Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Porter has a track record ..
Remember "bonk -ban"? a fair bit of that involved this bloke, boozing it up with young female staffers.
and the 4 Corners article that spoke to people who knew him way back and his attitude to women..
who knows? he may be innocent of this claim, he may not
his stressed out self may be because he's innocent, it may be because he's very guilty ..
either way, he should get lost ..

Reactions: 3 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Porter has a track record ..
who knows? he may be innocent of this claim, he may not
his stressed out self may be because he's innocent, it may be because he's very guilty ..
either way,
This has played out as it should have since the information was forwarded to the AFP.
It follows Australia's justice system requirement. It is a police matter.
Speculation has no basis for driving outcomes.

Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
.............If Porter is guilty, why isn't he angry instead of being teary?

Come on Tigerman, you are better than that.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
.............If Porter is guilty, why isn't he angry instead of being teary?

Come on Tigerman, you are better than that.
If I was innocent and accused of the vile and disgusting things that he has been accused of, I'd be angry.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If I was innocent and accused of the vile and disgusting things that he has been accused of, I'd be angry.
I don't know how people would react if they were so publicly accused in the manner Porter was. I doubt many could even imagine what a situation like that is like. So angry or teary, dunno.

But still for the life of me I cannot accept that he didn't demand access to the documents to read in detail what he has been accused of. That makes no sense whatsoever

Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I don't know how people would react if they were so publicly accused in the manner Porter was. I doubt many could even imagine what a situation like that is like. So angry or teary, dunno.

But still for the life of me I cannot accept that he didn't demand access to the documents to read in detail what he has been accused of. That makes no sense whatsoever
When I was a kid, I'd cry when I got caught out doing something that was wrong, but get angry if I got accused of doing something that my brother did.

I guess we are all wired a bit differently, some might do the opposite.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
If Porter is innocent, why isn't he angry instead being teary.

I didn't think he came across as at all believable. She remembered all the details. He remembered some of them?
This fella is a smart bloke, a lawyer believe it or not. Yet he played dumb today.
I still have no idea why this dead woman would lie so intricately about something that happened 30 years ago.
Why didn't he demand an independant investigation to clear his name if he was innocent ? It stinks..

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
This has played out as it should have since the information was forwarded to the AFP.
It follows Australia's justice system requirement. It is a police matter.
Speculation has no basis for driving outcomes.
as far as the case goes, it's good the S.A. coroner has asked their police to further investigate ..
it wasn't speculation when women came forward who were touched up by him from Hale School to Canberra bars ..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Its not just him though is it. Its a dead woman, her family, another family, all sides of politics, the public, the media.
Either way he plays it he loses. So he plays it as low key as possible. Its a fair call for me because to go public on the attack against the above affected parties is a shocker of a call.
I, like everyother poster on this thread does not know what happened in 1988.
The police need to investigate it, not the lynch mob of 2021 which is the way most aspects of life are heading.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Its not just him though is it. Its a dead woman, her family, another family, all sides of politics, the public, the media.
Either way he plays it he loses. So he plays it as low key as possible. Its a fair call for me because to go public on the attack against the above affected parties is a shocker of a call.
agree with that. I imagine he asked his wife, or Morrison's wife, how he should respond and was told clearly not to be angry.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
"One of the early questions on rape and women being raped and the lack of reporting,"

"And one of the things that often happens with that is, they're not believed and their stories are not believed. And it's important that their stories are believed and that they know that if they come forward, their stories will be believed.

"And as I said, My father was a police officer. And you can only, you know, pursue the crimes when they're reported ... and so you know women in those circumstances I think should have a greater sense of confidence that if they tell their stories that they'll be believed."
Morrison.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
as far as the case goes, it's good the S.A. coroner has asked their police to further investigate ..
it wasn't speculation when women came forward who were touched up by him from Hale School to Canberra bars ..
I will admit I don't know about the touching up comments and ill not be researching it either, but if it was proven or he admitted to the act then yes its not speculation.
Yes it will be good if the police investigation occurs, the allegation deserves that.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I will admit I don't know about the touching up comments and ill not be researching it either, but if it was proven or he admitted to the act then yes its not speculation.
Yes it will be good if the police investigation occurs, the allegation deserves that.

HR, you have talked about a police investigation a few times and mentioned the Federal Police.

The Federal Police cannot investigate this, it is not in their jurisdiction.

The NSW police cannot investigate this as the complainant is no longer with us and they need a complainant apparently (something to do with NSW rape laws).

So, the only way to clear the air is to have an enquiry, possibly by a retired judge, who could proffer an opinion. As it stands Porter cannot be found guilty of this crime whether he did it or not.

The government needs to take the lead and set up an enquiry. I would think that the biggest issue they would have with an enquiry is that it will bring up all sorts of things and, while we do not know whether he committed this crime, there are bound to be other skeletons come out of the closet.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I, like everyother poster on this thread does not know what happened in 1988.
The police need to investigate it, not the lynch mob of 2021 which is the way most aspects of life are heading.
No doubt it's a very sensitive issue.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Should we be concerned that Australia's Attorney General thinks "there is no rule of law left"?

Kind of ironic.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Aged Care is the responsibility of the Federal Government.
Any regulations will need to be followed by private and state providers.
Yep, people get confused with this because state governments run many residential aged care facilities.
The federal government grant licenses to operate facilities and many state public hospitals have them. The Commonwealth provides funding to all operators but that is not enough to operate. Private operators get the rest by charging residents, the state operated ones have their funding topped up by the state Government.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
So, the only way to clear the air is to have an enquiry, possibly by a retired judge, who could proffer an opinion. As it stands Porter cannot be found guilty of this crime whether he did it or not.
DS
Fair call. It is the same outcome as my sentiment

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Just a few questions, if someone has the answers it would be appreciated.

Is Aged Care the responsibility of respective State governments. Or the Federal government
Will the Federal government to have a uniform set of regulations that the States will be liable to enforce?
Will the regulations be only for State run Care facilities or will Private providers be accountable.
Who provides the oversight on Health Care at present?

I’m of the belief that Private Aged Care is big business. I’ve had experience first hand at the cost of having family members in Private Care Homes. The costs are very high to get into them as well as the ongoing fees and charges.

Is it also subsidised by State or Federal (taxpayer) funds to the Private sector?
This is my understanding: every aged care resident receives federal govt funding based on their level of care need. Well the home they are in receives the funding, So in theory every resident should get same quality of care.

The home is then obliged to collect two fees from each resident which are forwarded to the govt
One is the basic fee of about $52 a day which is 80/85% of the pension. The other is a means tested fee ...can be up to 28,000 per year but a max of 65,000 for the duration. These fees don't give any more care as it goes back to the govt as they have already funded the care.

Accomodation is another matter and that's where you pay for the quality of the building. It is fair bit about what the market will bear. Around say Malvern a joint will be pushing $1m in an outer suburb under 500... pretty much reflects the cost of housing in the area.

If you are poor you don't have to pay the accom fee (which In any case are totally refundable when you leave ie die) . Every home has to have some "free" rooms. (A mate of mine - who could afford to buy the whole building - his old man was a pensioner and he got a room in a very fancy place for nothing just the $50 a day) however whether the floors are marble or Lino doesn't indicate the quality of care.

Dont know about the state run places but wouldn't surprise me if there is extra money tipped in by the state govt as they are part of the health system. So good luck to those who find a place in one of them, but most are in regional areas.

Reactions: 1 users