Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
That's because iron man McGowan has finally realised he can't keep COVId out just by shutting the borders every 5 minutes. He doesn't really care if COVId hits his state just has to be able blame someone else. It's not political though.
Yeh, McGowan is no better than any other politician. His actions got him a landslide election win so he's happy.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Ill be slightly less cynical, and say things can only improve now Dutton is no longer involved in these decisions.

so in recent days, the gov has started to backtrack on the Indian ban, jail time for those who do return from India, the detention of the family on Christmas Island, on funding quarantine facilities, and on "independent assessments" for those who receive NDIS funding and has flagged big increases in aged care and child care funding (tho this gov is prone to announcing spending then not actually spending it.)
and have started to talk up "war" with China

I assume they arent doing so well in polls? or are preparing to call an election?

It's hard to argue against much of the discussion on this board about this gov't being a massive failure in a lot of areas, led by perhaps our worst PM in living memory.

I don't think Scomo knows what leadership is.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
The National Cabinet needs to come together and sort out quarantine. One suspects quarantine facilities will be needed for the forseeable future. The issue needs consensus and should be led by the feds. I wonder what advice they got early in the pandemic in relation to quarantine from the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee. I assume they take minutes at these meetings, they would be interesting reading to see who/why the decision was made to have the states run quarantine.

Reactions: 3 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
more likely to become Chairman of The Office of United Nation Human Rights.

these people are psychopaths and they write the rules

#theworldisfucked
they truly are psychopaths eZy ... it's beyond me ... the same way violent crime is ...

may they all become pig food

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
It's hard to argue against much of the discussion on this board about this gov't being a massive failure in a lot of areas, led by perhaps our worst PM in living memory.

I don't think Scomo knows what leadership is.
I will take the bait
Definitely better than ScoMo
Gough
Hawke
Howard
Probably better
Mal F
Paul (but his legacy was as Treasurer)
Kev 07 version
In the debate
Julia
Tone

ScoMo better than
Kev Mk II
Mal T

So hardly a ringing endorsement but Keeping Aus largely COVId free has to give him some place in history.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I will take the bait
Gough
Hawke
Howard
Probably better
Mal F
Kev 07 version
In the debate
Julia
Tone

ScoMo better than
Kev Mk II
Mal T

So hardly a ringing endorsement but Keeping Aus largely COVId free has to give him some place in history.
Can he really take the credit for covid? It's happened despite him IMO.

And Scomo has certainly had less white-anters than poor Mal T.

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
By shoving most responsibility and all the daily grind of hard work off to the states? Hardly! What!
So he and his lackeys can turn around and lay the boots into the ALP-led states when a quarantine breakout occurred - for political advantage. When it is a federal responsibility! But hardly a peep when happened in Lib-led states. What a massive hypocrite and flog.

All while sponsoring and encouraging politicians and other leadership appointments from the far-right and nutcase, highly conservative, wacky 'Christian' religions to permeate the Australian parliament and public life. He is an absolute fraud of a leader and would actively undermine Australian secular public life if allowed his way.

Our most flakey, incompetent and deceptive PM ever. A Murdoch puppet, going so badly that Lachlan M flew in (of course allowed to breach the Covid protocols required for any Joe Citizen) to probably evaluate whether they should turf him out for Fraudenburg or Dudone.

Watch P. Costello working away behind the scenes to lever Fraudenburg in to replace Scomo.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Now Morrison (or maybe Trumplite) is blaming the media for reporting the possible jail times for Australians returning from India- jail times that were prominently highlighted in the government press release.

Sorry 22, but there is no debate- Morrison is the worst PM Australia has had in living memory- even worse than Abbott, which says something. At least Abbott consistently pushed his extremely conservative, extremely Catholic world view. Morrison flips and flops from bad policy to bad policy while blaming everyone but himself, and the government he "leads" .

In regards to Australia's Covid success, Morrison and his government were too slow to introduce any sort of quarantine in the first place, which led to the "1st wave" in Australia. Morrison and his gov were then responsible for the Ruby Princess disaster. They have since been responsible for the vaccine program, which has been pure incompetence.
Quarantine- run by the states, despite it flaws, has kept Australia mostly safe, and the handling of community transmission, again managed by the states has for the most part limited the impact of the virus.
So, no, Morrison cannot claim any credit for Australia's handling of Covid- though I am sure he will.

Reactions: 9 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
I will take the bait
Gough
Hawke
Howard
Probably better
Mal F
Kev 07 version
In the debate
Julia
Tone

ScoMo better than
Kev Mk II
Mal T

Yep I'll pay that though Gough did soil his reputation with dodgy dealings with Middle Eastern Arms dealers and his support for the obviously corrupt Al Grasby.
Let me put it this way Gough was the change we had to have but, in the end, he screwed it up.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I don't agree with Andrew Bolt on a lot of things, but I agree with him on this, good on him for calling out the Morrison government.

"Andrew Bolt: We need a better quarantine system now

We can’t rely on a quarantine system so ramshackle we can’t even bring home children trapped in India without pollies claiming it would be “overwhelmed”.

It’s shameful enough Scott Morrison is banning 173 Australian children from flying out of virus-ravaged India and back home to their parents.
That already shows the Prime Minister is listening to the worst of us in shutting our borders to the 9000 Australian citizens in India, including children visiting relatives.

How can we lock out even unaccompanied children from Australia and its fine hospitals, and abandon them instead in a country where the virus is raging and hospitals are running out of oxygen?

It breaks my heart this is the heartless, panicky, every-man-for-himself country we’ve become.

But now there’s even more reason to despair. Morrison told this newspaper at the weekend he also won’t lift the travel bans on the rest of us for quite some time, even though about 2.5 million of the most vulnerable Australians have already been vaccinated.

“I don’t see an appetite for that at the moment,” he said. “What we’re seeing at the moment is the appreciation of the people that the pandemic isn’t going anywhere.”

Oh, I see Morrison is taking his cues from polls, and not from Liberal philosophy.

It should actually be in the DNA of every Liberal that a government does all it can to help citizens live as they please, rather than ban them for its own convenience.

Or to please the braying of the polls.

Yes, I know our freedoms must end at the point others are harmed. Your right to visit India ends where your return means others die.

But who says that’s the real trade-off? Are Australians really so brainless we still can’t figure out a way to let citizens come back without endangering the rest of us?

I ask, because the right to travel is not some trivial indulgence — a luxury that can be lightly taken away.

Nearly eight million of us were born overseas. Millions more — like me — have children or other beloved relatives overseas, including some so old or frail that we may never see them again if we can’t leave soon.

We should be free to leave our own country, whether to visit family, work or simply see the world — long a rite of passage for the most adventuresome and curious.

Australia is not the Soviet Union, banning citizens from leaving without a reason deemed suitable by some government apparatchik.

Correction: That is exactly what Australia now is. And shouldn’t be.

Yes, while the coronavirus still rages, we should limit those leaving so our quarantine hotels aren’t overwhelmed on their return.

But the Morrison government — and the states — have known for more than a year we need much better quarantine services if Australians can again travel abroad.

That is even more obvious now. Even if you get vaccinated, you can still become infectious.

What’s more, this coronavirus is mutating, and some strains can beat existing vaccines.

Morrison himself says we may need booster shots for years to come — which is another way of saying the coronavirus will threaten Australia for many years yet.

So how long will we be restricted from travelling? How insular — and ignorant — the next generation will become.

We need a proper quarantine system, and not just to get us over the next few months.

It will have to last for years, and be able to deal with Australians once again travelling overseas in their tens and tens of thousands.

That system will almost certainly switch to a hybrid that includes home quarantine, as Morrison suggests.

But it must also have dedicated and purpose-built quarantine centres to deal with the inevitable outbreaks or more dangerous virus strains.

That means no more relying on today’s quarantine hotels — many barely fit for purpose — that are, bizarrely, in the middle of our biggest cities, making any virus outbreak a potential catastrophe.

We cannot keep relying on a system so ramshackle Australia can’t even bring home 173 children trapped in India without politicians claiming it would be “overwhelmed”.

What kind of country would accept such a system?

What kind of country would say: Let those Australian children get sick in India, where they’d struggle to find some hospital bed?

What kind of politicians would shamelessly argue our quarantine hotels can’t handle the danger of bringing children home?

Let me answer: It’s a country where the most timid and hard dictate policy for the bold and curious.

It’s a country with politicians grown so authoritarian even Liberals would rather control people than let them live free."

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I agree with the thrust of the article, but the comment that we have become an every man for himself country is more than ironic when Bolt has been a major cheer leader for that very ideology.

DS

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Says he has kids and frail relatives overseas.

As Paul Keating said, in the race of life, always back self interest.
You know it is self interest when right wing shock jocks like Bolt say something. they are best ignored as you know if there are any facts in his article, which is rare, they will be cherry picked to suit his agenda while any possible counter arguments, or counter facts, will be ignored or dismissed.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I will take the bait
Gough
Hawke
Howard
Probably better
Mal F
Kev 07 version
In the debate
Julia
Tone

ScoMo better than
Kev Mk II
Mal T

your not seriously considering the morrison govt more effective than gillards?

that is actually akin to saying gold coast sun were more effective than richmond in the last 5 years

gillard had the highest rate of any govt ever at passing legislation in a hung parliament.

morrisons done *smile* all other than repealing medevac for sick refugees in detention.

fair dinkum

i think gillard was the best PM we ever had, and so she got kneecapped

Reactions: 3 users