Australian government is going to take the bold move and risk certain defeat in the Polls? Christ, franking credits for pensioners, CGT discounts and negative gearing are three things in isolation that will change an election outcome.

Becoming self-sufficient as a country again is an admirable goal. Achieving it is a *smile* of a lot harder than writing a couple of opinion pieces in the paper.

And then theres India........

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I don't think anyone disagrees. But the issue will be no one will want to pay for it. Superfunds and investors will want companies to maximise profits. That means getting stuff as cheap as possible. Unions won't allow working conditions to deteriorate to a point where Australia can match China's efficiency. We can always throw tariffs on imports and then we'll be paying a hell of a lot more for stuff and exporting a hell of a lot less.

If we were to stop getting ripped off with our resource we could afford to pay for it

It's time to do something about the sweetheart deals that the Oil, Gas, Iron Ore, Coal Industries get.

We are giving our resources away, an example is the Petroleum Resource Rent Tax (PRRT). Australia is now the biggest net exporter of LPG in the world.
In 2017-18, LNG companies in Australia had revenue totalling $29.7 billion, yet paid just $1.07 billion in royalties levied under the petroleum resource rent tax (PRRT).
In 2016-17, from revenue of $22.7 billion, they paid only $970 million in PRRT.

By comparison, Qatar, a close second behind Australia in production, received a staggering $26 billion in royalties.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
If we were to stop getting ripped off with our resource we could afford to pay for it

It's time to do something about the sweetheart deals that the Oil, Gas, Iron Ore, Coal Industries get.

We are giving our resources away, an example is the Petroleum Resource Rent Tax (PRRT). Australia is now the biggest net exporter of LPG in the world.
In 2017-18, LNG companies in Australia had revenue totalling $29.7 billion, yet paid just $1.07 billion in royalties levied under the petroleum resource rent tax (PRRT).
In 2016-17, from revenue of $22.7 billion, they paid only $970 million in PRRT.

By comparison, Qatar, a close second behind Australia in production, received a staggering $26 billion in royalties.

What do you mean “our” resources? Where do you come up with this mystical notion that you own them? You don’t own them. What you are bemoaning is that the theft of assets isn’t more widespread.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Come on Australia lift.........we need to be better, smarter, instead of giving our resources away for a song
What do you mean “our” resources? Where do you come up with this mystical notion that you own them? You don’t own them. What you are bemoaning is that the theft of assets isn’t more widespread.
Would you go to war and fight for Australia, that's assuming your were born HERE, or are an Australian citizen?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Where do you come up with the mystical notion that mining companies can just go and dig crap out of the ground and make billions because somehow once they pay people to dig stuff out of the ground for them it is somehow theirs to sell.

Ridiculous notion.

DS

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Come on Australia lift.........we need to be better, smarter, instead of giving our resources away for a song

Would you go to war and fight for Australia, that's assuming your were born HERE, or are an Australian citizen?
I’ll answer your irrelevant question, I doubt you’ll answer mine.

I would never fight for Australia, I am not interested in nationalist pursuits that serve to aggrandise the government. I would defend my home, family and friends if they were in danger.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Where do you come up with the mystical notion that mining companies can just go and dig crap out of the ground and make billions because somehow once they pay people to dig stuff out of the ground for them it is somehow theirs to sell.

Ridiculous notion.

DS
Yeah what a ridiculous notion that people should bear the fruits of their labour. Mining companies should invest their capital, take on all the risk and then hand it all over to the mob who had nothing to do with the whole process, who bore no risk, because...

Much more sensible to rob them blind to placate the envious and ignorant.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
So would everyone except libertarians and the Australians and overseas companies getting rich off it.

Contrast with Norway's sovereign wealth fund. The Scandis are much smarter than we are.

Reactions: 1 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I'd rather the companies that mine resources from Australia paid a commensurate tax to their profits instead of BS offshore tax avoidance.

Thanks for sharing. I wonder how they can keep using the debt loading structure with interest rates so low? I hope it’s making it harder for them. As they shouldn’t be charging a higher than a commercial bank rate. If they are charging a lot more interest to a related company then I would only allow the interest tax deduction to be at a rate that a bank would charge.

Also I would be looking at the benchmarks of the last 20 companies in Australia that have went into administration. If they are in this territory I would be putting it to the big tax audit firms that they are signing off firms with these traits that they would want a great explanation as they will also liable for tax evasion.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

I stand by what I said "It's time to do something about the sweetheart deals that the Oil, Gas, Iron Ore, Coal Industries get", in Australia.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
I stand by what I said "It's time to do something about the sweetheart deals that the Oil, Gas, Iron Ore, Coal Industries get", in Australia.

You standby it without offering a justification for it. Do you understand that revenue is not what companies make, but the difference between revenue and costs? You still haven’t answered my question.

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
You standby it without offering a justification for it. Do you understand that revenue is not what companies make, but the difference between revenue and costs? You still haven’t answered my question.
I understand that it's high time that the sweetheart deals that the Oil, Gas, Iron Ore, Coal Industries have been given are reviewed.
And they show their gratitude by setting up tax dodging hubs in Singapore.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You are focused on labour in the narrow sense.

in the sense of actual people doing actual work as opposed to rich people getting smart accountants to shuffle paper to avoid paying tax in australia, yes. that narrow sense.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah what a ridiculous notion that people should bear the fruits of their labour. Mining companies should invest their capital, take on all the risk and then hand it all over to the mob who had nothing to do with the whole process, who bore no risk, because...

Much more sensible to rob them blind to placate the envious and ignorant.

More magical thinking: I found it, I did something to get it, it is therefore mine.

What a load of crap.

DS