Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Too true, but the electorate has a well founded cynicism that the other major party will do exactly the same thing, so you have to ask yourself: if you are going to vote against the current mob because they are corrupt, just who can you shift your vote to?

I remember when Mick Young had to resign over not declaring a Paddington Bear he received as a gift, these days he would be given a medal for restraint as he only got a soft toy.

DS

It shows How far the standards have slipped. I deplore the current state of politics in our country.
Especially the present governments absolute disregard for the citizens they are supposed to represent.
We have never had such a corrupt bunch of scum bags running the country.

Reactions: 4 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Too true, but the electorate has a well founded cynicism that the other major party will do exactly the same thing, so you have to ask yourself: if you are going to vote against the current mob because they are corrupt, just who can you shift your vote to?

Given that the current government is the most corrupt in our history then we get the government we deserve.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Penny Wong would be good. The Asian Australian Female in a same sex marriage should appeal to Australians of all political persuasions.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Thanks
I think Labor leaders have to have some appeal to Liberals to do well.

Hawke appealed to everyone, Keating was essentially a snob, Rudd has a multi-millionaire wife in business.

They need to find a leader who isn't too union, green, gay or progressive. Someone like Plibersek but without the crooked husband.
Interesting observation on Keating. I assume it's because he likes antiques and listens to Mahler.

Whatever anyone thought of Keating the man there is one undeniable fact imo. He was the most reformist politician we have had in the last 40 years , most of the reforms we have had in that time have his fingerprints on them. From floating the $, the reform of the reserve bank, the opening up of the economy and cutting of tariffs, MABO and possibly the most important of the lot being compulsory superannuation. All except GST which he fought against and I suspect regrets doing so. Anyway what we need is a reformer, someone who can sell reform to the community and drag us kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

I don't care what party that person comes from and whilst reformers have traditionally come from Labor in this country I see nothing in what they do now to suggest there is anyone who has the gumption to do it. They have shown their true colours last week by dropping their policy on cash refunds of franking credits and reform to negative gearing rules.

Keating also told it as it is, he would call it out. We need real debate about real issues in this country and what we get are gormless robots, a Keating would give us debate.

I did read recently that he is younger than Joe Biden

Reactions: 6 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting observation on Keating. I assume it's because he likes antiques and listens to Mahler.
There's that. Or also how he looked down his very long nose at anyone who didn't live in Sydney and viewed them as second class citizens.

"If you're not living in Sydney you're camping out!" Tosser.

But he did introduce some worthwhile reforms as you have detailed.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
There's that. Or also how he looked down his very long nose at anyone who didn't live in Sydney and viewed them as second class citizens.

Well Bankstown is a pretty up market suburb though to be fair.....

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Well Bankstown is a pretty up market suburb though to be fair.....
:mhihi Yeah I bet he hasn't been back there since he first left. Potts Point is much grander thank you. Probably hasn't been west of Balmain since he quit politics.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Keating wasn't perfect for sure and he could be an arrogant sod at times but I just think that we need someone to shake things up and be bold, in a good way not a destructive "Trump' sort of way .

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
:mhihi Yeah I bet he hasn't been back there since he first left. Potts Point is much grander thank you. Probably hasn't been west of Balmain since he quit politics.

I know a guy who bought a harbourside property in Balmain for $32k way back in 1982. How much would You have to pay for it now.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Dr Jim Chalmers is the man to lead Labor in from the wilderness. He has a PhD in political science, and wrote his doctoral thesis on the prime ministership of Paul Keating. He's a Queenslander which might help them get back some of the seats they lost at the last election.

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Dr Jim Chalmers is the man to lead Labor in from the wilderness. He has a PhD in political science, and wrote his doctoral thesis on the prime ministership of Paul Keating. He's a Queenslander which might help them get back some of the seats they lost at the last election.
Tend to agree . Intelligent guy . Whether they go with Chalmers is another question

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
"This is a low flying person." Keating - 2008.
On Peter Costello: "He's all tip and no iceberg."
On Andrew Peacock: "A painted, perfumed, gigolo."

He saved his best for Howard:
"I am not like the Leader of the Opposition. I did not slither out of the Cabinet room like a mangy maggot."
"The brain-damaged Leader of the Opposition."
"The greatest job and investment destroyer since the bubonic plague."
"The desiccated little coconut."

And I loved this exchange with Whitlam when the Big Man was God and PJK a young parliamentarian who had left school at 14, managed rock bands and been a devoted disciple of Jack Lang.

Gough: "You should go to university. Get an education."
PJK: "Why? Then I'd be just like you."

Blasphemy! But the man knew himself. And boy, did he know policy - what levers to pull, how a change in one area would affect other parts of the economy. And a big picture man, too.

Keating had the elitist image because of his taste in French clocks, Italian suits and German composers (when you have some big thinking to do, take a walk listening to Mahler. I now swear by it). He was an economic rationalist (aka neoliberal) but everything was underpinned by the question "what will be better for the people?"

Whereas Howard had the "battler's mate" image because he looked like one, and like so many who voted for him, had the most banal, suburban, middle-of-the-road taste. But was very much a top end of town man when it came to policy.

Keating said in the 1996 election campaign, "change the government and you'll change the country", and how right he was. It's still a great country, but what could have been had people not been sick of his arrogance, is a real sliding doors missed moment. Out of politics at 52. I hoped for years he'd make a comeback but my old man nailed it at the time: "He's tired. He's done it all. That's it."

A bloody shame, though.

Reactions: 9 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
On Peter Costello: "He's all tip and no iceberg."
On Andrew Peacock: "A painted, perfumed, gigolo."

He saved his best for Howard:
"I am not like the Leader of the Opposition. I did not slither out of the Cabinet room like a mangy maggot."
"The brain-damaged Leader of the Opposition."
"The greatest job and investment destroyer since the bubonic plague."
"The desiccated little coconut."

And I loved this exchange with Whitlam when the Big Man was God and PJK a young parliamentarian who had left school at 14, managed rock bands and been a devoted disciple of Jack Lang.

Gough: "You should go to university. Get an education."
PJK: "Why? Then I'd be just like you."

Blasphemy! But the man knew himself. And boy, did he know policy - what levers to pull, how a change in one area would affect other parts of the economy. And a big picture man, too.

Keating had the elitist image because of his taste in French clocks, Italian suits and German composers (when you have some big thinking to do, take a walk listening to Mahler. I now swear by it). He was an economic rationalist (aka neoliberal) but everything was underpinned by the question "what will be better for the people?"

Whereas Howard had the "battler's mate" image because he looked like one, and like so many who voted for him, had the most banal, suburban, middle-of-the-road taste. But was very much a top end of town man when it came to policy.

Keating said in the 1996 election campaign, "change the government and you'll change the country", and how right he was. It's still a great country, but what could have been had people not been sick of his arrogance, is a real sliding doors missed moment. Out of politics at 52. I hoped for years he'd make a comeback but my old man nailed it at the time: "He's tired. He's done it all. That's it."

A bloody shame, though.
Another Keating classic was an answer he gave John Hewson. Hewson said to him if your so confident, why don't you call an early election. Keating with a sh!t eating grin, replied , "because mate, I want to do you slowly" or words to that effect.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
On Andrew Peacock: "I suppose that the Honourable Gentleman's hair, like his intellect, will recede into the darkness."

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Scott Morrisons wife Jenny goes

'be nice to women raped in ministerial offices by young Liberals, what if it was our daughters?'

I suppose she's got a point,

her daughters are never going to be poor, black, unemployed or refugees,

are they?

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users