Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I can’t remember that. Perhaps not old enough. But here lies the problem and my major frustration why can’t both the left and the right campaign?

Yeah no worries MB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexation_of_Tibet_by_the_People's_Republic_of_China - 1951, but the really brutal stuff was happening for a long time and still is happening. Basically the Tibetans were being culturally subsumed by the Han Chinese, much like they are trying to eradicate Uighur culture and religion now.

Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Don't take my dislike of the Liberal Party personally HR, it goes back to the Whitlam dismissal. The self entitled Liberals, after being in power for nearly 25 years couldn't handle not being in power anymore.
Nah i get your position on which side you take, its just the let China get away with it until someone else speaks up stuff that does my head in. We are not New Zealand after all.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Great Saturday night viewing in Wa. Labor are well ahead in the state election. Long held blue ribbon Liberal seats will now be held by the Labor party.

With 17% of the votes counted it's ALP 46 - Libs - 2 Nat -3.

This is almost, as good as watching the Mighty Tiger winning premierships for fun.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Great Saturday night viewing in Wa. Labor are well ahead in the state election. Long held blue ribbon Liberal seats will now be held by the Labor party.

With 17% of the votes counted it's ALP 46 - Libs - 2 Nat -3.

This is almost, as good as watching the Mighty Tiger winning premierships for fun.
Is that because the WA Libs are as bad as the Vic Libs, or is there something else to it?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Just did some surfing on the WA election. I don't think I've ever seen a seat won by a margin like this before. It's ridiculous. 92% of the two party preferred vote.......

mgowan.jpg

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Is that because the WA Libs are as bad as the Vic Libs, or is there something else to it?
McGowan's hard border made him very popular, the leader of the opposition made a mistake by criticising it and saying it should be reopened. She resigned a couple of months before the election and was replaced by a young inexperience guy. That's it in a nutshell basically.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Phenominal result in WA. Who says polls can't be trusted any longer?
We will watch from the East to see if Australia's first? One party govt is a model for others to follow.

Is there a way Victoiria can go to the polls ahead of schedule eg double dissolution or some other pretext so ALP can replicate the WA trouncing? Both premiers had mass public approval so I would expect something very similar.

WA posters - did the Murdoch press and other media puppets undermine McGowan and if so why do you think they couldn't land a blow there?

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
McGowan's hard border made him very popular, the leader of the opposition made a mistake by criticising it and saying it should be reopened. She resigned a couple of months before the election and was replaced by a young inexperience guy. That's it in a nutshell basically.
Mate of mine is married to a WA native and was there for three weeks over Chistmas NY. Said life was if COVId never occurred.

From our perspective seems McGiwan only made one decision (or series of same decision) : close /open / close / border to respective states. (Maybe his other decision was to engineer the global iron price hike to generate the rivers of cash to keep the state thriving)

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

The Victorian Libs leader is terrible. They need to elect a new leader as soon a possible and that person it Richard Riordan. He talks a lot of sense on most topics and asks the hard questions in the committees he sits on. While the Libs have O’Brien and Tim Smith getting the headlines they have zero hope.

We do need a very strong opposition regardless of who you vote for to make the government of the day more accountable.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Mate of mine is married to a WA native and was there for three weeks over Chistmas NY. Said life was if COVId never occurred.
Yes apart from from the first few months, and a snap 5 day lock down a month or so ago it's been life as normal.
Like being in war time, it wasn't a good time to be a political opposition party.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
The WA election result goes a little further than it being a Covid result and federal LNP, despite knowing they were going to lose, wouldn't have predicted such a shellacing.
Some of those seats Labour gained were very set in stone LIberal gimmes and very wealthy demographics.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
While the Libs have O’Brien and Tim Smith getting the headlines they have zero hope.

We do need a very strong opposition regardless of who you vote for to make the government of the day more accountable.
Yeh, the Vic libs are pretty much a non-event. Whilst they endorse behaviour from guys like Smith they will remain a joke.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
WA posters - did the Murdoch press and other media puppets undermine McGowan and if so why do you think they couldn't land a blow there?
With 90% of West Australians supporting McGowan's hard border, and a budget surplus of $3.1 billion the media didn't try too hard, they knew they'd be peeing into the wind.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Some of those seats Labour gained were very set in stone LIberal gimmes and very wealthy demographics.
I'm amazed that the seat of Nedlands has fallen to Labor, it's the bluest of blue ribbon liberal party seats. Sir Charles Court and his son Richard held it for 50 years, it includes the suburb of Dalkeith which has a median annual income of $200,000 according to the last census. Gobsmacked!!.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I went to the Women's March4Justice rally at Treasury Gardens this afternoon. Thousands there. Incredibly powerful. Emotional. I nearly lost it a few times and don't mind admitting a few tears escaped - and more are now as I write this - for my sister, my ex-wife, my friends, for all the beautiful young girls, brave women and strong old ladies who have suffered trauma at the hands of men and have been fighting this *smile* forever. To see women of all ages, from schoolgirls to very old women, declaring #enoughisenoough was inspiring and heart-breaking at the same time.

Albanese spoke powerfully and with genuine empathy and understanding in parliament after meeting the marchers. Morrison cowered in his office then basically said they were lucky they weren't shot.

The tide surely must turn. We owe these women. All of us. All of them.

Reactions: 15 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I went to the Women's March4Justice rally at Treasury Gardens this afternoon. Thousands there. Incredibly powerful. Emotional. I nearly lost it a few times and don't mind admitting a few tears escaped - and more are now as I write this - for my sister, my ex-wife, my friends, for all the beautiful young girls, brave women and strong old ladies who have suffered trauma at the hands of men and have been fighting this *smile* forever. To see women of all ages, from schoolgirls to very old women, declaring #enoughisenoough was inspiring and heart-breaking at the same time.

Albanese spoke powerfully and with genuine empathy and understanding in parliament after meeting the marchers. Morrison cowered in his office then basically said they were lucky they weren't shot.

tho some may claim women have achieved equality, i think we need a thread about feminism and why it still needed in today's world.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013

it was powerful stuff Spook. Morrison has no feeling for the (any) situation. I don't get it because surely it would be good for him and his party to show empathy and consideration at what is an extremely delicate and important time.

Reactions: 3 users