Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Clive Palmer bought the election and got what he wanted.

yeah Id blocked that out of my mind.

I hope he has a lonely and pain-filled old age

and has a horrific realisation at the end, what a *smile* he really is.

I don't wish that for too many people.

Rupert Murdoch, Trump, Putin, Him.

Its a mercifully small club.

Peter Dutton is pushing for selection.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You also had Morrison without much of a track record to judge on, but many were very thankful that he stopped Dutton taking the leadership of the Libs.

Shorten wasn't well liked at all.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Well have agree to disagree.

My recall is different. It was considered unlosable for labour and shorten

But they lost.

My memory also suggests that Shorten released a tsunami of policy, while Morrison campaigned for deisel 4x4's?

While he would certainly have been better than Morrison, Shorten was just another ego, more about Shorten than australia. He was no great hope.

I just want a great hope. Someone with vision, some mettle and a heart. I know that more likely from the left hand side of the spectrum, but i dont really care where it comes from.

It was an jnteresting exercise searching for talent, intelligence, class and heart this morning, and i inadvertantly came up with 4 women;

Payne, Plibersek, Wong and Keneally.*

Coincidence? I think not.

* im compelled to make the outrageously un-PC declaration that i find KK one of the sexiest women girt by sea.
i disagree on Shorten being just another ego. I am not a real fan, and dont reckon he comes across well. But whenever I have seen his speak away from the media, on issues he cares about he has been very genuine- the NDIS from his time as disability minister is one example.

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
too many people just dont care. remember many people think women have reached true equality in this country, so they discount evidence like this, and probably respond in the same way the liberal party do- tell her to go to the police, and ignore the attitudes and circumstances that almost encourage attacks like this in some organisations.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
He doesn't answer questions mate.
only the "canberra bubble" is interested in what he thinks, and expecting answers in just playing politics.
I know the Scotty from marketing nickname is just a pisstake, but it really is apt. his main priority always appears to be spin. to deflect blame and to take credit.
all politicians do that to some degree, but few have it as there core 'policy."

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
only the "canberra bubble" is interested in what he thinks, and expecting answers in just playing politics.
I know the Scotty from marketing nickname is just a pisstake, but it really is apt. his main priority always appears to be spin. to deflect blame and to take credit.
all politicians do that to some degree, but few have it as there core 'policy."

yeah im only just coming to realise how good at it he is.

because he seems to get away with stuff like he's working with a box full of mirrors.

no wonder he loves Gladys so much.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
yeah im only just coming to realise how good at it he is.

because he seems to get away with stuff like he's working with a box full of mirrors.

no wonder he loves Gladys so much.
as a victorian i dont follow NSW politics too much, but from a far, it appears when berejikilian isnt taking, or giving, bribes, she is a pretty good premier.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
as a victorian i dont follow NSW politics too much, but from a far, it appears when berejikilian isnt taking, or giving, bribes, she is a pretty good premier.

Shes done a reasonable job,

But not without standard LNP controversy. Pork Barelling and close (nude) associations with corruption.

Plus she cant keep the Nats (barrilaro) on the chain.

But yeah, shes pretty good for a lib.

I was commenting on her Teflon coating that would inspire Morrison.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
i disagree on Shorten being just another ego. I am not a real fan, and dont reckon he comes across well. But whenever I have seen his speak away from the media, on issues he cares about he has been very genuine- the NDIS from his time as disability minister is one example.

I disagree too. Shorten put huge effort in the years leading up - he was at the Beaconsfield mine site for days when the miners were trapped. He did town halls all over Australia to really get a sense of what people thought and cared about.

He's not the most charismatic dude around but he's a genuine person I believe.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Shorten was never going to win, unless you believed he won the debates. If you thought he won them you probably though he would be a PM.
Albo comes across as a good bloke, but he ain't no answer. Morrison could lose to him if he plays a bad lead up to the election, but on merit Albo won't beat morrison. He is too Labor left, the swinging middle Aussies don't trust it.
ALP need to change, some good names earlier in thread, but I don't think ALP are savvy enough to pull the trigger and rearrange properly from the top down in time.
They could win in a heartbeat by backing in a visionary leader and just taking back 10% of the middleground and giving up 10% of the left.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There were a lot of reasons Labor lost the election.

Shorten was always aiming to be PM. I went to Uni with him, always naked ambition. He didn't sully himself with student politics much as he had other agendas, which was silly in retrospect as student politics is a great training ground for public speaking. I never had much time for him. As a union leader the word I heard was that he was very good, a surprise to me, actually listened to and cared about the members and the like. Given he was parachuted into a union leadership position as a stepping stone to parliament, taking any notice of the union members is not a given. At the end of the day Shorten comes across as a personality-free zone. He was leader because he had the numbers, simple as that. But why pick a leader with negative charisma? Well, there is an old truism in politics: oppositions don't win elections, governments lose elections. While this is largely correct it isn't completely correct, you also need to have a convincing leader and at least a semblance of policies.

So, policies. Getting rid of negative gearing, and the ridiculous franking credits deductions for those paying no tax such that they get a refund, are good policies. As is getting rid of any capital gains tax discount for property (why earnings from capital are not taxed at the same rate as earnings from labour is beyond me). But these are complex matters, not easy to explain, especially since most people likely don't even know what a franking credit is (note, too, not many countries actually have franking credits, the USA doesn't). Complex policy is bad policy, even more so when it can be the subject of a scare campaign. They should have just done these things in the first budget, not tried to sell complex policies at the election. The real lesson here is not so much a small target strategy (although that is the lesson they will take) but clear and simple policies.

Albo is almost as uninspiring as Shorten. The ALP need a better leader. Albo can come across as a bit of an everyman which is a good thing, but he just fails to draw any attention. He won't win an election, but he won't have to if the government loses an election.

Would be nice to see Labor pre-select more politicians from those who have actually worked in industry. They used to get parliamentarians from union leadership who had risen from the shop floor. Was it Chifley who was a train driver?

Both major parties are just full of professional politicians and they're not very impressive.

DS

• Love

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm a unionist............but Shorten is a scumbag, a scumbag of the highest order.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'm a unionist............but Shorten is a scumbag, a scumbag of the highest order.

Fair point, and just reading the snippet I can see doesn't bode well - balancing interests? The other side ain't doing that, they're out to increase their share, no idea why a union wouldn't just fight for their own side.

As I said, this is what I heard about Shorten. When he was a student, I just saw ambition for himself.

I would be one of the last people to defend Shorten, still, Shorten:Morrison - lesser of 2 evils?

DS

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Fair point, and just reading the snippet I can see doesn't bode well - balancing interests? The other side ain't doing that, they're out to increase their share, no idea why a union wouldn't just fight for their own side.

As I said, this is what I heard about Shorten. When he was a student, I just saw ambition for himself.

I would be one of the last people to defend Shorten, still, Shorten:Morrison - lesser of 2 evils?

DS

someone smart and impartial, cant remember who,

some good journo? wrote a book suggesting Morrison and Shorten were cut from the same cloth in terms

of naked ambition.

I believed it.

Give us a leader FFS. someone who can lead. someone who can inspire.

is that possible anymore?

with the amount of glib inspirational memes on instagram and facebook to compete with, I suspect not.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
On political corruption. Salient point "If voters won't punish political corruption, they shouldn't be surprised when politicians act corruptly."

Too true, but the electorate has a well founded cynicism that the other major party will do exactly the same thing, so you have to ask yourself: if you are going to vote against the current mob because they are corrupt, just who can you shift your vote to?

I remember when Mick Young had to resign over not declaring a Paddington Bear he received as a gift, these days he would be given a medal for restraint as he only got a soft toy.

DS