Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Have you seen how many on the NSW LNP polies have voted against it?

Criminal stuff!

No I haven’t taken an interest.

IBAC are needing more money in Victoria. I hope Dan Andrews provides that in the budget. As we want to reduce corruption. Reality is they will most likely need to investigate the awarding of contracts with the private security firms as part of our quarantine program. Also will be watching with interest what happens with the former VLine CEO.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I understand what you are saying but the union influence in the ALP is from union leaders who are more loyal to the ALP than to their union. Plus, they are even more loyal to their own position and their aspirations as politicians.

15% of the workforce makes unions pretty much the largest organisations in the country. More members than Churches etc. But what is even worse is look at the membership of political parties. Each major party would be lucky to have 10,000 members in each of NSW or Victoria yet they wield enormous influence.

DS
yes, Political party membership is now abysmal in this country which is of course a commentary on the state of politics. Not all the unions in that 15% are actually labor party affiliated of course, although the majority would be.

My current antipathy towards the union movement in the ALP comes from two things really. One is that I want our political parties to represent me and my values and when they are aligned and heavily financially reliant on one section of the society I believe that is made more difficult ( I do accept that is true of the LNP as well btw) . The other is my view is coloured by my experience with trade unions over a long time. In the involvement I have had with them I have been increasingly disillusioned with them because I strongly believe there is a absolute need for a voice for the workers but that they are not representing that view well, at least from what I have seen.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Champion
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
yes, Political party membership is now abysmal in this country which is of course a commentary on the state of politics. Not all the unions in that 15% are actually labor party affiliated of course, although the majority would be.

My current antipathy towards the union movement in the ALP comes from two things really. One is that I want our political parties to represent me and my values and when they are aligned and heavily financially reliant on one section of the society I believe that is made more difficult ( I do accept that is true of the LNP as well btw) . The other is my view is coloured by my experience with trade unions over a long time. In the involvement I have had with them I have been increasingly disillusioned with them because I strongly believe there is a absolute need for a voice for the workers but that they are not representing that view well, at least from what I have seen.

I'm lucky, my union is not affiliated. Gives union members more control over the union, you know, like it is supposed to be. Means we don't tend to get ALP flunkies parachuted into senior positions having never worked in the sector.

I would address the second point by removing the ALP from unions, then the members can push for the leadership they need and deserve. Not a perfect solution but it would go some way. Members need to wrest control, believe me I know how hard this can be.

DS

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
How the *smile* is Gladys still Premier? She was in an intimate relationship with a crook for 6 years! I’m not calling her a criminal but at the very least she is not fit to hold that position. Testimony damning again today.

Also the Lib deals of the $30m sale for a $3m piece of land now subject to a police investigation.

Bloody hell the fish rots from the head..

Reactions: 2 users

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It's a shame, she's obviously a highly competent premier if we exclude all of this drama. But it's going to be very hard for her to survive this and given the allegations she should step down.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
How the *smile* is Gladys still Premier? She was in an intimate relationship with a crook for 6 years! I’m not calling her a criminal but at the very least she is not fit to hold that position. Testimony damning again today.

Also the Lib deals of the $30m sale for a $3m piece of land now subject to a police investigation.

Bloody hell the fish rots from the head..
Not disagreeing but the dodgy land deal was the Feds

I don’t know the rules in the federal public sector but as a comparison in the state public sector there is no way that a deal that size could be done without an independent valuation by the valuer general and to buy above that value would require a Minister’s approval at a minimum. This argument that the Libs are trotting out that it was the bureaucrats who stuffed up smells really bad.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Champion
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Labour winning power in their own right with their voting system is huge.

Let's see if she can make some positive changes, certainly has a mandate.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Maybe it’s just hope from my perspective but Jacinta Adern’s win and her success in NZ makes me feel that in the end people want someone who they believe actually cares as their leader.
There are of course varying views of her beliefs but one thing is certain and that’s she is seen as an empathetic and genuine person.
I can’t think of one politician in Australia who I see in the same way.

Reactions: 6 users

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah, a Qlder on here (can't remember who) thought Labor would be turfed out this time, even though AP's personal approval was and is high. Looks like any chance of that happening might have gone due to Frecklington being referred to the Electoral Commission by her own party for those dinners with property developers.

It seems you really have to balls it up totally regarding COVID19 if you are a leader - if you do a reasonable job, the odds are good you'll be reelected. So Ardern gets reelected, ScoMo is off the charts against Labor federally (you could argue the feds have botched a lot but generally Australia has done very well), Dan's approvals were very high recently, that may change of course. You have to fail spectacularly like Trump before it comes back to bite.