Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Another $700 million dollar "mistake" by the LNP, but they are the best with accounts apparently.
It was a $700 million mistake, but they refuse to apologise.

Speers: So this was a flawed system, you were wrong to do it, but you won't apologise?

Porter: There's litigation ongoing and that litigation argues, among other things, negligence and we don't concede that.

Speers: Does legally insufficient mean illegal?

Porter: There wasn't a lawful basis.

Speers: It means it was illegal?

Porter: You can use that but that's a criminal term. Civilly, it was unlawful. There was no lawful basis for it.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
at the risk of sounding like i am a biased lib basher, what a complete f up robodebt has been from the very start.
and what a complete f up Stuart Roberts is in general.
Agree with this. A disastrous system and Roberts is a corrupt *smile*up.

Last edited by a moderator:

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
At the risk of being seen as a labor basher been a fair bit of criticism recently of Dan Andrews over the China Belt & Road deal. The editorial in The Age on the weekend did not miss him. Not sure what his most ardent supporters here think of his lack of transparency? Is this a good deal for Victorians?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
At the risk of being seen as a labor basher been a fair bit of criticism recently of Dan Andrews over the China Belt & Road deal. The editorial in The Age on the weekend did not miss him. Not sure what his most ardent supporters here think of his lack of transparency? Is this a good deal for Victorians?

Sorry i can't answer out if is a good deal for Victorians as i can't find many details. :cool:

Poor form by the left wing rag the age tho, attacking Andrews- must be the Ch9 influence.

In seriousness, i haven't paid much attention, as i dont tend to for any government business deals, unless there is obvious cronyism involved.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
In seriousness, i haven't paid much attention, as i dont tend to for any government business deals, unless there is obvious cronyism involved.

Good call. This deal isn't really important or relevant. I'm sure it's all been done with transparency and good faith in mind.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Good call. This deal isn't really important or relevant. I'm sure it's all been done with transparency and good faith in mind.
Governments of both sides, both state and federal, have been too cosy with China. The Port of Darwin, the WA airfield, the NSW farms, Gladys Liu. Everyone took the filthy yuan.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Governments of both sides, both state and federal, have been too cosy with China. The Port of Darwin, the WA airfield, the NSW farms, Gladys Liu. Everyone took the filthy yuan.

The VIC treasurer openly criticised the federal govt's "vilification" of China. What sort of influence are China buying in Victoria?

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The VIC treasurer openly criticised the federal govt's "vilification" of China. What sort of influence are China buying in Victoria?
I don't know. If it's any it's not good, as it's not when the Americans do it.

There's a good chance Gladys Liu is a CCP operative and a member of the federal government. What sort of influence are China buying in the federal government?

It's a worry on all levels.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The Robodebt scheme cost $600 million. $600 mill to harass people on welfare with no end result.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Meanwhile, the scale of the Morrison government's corruption continues to grow:

Is it really surprising. Looks like the worst of pork barrelling. Hopefully they are held accountable. Unfortunately they are not alone and won't be the last time a sitting gov't does this.

Bill had previously promised to clean it up but unfortunately never got the chance.

"Up to 80 per cent of ministerial decisions to decline funding to recommended applications in community infrastructure funds were in Coalition-held electorates under Labor when it was last in office"

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Dan has lead a surprisingly secretive party which is pretty disappointing. Party's in opposition spout open government and then tend to tighten FOI type information even further when they get in power.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
John Cain introduced a freedom of information act, Jeff Kennett loved commercial in confidence as a way to undermine it and the governments following just keep rolling back transparency.

It is supposed to be a democracy but the citizens are the last to know about any of this stuff.

DS

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Scott from Marketing unveils the latest middle-class bribe, $25k to help pay to renovate your house, if you're spending more than $150k. They must have felt so sick to their stomach giving people below the poverty line $500 a fortnight that they just had to go out and give two year's worth of JobSeeker to people wealthy enough to spend double the average annual salary fixing up their kitchen.

Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Scott from Marketing unveils the latest middle-class bribe, $25k to help pay to renovate your house, if you're spending more than $150k. They must have felt so sick to their stomach giving people below the poverty line $500 a fortnight that they just had to go out and give two year's worth of JobSeeker to people wealthy enough to spend double the average annual salary fixing up their kitchen.p
Just weird this one. But I tell you that master builders and building unions have both sides of politics under total control. I want to know why builders who have been flat out for years go broke in 3 months but Liberal side just sign on to their demands. The union and ALP are all about ensuring that the Stop/go sign operator keeps his/her birthright to a 150k a year 36 hour a week job.
Cannot see anyone who was thinking wouldn't mind doing a $200k Reno but we are $25k short so we won't go ahead unless ScoMo sends us a cheque. I think a lot of people's Reno dreams go like this: let's do the extension , redo the kitchen, add a deck, landscape the front and add a garage. That will cost us $350k. Builder quotes that will be $475k plu plus. What can we get for $350 then? The extension, maybe the deck, but only three rooms not 4 and no room for the outdoor kitchen. Aha ...will check the bank then to get the loan adjusted. 4 weeks later approval for loan increase of $225k. Stuff it lets go to Bali to get over this. 25k isn't going to make a difference.

I'd rather see some stimulus that wil,keep 3 X $50k tourism jobs going than keepimg stop/ go operator on $150k and having "infrastructure" we don't need.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I doubt those lollipop people earn anywhere near 150k.

As for this scheme, it all sounds very dubious. Apparently you can't claim if you earn over $150k (household income??) and you can't claim if your house is worth over $1.5mil. Who, earning less than $150k will be able to afford a $150k reno? Many inner city houses bought for a lot less many years ago will be worth well over $1.5mil these days.

Also, what about some support for universities and the arts? Seems some sectors get all the favours.

DS

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Just weird this one. But I tell you that master builders and building unions have both sides of politics under total control. I want to know why builders who have been flat out for years go broke in 3 months

The building industry is notorious for liquidations. They go broke because its easy and cheap and without real consequences. Just pay another $1000 and start up another company. Too many are allowed to build up massive tax debts, contractor debts and just liquidate when the ATO puts the heat on. Smaller contractors are often victims of these types. Until the law gets serious with this type of activity it will continue to happen. And the coronavirus is perfect cover for this.

Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Just weird this one. But I tell you that master builders and building unions have both sides of politics under total control. I want to know why builders who have been flat out for years go broke in 3 months but Liberal side just sign on to their demands. The union and ALP are all about ensuring that the Stop/go sign operator keeps his/her birthright to a 150k a year 36 hour a week job.
Cannot see anyone who was thinking wouldn't mind doing a $200k Reno but we are $25k short so we won't go ahead unless ScoMo sends us a cheque. I think a lot of people's Reno dreams go like this: let's do the extension , redo the kitchen, add a deck, landscape the front and add a garage. That will cost us $350k. Builder quotes that will be $475k plu plus. What can we get for $350 then? The extension, maybe the deck, but only three rooms not 4 and no room for the outdoor kitchen. Aha ...will check the bank then to get the loan adjusted. 4 weeks later approval for loan increase of $225k. Stuff it lets go to Bali to get over this. 25k isn't going to make a difference.

I'd rather see some stimulus that wil,keep 3 X $50k tourism jobs going than keepimg stop/ go operator on $150k and having "infrastructure" we don't need.
It does seem a strange policy but the hysteria around it is over the top. I heard a typical ABC talkback caller claiming it was just a typical LNP policy to support the "poor" homeowners in Toorak and Vaucluse. The goose neglected to mention that the grant is means tested and if you earn more than $200K per year (for a couple) then you are not eligible for the grant.

There ain't no homeowners in Toorak and Vaucluse earning less than $200K per year.