Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
I agree with David and Sin. We must get the balance right and give those with a work ethic an incentive to get ahead. A simple incentive would be for industries that are finding is hard to get employees that the tax free thresholds get increased. And that if you work for example picking fruit as a weekend job or while you are holidays from your main job you can claim the tax free threshold again. This rewards workers that are having a real go.

There should also be large tax incentives to those that employ large numbers of Australian’s.

Another thing I would like to see is any employee CEO, CFO or otherwise if they get paid more than 10 times what they pay their lowest full time workers they pay tax at 50% marginal tax rate. No one should be worth more than 10 times another employee. I have seen so many times in my career when revenue is flat managers on all levels have huge pressure to cut costs so that dividends can maintained to shareholders. This to go only advanced the top few in an organisation who have share options.

Lets reward the work ethic.
Unfortunately if you want good management you have to pay them and given you're competing with what the rest of the world pay you have to make sure you're competitive.
That said there's some Australian companies that are really pulling the p**s in terms of what they are paying senior management. The previous CEO at Australia Post is a good example of someone who wasn't worth a tenth of what he was being paid. Now his successor, who is trying to clean up the mess, is on a whole lot less money.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We didn't pay the high level managers hundreds of times the income of the median employee in the 1960s and that seemed to work ok.

In any case they get bonuses whether they make or lose money. If they lose enough they get shifted on with a massive payout.

I'm not seeing better management since we started paying them astronomical sums.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
We didn't pay the high level managers hundreds of times the income of the median employee in the 1960s and that seemed to work ok.

In any case they get bonuses whether they make or lose money. If they lose enough they get shifted on with a massive payout.

I'm not seeing better management since we started paying them astronomical sums.

DS
The old saying is “if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.“
The new saying should be “If you pay more, you get more highly paid monkeys”

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Trickle down is the theory, rich earn more and spend which stimulates the economy. Not a theory I agree with. Given the widening inequality in income distribution and that the Australian economy was heading down before the pandemic this does look like a silly policy.

More money to those more likely to spend and not save would be better I reckon.

DS

Theres a reason why the feds don't want to change our overly complicated tax system that provides rebates at the end of the year to most lower paid tax payers. The reason, those tax payers see it as a "bonus" and will go out and spend it more often than not, whether thats on a tv, holiday etc, it doesn't matter, the government wants the GST. It wouldn't happen like that if they fixed the system and that rebate (which is your money by the way, they just hold onto it for you until the end of the year) was provided back on a weekly / fortnightly basis it would be a relatively low amount of money, eg;. $1000 rebate is about $20 / week, the government guarantee the GST by giving it back in 1 go.

I agree they'd get more value by providing more across the board tax cuts rather than just at the top level.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I wouldn't give any tax cuts to those paid high incomes. I would increase taxes on very high incomes, say, above 250k.

We used to have a top tax rate of 60% and the US had a top tax rate of 91%. It can be done and it did contribute to the lower inequality of income back in the 1950s and 1960s. That is one of very few periods of decreasing inequality and progressive taxes contributed to this.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Way too late, but it's good to see the government finally admitting their FttN idea for NBN was very wrong. Getting FTTH is really the only investment that makes sense and won't be soon overtaken by technology advances.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Did anyone else read about the Fed Govt paying $30m for a parcel of land for Sydney's new airport, which was later valued at $3m.

That's your taxes at work folks. Real value for money.

• Sad

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Way too late, but it's good to see the government finally admitting their FttN idea for NBN was very wrong. Getting FTTH is really the only investment that makes sense and won't be soon overtaken by technology advances.
i was "lucky" enough to get FttC, and I'm wondering how much they're going to sting me to string a bit of fibre from my nature strip to my house to complete the job

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Here you go, 15m for USD$5. Lay it yourself, ask them to just connect it at the curb for a slab of beers

Aliexpress has it all
it's already to the curb. I asked the guy at the time if I could get fibre up to my house, but he wouldn't play.

is it that simple just to plug one of those cables in? 15m would be plenty, will have to check it out. ta

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Way too late and costing us $6 billion more.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
it's already to the curb. I asked the guy at the time if I could get fibre up to my house, but he wouldn't play.

is it that simple just to plug one of those cables in? 15m would be plenty, will have to check it out. ta

Not really. Need to see what equipment you have, what they use. Some deployments will tag your internet to the device they provide you. I really don't know what they have at the curb and what they'd give you inside the house.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Not really. Need to see what equipment you have, what they use. Some deployments will tag your internet to the device they provide you. I really don't know what they have at the curb and what they'd give you inside the house.
looks like it'll plug straight in to my nbn box in my house. Will have to check out the pit to see what's going on in there.
Thanks for the info Baloo

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Did anyone else read about the Fed Govt paying $30m for a parcel of land for Sydney's new airport, which was later valued at $3m.

That's your taxes at work folks. Real value for money.
You forgot to mention the connections to Liberal Party donors and NP's leader McCormack. See last night's ABC '7.30 Report'.

Just stinks. Do Aussies actually realise how disgusting and corrupt a lot of their politicians actually are? We are being ripped off.

Snouts in trough everywhere! But we like to pretend we are well governed. The media is rigged or hobbled; a player in the game.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Way too late and costing us $6 billion more.
Yes, Turnbull and Libs doing; just to block ALP policy out of sheer, bloody-minded partisan politics.

How ironic - could have and should have gone with a Jaguar system but thanks to Mal and co. we went with the East German Trabant!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
FTTN and a mix of technologies is up there with some of the most monumentally stupid decisions of all time. Words truly are inadequate to describe just how bad this is.

We all knew this would happen, they were told this would happen.

But for a few votes by lying about how FTTP wasn't needed, and to placate old Rupert, we ended up with a lemon.

Thanks, you t**ds.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
One more comment on the awful NBN.

I am working from home like a lot of us. My NBN is on a 50MBit plan and we have fibre to the node and HFC - what this means is coax from the node to here, coax was first patented in the 19th century.

I run Linux and often have system monitor open to see what my computer is doing, and I have a wired connection between my laptop and the modem.

As I sit here I am trying to load pages and the like from this forum and I also have emails opening, so there is some demand on the internet connection.

System manager is telling me that I am receiving between around 50bytes (yes bytes, that's one thousanth of a kilobyte, one millionth of a megabyte) a second going up to about 40KBytes per second. Occasionally it will jump a lot higher, most of the time it sits around the levels just described, even when I am trying to load something.

Emails can take 30 seconds to load. Systems run like a glacier before climate change. Web pages time out or take minutes to load. ADSL was just as fast and more reliable (HFC is not reliable).

I did a speed test this morning and my download speed was less than 4 MBits per second, it should be somewhere over 40MBits per second, but there is no way my ISP can deliver this over the pathetic excuse for a network delivered by the short sighted Neanderthals in the current excuse of a government who completely f***ed up the NBN roll out.

Information superhighway - yeah right. What a f*** up.

What a joke, and all the working from home has just exacerbated the problems.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I did a speed test this morning and my download speed was less than 4 MBits per second, it should be somewhere over 40MBits per second, but there is no way my ISP can deliver this over the pathetic excuse for a network delivered by the short sighted Neanderthals in the current excuse of a government who completely f***ed up the NBN roll out.

That sucks. Here's real FTTH speeds.

Speedtest 202007290800.PNG

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
That's what we would have got if someone built a broadband network.

Instead we get this crap with the dog's brekkie the morons built:

10138609195.png

What rubbish, anywhere else in the world this would be a crisis, and note it states "faster than 68% of AU" - wow. This in the evening when we no longer have so many Zoom meetings going on and people working from home.

Joke.

DS