Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
And Morrison knew about the rape. But it was the month before the election, see, so...you know...what was he supposed to do but cover it up?

View attachment 11570

What do you reckon jenny says about looking down the lense and lying through your bald face?

Could that happen to her girls one day?

Reactions: 1 user

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yep, we should tell Schumuckberg to bash his Facebook where to sun don't shine. The world was a better place when we didn't have it.
A quote I saw recently about the deranging effects FB (and social media more generally) is having on the collective societal mind. "Who thought it a good idea to put every village idiot in the world within instant contact of every other village idiot in the world?"

Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A quote I saw recently about the deranging effects FB (and social media more generally) is having on the collective societal mind. "Who thought it a good idea to put every village idiot in the world within instant contact of every other village idiot in the world?"
I couldn't have said it any better.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
hmmm, I wonder if Murdoch's long game was to remove Facebook from Australia. He's scared of Social Media and probably still burnt from his purchase of MySpace which News managed to ruin.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
i don't see the problem that needs to be solved, aren't both profiting from the arrangement already

Fair point, but is there enough to fund decent journalism?

I have certainly noticed lately that the ABC app has stories on it for days now. Yes, government funded but that is what happens when there are not enough funds to pay for the journalists.

As I have said before, I am not convinced this is the solution, but the ground is shifting and we do need news services. How they survive is an issue (although Murdoch can go to the bottom of the harbour as far as I am concerned, it is just a vehicle for disinformation).

DS

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Heh, no chance. Morrisson will find someone to take the fall. It's never him. Remember Sports Rorts ? He made sure his Sports Minister fell / was forced onto her sword. No one tells Morrisson anything.

You've got to wonder really. If my staff failed to tell me as many important things as Morrisson's staff do, if I didn't fire them, I'd be fired.
Didn't impact the Vic Premier when no one told him stuff about hotel quarantine. But he did fire the public servants who shafted him. And loaded the gun and handed it to Mikakos.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
hmmm, I wonder if Murdoch's long game was to remove Facebook from Australia. He's scared of Social Media and probably still burnt from his purchase of MySpace which News managed to ruin.
Yes he has torched plenty of moolah. But don't think he is skint. Re my space demise was it a case of Zuckerberg coming up with a better mousetrap?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The ALP is supporting the legislation as well Spook. I am under no illusion as to the motives of Murdoch and other media empires. I have no real empathy for them and I am happy to choose to read from a broad range of publications and if I want to pay for it.

But I am even more dubious of the intentions of Zuckerburg. He is intent on total social media domination globally (although he probably won't get his mitts on China). He has waged a campaign to rid himself of competition by purchasing Instagram and Whatsapp and has also made failed attempts to buy Twitter and Snapchat. He goes after the easily influenced younger demographic and melds their minds from an early age, as well as mining their data so he has it for life. His platforms play on the FOMO generations and they become very easily addicted. He is getting them young and wants to keep them for life. Let's face it he has little competition; these kids don't read Murdoch publications.
True re the ALP supporting it. The poor buggers are so brow-beaten and lost, they're like a beaten dog returning to its master for another kick in the hope one day it will get a pat instead.

You might be right re Zuck, but legislating that he has to pay news outlets for the privilege of promoting their products is absurd.

I'll take Zuck over Murdoch any day.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Didn't impact the Vic Premier when no one told him stuff about hotel quarantine. But he did fire the public servants who shafted him. And loaded the gun and handed it to Mikakos.

Look over there, they're just as bad!!!

Gee politicians deflecting and claiming plausible deniability, even worse, politicians from both major parties.

Dan screwed up but at least he responded and acted to try and get us out of the large wave of COVID we had, I don't see ScoMo doing much about anything at all. Not a bad thing really, ScoMo doesn't exactly reek of competence so the less he does the better really.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Would Australia be a better place if we told zuckerberg to *smile* off

And we got our news by visiting abc.net.au or murdoch.com

And got our pictures of kittens and babies falling off stuff from kittenandbabymayhem.com?

And if you wanted to root the girl you pashed in year 8, you go to the 20 year reunion?

*smile* hell. Zuckerbergs negotiating power is what exactly?
I was thinking,similar but more along lines of still Facebook or any other aggregator site but they operate on .com.au according to what we want.
A foreign miner runs a mine here according to our labour safety and environmental rules. Same miner elsewhere according to Chile, Brazil Indonesia laws. (Apologies for the red rag example)

Can a subset of FB operate here?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If the allegations are true and it is proven that he knew about this incident before he said he did, then no amount of diversion from his media mates will save him. There are still plenty of independent media organisations that will bring it to light.
Even Peta Cretin says he must have known.

Didn't Murdoch prefer Dutton?

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Best wishes to her. I hope the full truth comes out and that she is supported appropriately.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Best wishes to her. I hope the full truth comes out and that she is supported appropriately.
Yes agree, she's a very brave lady.

There also needs to be an investigation into how a security guard signed the alleged rapist and victim into Parliament House without security passes, and then unlocked the door to the then Defence Industry Minister Lisa Reynolds office. That's got to be a massive security breach!!!!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
There also needs to be an investigation into how a security guard signed the alleged rapist and victim into Parliament House without security passes, and then unlocked the door to the then Defence Industry Minister Lisa Reynolds office. That's got to be a massive security breach!!!!

First guess would be that it happens so often that they don't consider it an issue.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
First guess would be that it happens so often that they don't consider it an issue.
Who do you mean when you say "they don't consider it an issue". Drunk and let into the defence ministers office!!
I'd be interested what Morrison response is when asked what he thinks about a security guard unlocking the defence ministers door for 2 drunk Liberal Party staffers.
A massive security breach for mine.

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Who you mean when you say "they don't consider it an issue". Drunk and let into the defence ministers office!!
I'd be interested what Morrison response is when asked what he thinks about a security guard unlocking the defence ministers door for 2 drunk Liberal Party staffers.
A massive security breach for mine.
The guards would be used to seeing it by now