Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Not simple questions to answer and to fully answer them requires more than a PRE post, but to summarise:
1. Freely competing protection agencies that provide a set of laws in which you will be expected to comply if you are to receive their protection services
2. Through agreeing to contracts (this involves actual agreement not through some invisible social contract people pretend we currently sign)
3. They will provide these services for a fee
4. The same place we get money to pay for our existing monopoly services
5. You can choose to move to a different protection agency if you are unsatisfied with their performance or set of laws

For a more in-depth look at the issue: https://mises.org/library/idea-private-law-society
I like it.
Plenty of freedom and opportunity for everyone.

Too much of a monopoly is a bad thing.
I guess each protection agency can choose their money System ... to pay the fee in point 3 can be in all different currencies, given rise to trading across cash, cryptocurrencies and gold and other commodities.

Of course We suspect that Brodders 17 will Continue with his destructive ways... land grabs, killing of Man and childs, territorial Conquest.
I guess that he will call himself Chief.
No doubt that there will be a battle of chiefs.
God help us if a chief piggy or joffa win.

Not only can We move to a different protection agency, those agencies can move and takeover.
Tribalism... its what we humans do best

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I do like the rebranding of privately controlled armed militias to "protection agencies" though. Genius.

Reactions: 1 user

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
You also said you can either have freedom or differing levels of coercion, I'll take freedom thanks.

Libertarianism is looking more and more like liberty for the few and coercion towards the many, not a surprise at all.

DS
What’s not a surprise is that you can’t articulate your position.

Last edited:

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
This is what is often called competitive monarchism: you get to choose who lords it over you.

Simply the privatisation and marketisation of the current role of the state. Opposition to the abuse of power by the state is fine, if you posit a solution where the abuse of power is just privatised then you end up with an even worse system, at least we get some say in who runs the state, we get no say in who runs a private organisation.

DS
Actually you get very little say with public government. Your vote is meaningless. Private organisations are under much more pressure to meet consumer demand because otherwise they’ll lose their patronage. So for you to say you have no say who would run the private organisation is another David delusion.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
I do like the rebranding of privately controlled armed militias to "protection agencies" though. Genius.
Oh you can choose your armed militia like you can choose your insurer can you? What do you think the government is? Take away all the bs and what you have is a gun.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Oh you can choose your armed militia like you can choose your insurer can you? What do you think the government is? Take away all the bs and what you have is a gun.

Still prefer that to you, Harry and Baloo having your own private militias roaming up and down my street making me offers I can't refuse.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Still prefer that to you, Harry and Baloo having your own private militias roaming up and down my street making me offers I can't refuse.
You’d probably want to take out your own insurance policy to protect yourself, however, if my protection agency went rogue like that I would stop patronising them. If my government did that to people in another country on the other hand I’d have little power to change that. They would force me to pay for it as well.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I am more concerned about Brodders.
He jumped so quickly into a family massacre.
What does he want with that land is what i want to know
the land is the source of all the local water, so once i own the land everyone who relies on that water will be at my mercy.

• Wow

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Here's something that will blow your brain...laws, police, jails and courts don't require a monopoly on violence! That's a lie that statists propagate.

It's not kidnapping to put a murderer behind bars, you see when you murder someone, your freedom becomes forfeit.
ill claim self defence, no one will investigate because no one will pay for it.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Not simple questions to answer and to fully answer them requires more than a PRE post, but to summarise:
1. Freely competing protection agencies that provide a set of laws in which you will be expected to comply if you are to receive their protection services
2. Through agreeing to contracts (this involves actual agreement not through some invisible social contract people pretend we currently sign)
3. They will provide these services for a fee
4. The same place we get money to pay for our existing monopoly services
5. You can choose to move to a different protection agency if you are unsatisfied with their performance or set of laws

For a more in-depth look at the issue: https://mises.org/library/idea-private-law-society
so we should check with the person we intend to perpetrate our crime against to see what laws they covered by? and if they cant afford cover it is open slather to do as we please?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You’d probably want to take out your own insurance policy to protect yourself, however, if my protection agency went rogue like that I would stop patronising them. If my government did that to people in another country on the other hand I’d have little power to change that. They would force me to pay for it as well.

Yeah you aren't really understanding how rogue private armies might actually behave dude.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yeah you aren't really understanding how rogue private armies might actually behave dude.
but scarily Brodders is all over it and forging ahead with his landgrab and global takeover!

I for one support our new alien brodderian overlords

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

As I said, your preferred society is a dystopia.

Your choice, you choose to encourage the worst of human traits, I choose not to.

I also choose not to foist my societal preference on others, unlike your stupid idea of choose your overlord. I choose no overlord.

For a so-called libertarian you sure as hell want to control other people's lives, or is that just liberty for the select few?

DS

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
i think Brodders is just killing anyone who stands in his way.
And their descendants.
Dead people dont pay up for investigations

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
so we should check with the person we intend to perpetrate our crime against to see what laws they covered by? and if they cant afford cover it is open slather to do as we please?
I don’t think people would take kindly to someone committing crimes open slather, they’ll tend to want to stop these people. They’ll become a clear and present danger to people that are covered and I think they’ll find it hard to cooperate with other people. Protection services could provide options to help cover people that choose not to cover their risk, but it would probably be limited to the protection of children and disabled people. Healthy fit and able people that choose not to pay for cover would find people less inclined to pay for their protection but it would still happen to an extent I’d wager.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
I don’t think you are understanding that in a society that desires to have a private law arrangement, people don’t tend to want to murder and pillage others. You think the Australian defence force doesn’t go rogue and start taking over the joint because we live under a monopoly government?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
As I said, your preferred society is a dystopia.

Your choice, you choose to encourage the worst of human traits, I choose not to.

I also choose not to foist my societal preference on others, unlike your stupid idea of choose your overlord. I choose no overlord.

For a so-called libertarian you sure as hell want to control other people's lives, or is that just liberty for the select few?

DS
David, I’m done talking to you. All you do is misrepresent me, fly off a bunch of strawman arguments and provide no answers to fundamental questions. I’m not interested in talking to intellectual cowards. Nut up or shut up.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Will they not? Pretty risk averse attitude. You’d think given all the panic over a virus people might be a bit more prepared to pay for defence insurance.
dead people don't pay- (unless you are a bank- they do continue to charge dead people)