Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

"A secret marketing strategy to convince Australians to support a controversial overhaul of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) says the federal government must be “seen” to have listened to concerns of disability groups, who will be targeted with an extensive campaign..."

When will more people get sick of having exactly this attitude displayed by a govt who is, each time, showing they don't care about facts, process or good governance, just the appearance of such?

Reactions: 2 users
I was talking to a 'kind of' mate the other day and he is a Liberal voter. When I asked him why, he said it is for two reasons 1. "They keep Australia safe!" and 2. they have made it so if you are in the ADF and on duty somewhere, you don't pay any tax on the money you earn during that time.

That was it.

If Labor pushed out that they think the second is spot on, and they will keep that policy, they would probably start to make ADF personnel think more about who they will be voting for.

IMO his points show that he isn't as smart as he thinks he is, and is the selfish twat that we think he is!

As far as I know the second aspect, that you don't pay tax if in the armed forces and posted somewhere, has been the case for decades.

As for the first, the vaccine stuff up would indicate the opposite. Was it not Menzies who sold the Japanese pig iron, which they helpfully gave back to Darwin?

DS

As for the first, the vaccine stuff up would indicate the opposite. Was it not Menzies who sold the Japanese pig iron, which they helpfully gave back to Darwin?

DS
Are you referring to the attack on Darwin in WW2?

Yep, the Libs and their predecessors have been keeping us safe for decades.

DS
Didn't know about us selling the iron to Japan. The ALP's Curtin was PM for most of the war but Menzies was PM for the first couple of years so you could be right. Also coalition PMs in the years leading up to the war.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't know about us selling the iron to Japan. The ALP's Curtin was PM for most of the war but Menzies was PM for the first couple of years so you could be right. Also coalition PMs in the years leading up to the war.

Pre-War as a response to Japanese militarism in Asia. Menzie's nickname in Labor circles "Pig Iron Bob" came about when he was A-G in the Lyons government. Trade unions refused to service Japanese vessels carrying pig iron because of Japan's invasion of China and the infamous "Rape of Nanking". Menzies got involved to force them to comply.

Reactions: 1 users
As far as I know the second aspect, that you don't pay tax if in the armed forces and posted somewhere, has been the case for decades.

DS
Yeah, no idea on that one myself, but he seemed sure that it was a "Liberal policy".

I just remember Menzies being called Pig Iron Bob.

He was PM for a while early in the war, but replaced by Curtin, and without an election, might be the last time the government changed without an election.

Menzies would have been leading the United Australia Party back then, but it dissolved along with his government. He set up the Libs in 1949.

DS

Did I see the kid Toomey has on a HFF in his draft team,

Tyler Sonsie,

playing Richmond VFL?

edit: oops, drastically wrong thread.

Last edited:

yeah big day reforming and legislating by the LNP yesterday

the Super Yacht Bill; allowing international luxury super yachts to register and operate (charter) in our waters;

and

Reducing Foxtels requirement to run 10% Australian content in Australia.

*smile* me these *smile* are corrupt, gormless, puppets with Murdoch working the strings

Reactions: 2 users
Heh heh. You gotta love those pesky Taiwanese. They like to stick it to China whenever they can.

Accepting US supplies of Covid vaccines whilst turning their back on Chinese supplies.

Reactions: 1 users
we'd be paying Porter's costs as well id reckon?
Nup, just their own, plus the $100k "settlement"

The abc CEO (?) reckoned a trial would have cost them $1.2 - $1.5 million if it was three weeks long.

Nup, just their own, plus the $100k "settlement"

The abc CEO (?) reckoned a trial would have cost them $1.2 - $1.5 million if it was three weeks long.
I think etzy is asking if the government fund Porter's legal team as well.