Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Best way to raise revenue is to get rid of middle class welfare. That includes CGT discounts and franking credits, child allowances for people who don't need it.

Then the big elephant in the room, negative gearing. While I understand the concept, it's being abused in the residential home market. Lock negative gearing into a single asset. Don't allow loss making on one property offset profits from another.

But doing the above is a certain recipe for a lost election, unless some unholy alliance between the 2 major parties occur, but that's getting less and less likely every day.
When the negative gearing changes were discussed before the last election the mantra of the LNP was that lots of people with middle incomes had negatively geared properties and it wasn't just rich people. I wrote to my local member (who happens to be the Treasurer) and suggested that they should put a dollar limit on interest deductions. So instead of saying it's one property only (someone could have a $2 million loan on a Noosa Heads beach front as an example) say that interest on loans up to a limit can be deducted ( say $500k or something like that). I never got a reply !
I am not against franking credits because all they are in the end are making sure dividends aren't taxed in total above the individual tax payer's marginal tax rate but what I am against are the changes made by Howard/Costello which allowed cash refunds of franking credits. All they do is reverse all or part of the company tax paid on the underlying profits from which the dividends are paid and that is fundamentally wrong.
There has to be a transition period on these things however because there needs to be time to adapt.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Tiger Champion
Feb 3, 2017
Best way to raise revenue is to get rid of middle class welfare. That includes CGT discounts and franking credits, child allowances for people who don't need it.

Then the big elephant in the room, negative gearing. While I understand the concept, it's being abused in the residential home market. Lock negative gearing into a single asset. Don't allow loss making on one property offset profits from another.

But doing the above is a certain recipe for a lost election, unless some unholy alliance between the 2 major parties occur, but that's getting less and less likely every day.
Agree, other than franking credits. They should simply stop them being refundable if they exceed the total tax payable.

Also agree it is very unlikely any gov't will get rid of negative gearing.

MD Jazz

Tiger Champion
Feb 3, 2017
But yes there needs to be a serious discussion on tax reform and everything should be on the table in that discussion. Unfortunately it's a very complicated issue to resolve. The first thing we need to do is ensure big companies and mega gazillionaires are paying there fair share of tax and remove the loopholes that allow them to avoid it.
Not sure you would get any arguments on this. But it requires massive co-operation across tax jurisdictions.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We have little chance of real Tax Reform. When the sitting government commissions an independent review of the taxation system and it makes recommendations on how to fix for the government to just ignore it, you know we have no chance.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That can't possibly be true, the public sector can never be trusted to do anything right, at least that's what some people tell me.

DS
They did it funds funds stolen under the threat of violence from land owners

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Of course the population of Norway feel good about it, they've taken by force the hard-earned fruits of the labours of a small cadre of international billionaires and big oil corporations. They've contributed to the general impoverishment of these well-meaning folk.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Of course the population of Norway feel good about it, they've taken by force the hard-earned fruits of the labours of a small cadre of international billionaires and big oil corporations. They've contributed to the general impoverishment of these well-meaning folk.
So back to their roots of raping and pillaging from others. Skol!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Only a 60 Billion dollar error..

I don’t understand how a government can blame employers filling out forms incorrectly for the error when the forms didn’t exist when the announcement was made

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t understand how a government can blame employers filling out forms incorrectly for the error when the forms didn’t exist when the announcement was made
They did. The $130bn figure was the original estimate of 6m workers. They came out last week saying 6.5m workers had been registered which was the incorrect part. Seems its really a lot lower than 6.5m workers

tigerman

Nank should grow a mullet.
Mar 17, 2003
Surely the over 1 million casuals who missed out on JobKeeper will now be recognised and looked after by the Government.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Surely this error is just good news. There is no "bad" in this. Nothing to see here move on.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

Nank should grow a mullet.
Mar 17, 2003
Surely this error is just good news. There is no "bad" in this. Nothing to see here move on.
Some casual workers have received a pay rise, while other casuals who haven't worked for the same employer for 12 months miss out on the JobKeeper. Something needs to be done to fix, what was, in principle a good initiative.

Last edited:

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
It is good news (this time). However it all comes down to the Government's ability to manage the country's fiances.
They misplaced $60 billion taxpayer dollars. It's displays incompetence.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
They did. The $130bn figure was the original estimate of 6m workers. They came out last week saying 6.5m workers had been registered which was the incorrect part. Seems its really a lot lower than 6.5m workers
Not sure how application forms could have existed for something that hadn’t been announced Mr P . The government blamed the errors made in the application forms for the difference between the 6.5 million and the 3.5 million it is now. The application forms validated the estimate of 6.5 million, the forms were filled in after the announcement was made with that estimate. It’s only the payments that have picked up that the number was overestimated.
The original estimate from treasury was wrong. That can happen but it’s a pretty big error. Not sure why the government just didn’t say that.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
No, definitely a bad thing that there’s been an estimated $60b that doesn’t have to be added to the national debt....

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
No, definitely a bad thing that there’s been an estimated $60b that doesn’t have to be added to the national debt....
i dont think anyone is worried about less debt, but some may see a teeny concern that our Fed Government that prides itself on economic management, even many others dont, can have be $60B out in their estimates.

on a different note, it is disappointing that the announced surplus (back in back i think was the slogan) has been ditched due to Covid19. im sure all their estimates in the budget would have been spot on.

• Haha