Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Utopia is absolute quality, could be a documentary (many great characters but Rhonda is a particular favourite). Not far behind Frontline.

The Thick of It And Veep in a similar vein are quality too.

The original The Office hard done by. The benchmark when it comes to comedies that could be confused as documentaries.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The original The Office hard done by. The benchmark when it comes to comedies that could be confused as documentaries.

Yes Minister was well before The Office.

Utopia is specifically about a government bureaucracy and is truly scary. The ministerial advisor with nothing between the ears looking for an "announceable" every 5 minutes, the consultant who is seriously full of s***, the poor guy at the top actually trying to achieve something, the minister with an IQ <10. It is very good.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yes Minister was well before The Office.

Utopia is specifically about a government bureaucracy and is truly scary. The ministerial advisor with nothing between the ears looking for an "announceable" every 5 minutes, the consultant who is seriously full of s***, the poor guy at the top actually trying to achieve something, the minister with an IQ <10. It is very good.

DS

nah, Utopia was more about Courtney than anyone else. Under appreciated star.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Loved that too and recently rewatched the American The Office which must be about the few successful replication of a British TV series. Gervais' Extras is a favourite too.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yes, Minister was brilliant. Better than either version of The Office. Comfortably. Up there with Blackadder.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You could never mistake Yes Minister for anything but a comedy simply because of the laugh track that was smothering at times.

The original Office, if you happened to catch it half way through an episode without knowing anything about it, had you cringing and thinking you're watching reality TV.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I have to say I've never really liked comedy designed to make you cringe, I can see the writing brilliance in The Office but doesn't really appeal.

Like most people I've had a few bosses who seem to have watched The Office and thought it was an instructional video.

DS

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
SloMo caught out by The EU telling more porkies about the Covid19 vaccine availability.
This Government defies description.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The next time some Herald-Sun headline-glancer tells you Labor's in bed with China, show him this handy little youtube clip he doesn't even have to read.

Game, set, *smile* 'en match.

Or should be. Time to buy back the farm.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The next time some Herald-Sun headline-glancer tells you Labor's in bed with China, show him this handy little youtube clip he doesn't even have to read.

Game, set, *smile* 'en match.

Or should be. Time to buy back the farm.
The content is very interesting but I find it almost impossible listening to that guy.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
ha ha

It's got nothing to do with being a boomer. He is just a guy trying to be Jon Stewart or John Oliver but is crap at it
His 480,000 subscribers would disagree. As do I. He's gunning to get more viewers than Channel 7's nightly news.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The content is very interesting but I find it almost impossible listening to that guy.

He is clearly an ALP hack trained up in some uni ALP club. Seen hundreds like him before. Lib hacks are slightly different but no less irritating for it.

It is a pity he comes across like such an ALP hack as what he is saying is very good. Mind you, exposing hypocrisy by politicians is likely to elicit a yawn from most people. The calibre of politicians has never been high, the respect they command from the general population has dropped, from a low base, and they have no respect at all really. Not that many of them deserve any respect.

The way the current bunch of clowns in government try and claim they are standing up to China has always been laughable. The Libs are even more prone to sell the country off to the highest bidder than the ALP. Wish we had bought back the farm back in the 1970s - the ALP was a bit different then, but, more importantly, the way the world was viewed was quite different back then.

Just as an aside, that guy's 480k subscribers would be heavily populated with ALP hacks and their enemies. Juice Media honest government ads have 580k subscribers and they don't have those who are obliged to subscribe to a fellow hack's account.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
He is clearly an ALP hack trained up in some uni ALP club. Seen hundreds like him before. Lib hacks are slightly different but no less irritating for it.

It is a pity he comes across like such an ALP hack as what he is saying is very good. Mind you, exposing hypocrisy by politicians is likely to elicit a yawn from most people. The calibre of politicians has never been high, the respect they command from the general population has dropped, from a low base, and they have no respect at all really. Not that many of them deserve any respect.

The way the current bunch of clowns in government try and claim they are standing up to China has always been laughable. The Libs are even more prone to sell the country off to the highest bidder than the ALP. Wish we had bought back the farm back in the 1970s - the ALP was a bit different then, but, more importantly, the way the world was viewed was quite different back then.

Just as an aside, that guy's 480k subscribers would be heavily populated with ALP hacks and their enemies. Juice Media honest government ads have 580k subscribers and they don't have those who are obliged to subscribe to a fellow hack's account.

DS
I have no idea if he is an ALP hack or not but the reality is that the ALP has so much ammunition to use against this current government that it is an indictment on them that they don’t seem to be able to use it effectively.
What we have is one of the most morally bankrupt governments in our history but an inept opposition.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I have no idea if he is an ALP hack or not but the reality is that the ALP has so much ammunition to use against this current government that it is an indictment on them that they don’t seem to be able to use it effectively.
What we have is one of the most morally bankrupt governments in our history but an inept opposition.

I agree on the ammunition the ALP have, what they need is a leader with some talent. He made some comment the other day about the vaccination mess and included a reference to a cola plant or something and it really sums him up - it was woeful when he should have laid a direct hit on the government.

Albo has to go.

As for the guy looking like an ALP hack, believe me, he looks like an ALP hack from central casting, he screams ALP hack to anyone who had to deal with their type at uni. Anyway, who else would wear a Jack Lang T Shirt?

DS