Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
1: Porter and Morrison saying they hadn't read the alleged victims statements - surely in order to deny something you would have to read the details of what you are denying ...
remember Scomo is a micro-manager; it's why Reynolds hasn't lost her job because she knows Morrison knew about what went on in the Brittany Higgins case ..

2. Harry and Meghan - neither have royal blood so what's the big deal ?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Fair call. Yet there remains very little criticism of the ALP’s support of the legislation; which would not have passed without said support.
I'd say that's mainly because the Libs are in Government, the ALP isn't. If the ALP was in power and pushing this through, I for one would be just as disgusted with the whole Murdoch shake down of new tech by using the Australian Government.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Interesting Four Corners last night. What I didn't realise was that they had the Christian Porter story when the original Canberra Bubble episode ran last year and couldn't run with it. I will wait and see whether there is any anti ABC backlash but to me it was a pretty balanced story. The Christian Porter press conference was shown extensively as was the view of a senior Law society figure explaining clearly why he believed that nothing further can be or should be done.

The alleged victim may well have made the statement and been alive today if it wasn't for COVID which seemed to push her over the edge, but we will never know. Porter is either telling the truth or he is a very convincing liar and we will never know that either

Reactions: 2 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Well said. I've always had no interest whatsoever.
It did rankle though that one of the higher up Royals apparently said what they did about a baby's colour though.
Racism like that will always make me see red no matter who says it.
Now bring on that Republic.

Doubt there would be a family in the world that didn't have an elderly aunt, uncle or whoever who wouldn't have said something so daft in the same situation.

My money is on Princess Anne.

Anyway, I agree to bringing on the republic

artball

Jul 30, 2013
The alleged victim may well have made the statement and been alive today if it wasn't for COVID which seemed to push her over the edge, but we will never know. Porter is either telling the truth or he is a very convincing liar and we will never know that either
there was something in that 4 corners story last night that sparked my curiosity - one of the alleged victims friends said that on the night of the crime they were all out together and when it came to going home they separated. Porter offered to walk the alleged victim home and she accepted. They then left the rest of the group.
I'm not so convinced by Porters stance, why didn't he come out straight away and say I'm innocent and welcome any inquiry ?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
there was something in that 4 corners story last night that sparked my curiosity - one of the alleged victims friends said that on the night of the crime they were all out together and when it came to going home they separated. Porter offered to walk the alleged victim home and she accepted. They then left the rest of the group.
I'm not so convinced by Porters stance, why didn't he come out straight away and say I'm innocent and welcome any inquiry ?
In Porter's press conference when he said that he was the person accused of the alleged rape, he said that his last contact with the alleged victim was at the debating competition in 1988.
On the four corners show last night the alleged victim said in a statement to police that she had dinner with Porter in 1994. If that's true, surely Porter would remember that.
He now concedes that it's possible that he has had contact with her since 1988.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
To be clear I am not defending Porter.
He did address that in a way I didn't totally understand. He said that he had to wait until a time when his statements didn't prejudice the NSW police investigation and that as the Commonwealth's number 1 legal officer he had to do that.
I have no idea if that is true or not btw.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Why did Kate have dinner with Porter in 1994 according to her unsworn affidavit? It's a very pertinent question.
Why would anyone have dinner with someone they allege raped them anally just 6 years earlier?
Doesn't make sense. All the more reason for an independent inquiry.

Last edited:

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Why did Kate have dinner with Porter in 1994 according to her unsworn affidavit? It's a very pertinent question.
Why would anyone have dinner with someone they allege raped them anally just 6 years earlier?
Doesn't make sense.

Abuse can have complex repercussions, eg victims of spousal abuse staying with their spouses.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Porter is either telling the truth or he is a very convincing liar and we will never know that either

he was a lawyer and is now a Liberal politician. i think that gives a pretty clear indication which option is right.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Doesn't make sense. All the more reason for an independent inquiry.
Yes , having dinner is one thing. Who initiated it and what was said is very relevant but without witnesses an inquiry is not going to uncover that.
I think the idea of an inquiry is misunderstood. It won’t be about his guilt or innocence because that is for the police and ultimately the courts but may well be about whether he is a fit and proper person to be a minister and not just a minister but the Attorney General.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yes , having dinner is one thing. Who initiated it and what was said is very relevant but without witnesses an inquiry is not going to uncover that.
I think the idea of an inquiry is misunderstood. It won’t be about his guilt or innocence because that is for the police and ultimately the courts but may well be about whether he is a fit and proper person to be a minister and not just a minister but the Attorney General.

Exactly, which is why all the obfuscation and buck-passing to the police is cynical and misleading.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Julie Bishop is calling for an inquiry into the Porter rape allegations as well now. Between these allegations and the Reynold's issue, it probably explains why Scotty from Marketing kept quiet all day yesterday.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

They want to avoid this at all costs as it would find any skeletons in the closet.

DS

artball

Jul 30, 2013
To be clear I am not defending Porter.
He did address that in a way I didn't totally understand. He said that he had to wait until a time when his statements didn't prejudice the NSW police investigation and that as the Commonwealth's number 1 legal officer he had to do that.
I have no idea if that is true or not btw.
wasn't thinking you were ST
agree that it is confused messaging coming from the top lawyer in the land and it's not a good look..