Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
A
They want to avoid this at all costs as it would find any skeletons in the closet.

DS
and if there is a finding against him, and he needs to be stood down, it will put the LNP into minority govt... and how will they fare with all the back-turning, phone-staring, etc that they have put on ppl in the past?

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Abuse can have complex repercussions, eg victims of spousal abuse staying with their spouses.

CP may have instigated it to make sure she was keeping silent about it... I find it highly doubtful that CP is going to be open and honest about anything that took place though.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Why did Kate have dinner with Porter in 1994 according to her unsworn affidavit? It's a very pertinent question.
Why would anyone have dinner with someone they allege raped them anally just 6 years earlier?
Doesn't make sense. All the more reason for an independent inquiry.
I'm puzzled also. But what if she thought he was going to confess his guilt to her, make an abject apology and beg forgiveness? Who knows what transpired or on what basis this get-together was organised?
Was she almost mesmerised by him? In disbelief that he could ever treat her like that; wanting some explanantion?
I'm also puzzled why it took so many years before she eventually took any action - like documenting her account and finally approaching (a very unhelpful) NSW police force.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
There's a lot of speculation/amateur psychology going on here. An inquiry should be conducted that would hopefully shed more light on it.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
There's a lot of speculation/amateur psychology going on here. An inquiry should be conducted that would hopefully shed more light on it.
Agree, i dont think it is helpful to speculate why an (alleged) rape survivor would meet with her (alleged) attacker.

speculating why our attorney general would lie about having seen the person accusing him of rape since the (alleged) attack is a different issue.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I wonder why the Morrison government weren't more public in their efforts to get Dr Moore-Gilbert released form the Iranian gaol. She was left to rot in gaol for almost two and half years.
Morrison didn't mind big-noting himself and Australia by being the first country in the world to demand an international inquiry into China and Covid.

Quiet diplomacy 'against my wishes'

Dr Moore-Gilbert says she maintained hope that she would be freed through a diplomatic deal orchestrated by the Australian government, but became frustrated by the inaction and Australia's approach of "quiet diplomacy".

She says she knew her story was "being deliberately kept out of the media” while the government tried to negotiate a quiet solution.

"That was against my wishes," she said.

Once her story became public in Australia more than a year after her arrest, she said she noticed “much greater attention was paid to my health and my condition".

Though Dr Moore-Gilbert says she's grateful for the Australian government for negotiating her final release, she says "she's not convinced the quiet diplomacy argument stacks up".

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I wonder why the Morrison government weren't more public in their efforts to get Dr Moore-Gilbert released form the Iranian gaol. She was left to rot in gaol for almost two and half years.
Morrison didn't mind big-noting himself and Australia by being the first country in the world to demand an international inquiry into China and Covid.

Quiet diplomacy 'against my wishes'

Dr Moore-Gilbert says she maintained hope that she would be freed through a diplomatic deal orchestrated by the Australian government, but became frustrated by the inaction and Australia's approach of "quiet diplomacy".

She says she knew her story was "being deliberately kept out of the media” while the government tried to negotiate a quiet solution.

"That was against my wishes," she said.

Once her story became public in Australia more than a year after her arrest, she said she noticed “much greater attention was paid to my health and my condition".

Though Dr Moore-Gilbert says she's grateful for the Australian government for negotiating her final release, she says "she's not convinced the quiet diplomacy argument stacks up".

Not sure its that simple. Another person currently held OS wants no publicity. I'm sure a stack of work gets done behind the scenes and the people inthat you never hear of.

I imagine if they started down the noisy path and she was killed they'd be getting the blame for that. She says she's grateful but is she really?

At least her husband stuck by her.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not sure its that simple. Another person currently held OS wants no publicity. I'm sure a stack of work gets done behind the scenes and the people inthat you never hear of.

I imagine if they started down the noisy path and she was killed they'd be getting the blame for that. She says she's grateful but is she really?

Yeah fair enough, behind the scenes diplomacy is the best approach, a pity Morrison didn't take that approach with OTHER countries in regards to an investigation into China and Covid.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Yeah fair enough, behind the scenes diplomacy is the best approach, a pity Morrison didn't take that approach with OTHER countries in regards to an investigation into China and Covid.
Live on your knees tigerman. Is that really how you want to live your life?
These 2 issues are completely unrelated, a little thanks and a shed load of appreciation from the Dr would be a much better way of looking at it.
As far as China goes, well they have shown their true colours pretty admirably in the last 12 months.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014

1. I think there is 'a lot of speculation/amateur psychology going on here.' See post 1 above.

2. It seems quite likely you are referring to my post as yours immediately follows, along with others I suppose. So I expect you will take it upon yourself to similarly rebuke or advise every poster on PRE re any use of 'a lot of speculation/amateur psychology going on here.' Given most posts are opinionated i.e. speculative, that would keep you busy forever I'd say.

FWIW, I fully support an inquiry; but was offering an evidence-based and psychologically supported, possible explanation for the alleged victim's apparent willingness to meet with CP years later. An event that might lead some to speculate on her initial allegations, or doubt . Pertinent to the whole issue I would think.

See 2.5.2 in: https://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/resources/publications/en/guidelines_chap2.pdf

Rather than patronising others or seeking to become a self-appointed mod/censor or site nanny, perhaps just try to allow others the same freedom of expression you obviously grant yourself. See 1.

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Agree, i dont think it is helpful to speculate why an (alleged) rape survivor would meet with her (alleged) attacker.

speculating why our attorney general would lie about having seen the person accusing him of rape since the (alleged) attack is a different issue.
You are welcome to read my response to MDJ. Perhaps it may then become clearer for you.
In the meantime, I might find it helpful if you could attempt to obtain a basic understanding of punctuation before offering patronising advice to others re their posts.
But anyone can speculate that CP may be a liar.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Just watched the four corners show from this week.

It's gut wrenchingly horrible. No matter what the truth is, the fact there isn't a proper inquiry being held is a national disgrace.

The boss cocky of law in our nation,

Is using literally morbid technicalities,

With encouragement from our PM,

In order not to clear his name.

If this dont bring a govt unstuck,

Then i'll be buggered

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
The boss cocky of law in our nation,

Is using literally morbid technicalities,

With encouragement from our PM,

In order not to clear his name.

If this dont bring a govt unstuck,

Then i'll be buggered
As are we all - by this disgrace of a government.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

yeah that's a tough situation. I'd assume DFAT experts were doing what they could - dealing with Iran can't be easy these days.

On the China Uighur thing, I'm old so I remember China progressively committing acts of political brutality and genocide in Tibet which the left campaigned very heavily against while the right looked the other way. The situation in Tibet is still no doubt shitty but that gets no attention these days.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Live on your knees tigerman. Is that really how you want to live your life?
Don't take my dislike of the Liberal Party personally HR, it goes back to the Whitlam dismissal. The self entitled Liberals, after being in power for nearly 25 years couldn't handle not being in power anymore.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
yeah that's a tough situation. I'd assume DFAT experts were doing what they could - dealing with Iran can't be easy these days.

On the China Uighur thing, I'm old so I remember China progressively committing acts of political brutality and genocide in Tibet which the left campaigned very heavily against while the right looked the other way. The situation in Tibet is still no doubt shitty but that gets no attention these days.
I can’t remember that. Perhaps not old enough. But here lies the problem and my major frustration why can’t both the left and the right campaign?