Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Seeing the way Facebook and Google have clamped down on friendlyjordies, as well as google restricting the kangaroo court bloke, it would be good to see the full details of the News Media Bargaining Code that was agreed between the major online agencies and the Government. Naïvely I thought it was only about the Feds making sure Murdoch and Costello keep their revenue streams up, but maybe there's a fair bit more to what was finally agreed.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Interesting times. Feels like our democratic rights to voice an opinion is being slowly stripped away.

With legal action against that minister & cops by the group ( if i got this right) theyve applied that law against them. Woah. A meme site! But there has to be more to it maybe we dont know about.

I don't know much about that group except they look like ALP hacks from central casting.

But the so-called anti terror laws, which both major parties endorsed, allow for some very draconian actions by government, like arrest without anyone allowed to know about it and things like this.

It does beg the question about rights like free speech in Australia, which has no bill of rights. Our right to free speech, and various other freedoms, is very vague and very weak.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I don't know much about that group except they look like ALP hacks from central casting.

But the so-called anti terror laws, which both major parties endorsed, allow for some very draconian actions by government, like arrest without anyone allowed to know about it and things like this.

It does beg the question about rights like free speech in Australia, which has no bill of rights. Our right to free speech, and various other freedoms, is very vague and very weak.

DS

yes, lefties and civil libertarians warned of exactly this at the time, Edward Snowden one the key guys on this.

But no, we had to sell our civil rights because Muslims are out to get us. Great sell by the intelligence communities.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Peta Credlin and Chris Hemsworth bestowed with a companion of the order of Australia by the queen for ...........

service to humanity.

Must have broaden the description of service to include;

sucking on savaloys and hateful Murdochian broadcasting; and

getting paid $50m for dressing up as a super hero and wielding a paper mache hammer?

either that, or they misinterpreted humanity? Service to Manatees? nah.

The judges most likely thought it was Service to Vanity?

Certainly Hemsworth a worthy recipient in that context.

Not sure about Credlin. Service to Christianity? Subterranity? Profanity?

I reckon they thought it was for Service to Insanity?

Im sorry fellas, but I think we are rooted.

I think Howard took us to a dark cultural place, that there isnt time enough to come back from.

I think we are *smile*.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Amazing. Some of the anti Dan Andrews bile & hate I've read online has been far worse than anything on that Youtube site.
Have those sites been shut down too?
As I've said before our democracy is a sham & those that cry out for the right to free speech often are the biggest snowflakes going when the they don't agree with another person's alternative take. Heck the front pages of Murdoch's newspapers for a start. Hypocrites!
This is indeed a slippery slope.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
But this can't be right. I thought it was the Free Speech Loving Right that were waging war on the Radical Left's Cancel Culture. But it looks like it's the Radical Left that's being cancelled.

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
But this can't be right. I thought it was the Free Speech Loving Right that were waging war on the Radical Left's Cancel Culture. But it looks like it's the Radical Left that's being cancelled.

Don't think the friendly Jordies are radical left but your point is correct.

Traditionally it has been the right who have enjoyed censorship and they haven't changed. They only love free speech when it suits them. They certainly are a bit fragile to when it comes down to it, you dish it out you have to be willing to get it back.

The laws introduced to outlaw terrorists from doing things which were illegal already, now being used to curtail free speech - gee who could have seen that coming?

DS

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Alas, poor Australia. I knew him, Robbo: a fellow
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is!

On Scummo's friends, I'd say he can't be too choosy. Imagine meeting the bloke in a pub. (I wish.)

Reactions: 1 user

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

Good article. Very thought provoking. Must be more incentive to employers to lift wages especially in the minimum wage jobs, less casual workers. And government incentives to get people to live in regional Australia. Give them a cash bonus via their tax if they work full time for longer than 12 months. In my local community there are lots of farming jobs that pay pretty decent money but no one wants to do them. With backpackers drying up it’s made the situation a lot worse.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Good article. Very thought provoking. Must be more incentive to employers to lift wages especially in the minimum wage jobs, less casual workers. And government incentives to get people to live in regional Australia. Give them a cash bonus via their tax if they work full time for longer than 12 months. In my local community there are lots of farming jobs that pay pretty decent money but no one wants to do them. With backpackers drying up it’s made the situation a lot worse.

It's not how our system works but wouldn't it be nice to take the entire Australian taxation system to a referendum. Grab Ken Henry's review, which on the surface seemed quite rational, logic and non-partisan, and ask the population if they want it implemented. Simple Yes or No.

Having worked in a few countries now, the Aussie tax system is the most convoluted and with loopholes in place ensure the more you earn, the more you can minimise your tax. But no government will ever make a real effort to sort it out because it's political suicide. The only way it could happen is for both sides to support it and agree not to make it a wedge. Never happen.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Implementing the Henry Review would be one of the best things we could do for the country.

The issue with getting people to live regionally or rurally is work. That and it's boring.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It's not how our system works but wouldn't it be nice to take the entire Australian taxation system to a referendum. Grab Ken Henry's review, which on the surface seemed quite rational, logic and non-partisan, and ask the population if they want it implemented. Simple Yes or No.

Having worked in a few countries now, the Aussie tax system is the most convoluted and with loopholes in place ensure the more you earn, the more you can minimise your tax. But no government will ever make a real effort to sort it out because it's political suicide. The only way it could happen is for both sides to support it and agree not to make it a wedge. Never happen.
At the end of the article it talks about cash refunds under dividend imputation which was labor policy at the last election of course, along with negative gearing changes. These are two tax changes that should happen but have been confined to the political scrap heap.
Tax policy is not debated in any intelligent way in Australia, it is pure politics and slogans and no meaningful change can ever happen whilst that continues

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
he is a fool. the Libs probably demanded he be the Nats leader to ensure our deputy PM never appears more intelligent than Morrison.
The Libs were obviously worried McCormack wasnt quite inept enough.

Seriously the Libs would be laughing that the Nats might get the stuff ups off the front page, until the remember they are coalition partners, and a vote for the Libs is now a vote for Morrison and Joyce and Australia's leaders.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think Barnaby will ultimately prove good for Australia.

he will wedge Libs on Climate Change Denial, and hopefully cause havoc in the coalition.

Mistreatment of woman in parliament is pretty topical,

so The Nationals appoint a changed Barnaby as deputy pm.

Hillbilly Clowns.

Barnaby will be even less discreet than McCormack, in pretending

The Nationals stand for anything other than

Coal, Cotton and Killing Koalas.