Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Scott Morrisons wife Jenny goes

'be nice to women raped in ministerial offices by young Liberals, what if it was our daughters?'

I suppose she's got a point,

her daughters are never going to be poor, black, unemployed or refugees,

are they?
Lucky Morrison has a wife, and daughters, or we may still have a PM who does not understand why rape is wrong.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Keating was a lot of things, and I didn't like, and continue to dislike, his neo-liberal policies.

But at least he was entertaining. Watching ScoMo is like watching grass grow, he's banal.

We have to pay for them, they should at least entertain us.

DS

'be nice to women raped in ministerial offices by young Liberals, what if it was our daughters?'

are they?
Ease E shooting from both barrels

Reactions: 1 user

are they?
it is worth noting that Morrison is the bloke that when Pamela Anderson tried to advocate on Julian Assange's behalf, Morrison made jokes -"I've had plenty of mates who have asked me if they can be my special envoy to sort the issue out with Pamela Anderson”
Show the respect he has for women.

Rather than discussing how Labor dont have an electable leader, we should be discussing the Libs "leader", and what a bad job he is doing.

Reactions: 6 users
it is worth noting that Morrison is the bloke that when Pamela Anderson tried to advocate on Julian Assange's behalf, Morrison made jokes -"I've had plenty of mates who have asked me if they can be my special envoy to sort the issue out with Pamela Anderson”
Show the respect he has for women.

Rather than discussing how Labor dont have an electable leader, we should be discussing the Libs "leader", and what a bad job he is doing.

It was Morrison or Dutton, things could definitely be worse.

Facebook - in line with the Govts media bargaining code - has blocked Australian users from viewing or sharing news.
where are we living? what year is this?
another step backward from this bunch of, for want of a better word, fascists.
this is frightening stuff, really ...

makes me think of the R.E.M. song - 'Exhuming Mccarthy'

"vested interest, united ties, landed gentry rationalize. sharpening stones, walking on coals, to improve your business acumen"

Last edited:
Facebook - in line with the Govts media bargaining code - has blocked Australian users from viewing or sharing news.

"vested interest, united ties, landed gentry rationalize. sharpening stones, walking on coals, to improve your business acumen"

Interesting first move by Facebook. Google should be next. Not sure who is going to win this battle. I suspect it will come down to whether the Government feels they can still get their message out or not. While the driver behind this is Murdoch and Costello leaning on their paid mates to get an extra stream of revenue, ultimately it will come down to the Governments ability to push out their narrative to the Australian public.

I wonder if there is a business here. I can setup a large virtual workstation farm where Aussies can rent a Facebook session hosted outside of Aus but accessible in Australia.

No it's all around the Australian gubbermint wanting FB/Google etc to pay for news content they or their users repost.

The tech giants and the sanctimonious twats who run them would have the world's population working for them as virtual slaves, funneling and hoarding the proceeds in the offshore tax haven network if they ultimately succeed. But because they speak the language of the cult of social justice as a 'look over there' diversion tactic, the sheep swallow it hook line and sinker and all is forgiven. Don't be so foolish as to believe the tech giants have any altruistic motivations. Money and pure greed is all they really stand for. And really is their reason for being. Two faced crooks. They don't block state owned news agencies, that are essentially propaganda arms of certain brutal undemoctratic regimes. Yet they will block news agencies of a country with a free press. It's all about being called out for their thievery. If anything, it teaches a lesson in the dangers of being too reliant on multinationals who live on the pretence that they are altruistic corporate citizens.

Now before I am accused of bias here, of course News Ltd are simply the other side of this same dirty coin. But in one's desire to take down News Limited, we shouldn't make the mistake of believing our enemy's enemy is our friend (so to speak).

Reactions: 3 users
The tech giants and the sanctimonious twats who run them would have the world's population working for them as virtual slaves, funneling and hoarding the proceeds in the offshore tax haven network if they ultimately succeed. But because they speak the language of the cult of social justice as a 'look over there' diversion tactic, the sheep swallow it hook line and sinker and all is forgiven. Don't be so foolish as to believe the tech giants have any altruistic motivations. Money and pure greed is all they really stand for. And really is their reason for being. Two faced crooks. They don't block state owned news agencies, that are essentially propaganda arms of certain brutal undemoctratic regimes. Yet they will block news agencies of a country with a free press. It's all about being called out for their thievery. If anything, it teaches a lesson in the dangers of being too reliant on multinationals who live on the pretence that they are altruistic corporate citizens.

Now before I am accused of bias here, of course News Ltd are simply the other side of this same dirty coin. But in one's desire to take down News Limited, we shouldn't make the mistake of believing our enemy's enemy is our friend (so to speak).

Not really. The issue here is the pricing mechanism that the government want to put in place, which is none. Internet firms and MSM need to negotiate a deal and if they can't come to one, a government appointed person will make a decision. It's opening the door to ridiculous charges without a limit.

Google and Facebook have agreements in other countries already. France is one. But the pricing is known in advance and agreed. Here the Gov has proposed a deal Facebook & Google would be foolish to sign.

In the meantime, Google and News have signed an agreement. https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/google-strikes-deal-news-corp-163603945.html

Not really. The issue here is the pricing mechanism that the government want to put in place, which is none. Internet firms and MSM need to negotiate a deal and if they can't come to one, a government appointed person will make a decision. It's opening the door to ridiculous charges without a limit.

Google and Facebook have agreements in other countries already. France is one. But the pricing is known in advance and agreed. Here the Gov has proposed a deal Facebook & Google would be foolish to sign.

In the meantime, Google and News have signed an agreement. https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/google-strikes-deal-news-corp-163603945.html
And under that deal French publishers are paid a pittance. They are bent over, barely using any Vaseline.

Murdoch is such a big arse hole that I doubt he needs Vaseline.
Murdoch is a *smile*, I am not disputing that, as you will have seen in my first comment. I'm just saying, believing your enemy's enemy is your friend and backing their cause out of that spite can be a fatal error of judgement.

I will point out too, that disgruntled French publishers are legally gagged from talking about it. So gives you an idea of the selective nature the tech giants have on free and transparent information. It's a malleable principle to say the least.

Last edited:
Murdoch is a *smile*, I am not disputing that, as you will have seen in my first comment. I'm just saying, believing your enemy's enemy is your friend and backing their cause out of that spite can be a fatal error or judgement.

OK, but the issue in Aus is that the Australian Gov proposed legislation proposes no cap or upper limit on the payments. This is completely in Murdoch's favour. News Limited is using our government as bargaining leverage for his US Based company, The same company that gives us Fox and Sky after Dark.

Both sides might be evil, but only one of them has bought our Government and has them doing their bidding for them.

Reactions: 2 users

I dont think many would think FB or google act for any reason ultimately other than profit- they may at times do charitable things, but they are compaines who exist to make money.

I dont have an opinion about the potential charges, but do find it curious that a government that preaches reducing red tape (while cutting environmental or worker protection), and capitalism is getting involved in relationships between private companies.

and the capitalist in me, believes FB etc are private companies- if they want to close pages etc, that is their choice, and people, companies and governments have a choice how they respond.

OK, but the issue in Aus is that the Australian Gov proposed legislation proposes no cap or upper limit on the payments. This is completely in Murdoch's favour. News Limited is using our government as bargaining leverage for his US Based company, The same company that gives us Fox and Sky after Dark.

Both sides might be evil, but only one of them has bought our Government and has them doing their bidding for them.
Don't disagree. However News isn't the only organisation who in principal believes the tech giants are trying to rip them off. ABC, Guardian , Fairfax here. And BBC in the UK, as well as Canadian broadcasters have all expressed similar views over recent years. So I take the view, got to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. May not get another chance like this again.

There is a game of chicken going on here to see who will blink first. If Australia doesn't blink, a whole host of other countries will likely follow suit.

No it's all around the Australian gubbermint wanting FB/Google etc to pay for news content they or their users repost.
that's right Ant, but the ripple effect goes further
and the govt have already made a mess of it because Facebook did today what the Govt asked and now the morons are denying it

There is a game of chicken going on here to see who will blink first. If Australia doesn't blink, a whole host of other countries will likely follow suit.

Yep, this is a lot bigger than Australia which is why the game of chicken has started. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.