Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Geez, looting after a disaster, there sure are some low lifes out there. But this is not unusual. I got flooded decades ago when living in StKilda and there were looters out trying to snatch stuff people had drying out in front of apartment blocks and the like.

I am also on a cycling thread and you see the better side of people sometimes - there is a thread there about avoiding going to the Dandenongs for a ride. The Dandenongs are popular because of some good challenging climbs, but quite a few people putting the word out to avoid them until things are sorted, then go for a climb and spend some cash in their cafes.

DS
Doesn't take a disaster for the lowlife to appear...Friend of mine had her shopping knocked off from the back of her car as she was opening her front door in Grey St St Kilda.
And unless there is a steeplechasing version of cycling would have thought riding in the Dandenongs would be off the agenda for personal safety reasons for a while.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
SloMo has a plan, the trouble is someone else wrote it & handed it to him upside down. He's still trying to work out how to turn it the right way up. :oops:

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
hard not to argue with the old Ruddster on that. Pity he didn't apply the rule it to his pink batts minister. I note he used the old Paddington bear example. That is quoted so often I reckon it was the exception not the rule to ministerial accountability. (The editor did a great job converting Ruddese into English)

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
More jobs for the boys/girls

Hope you aren't surprised that politians make political appointments to these sort of roles.
But I would add that not being a media insider would provide an element of diversity. Plenty of corporate boards appoint directors with no experience in the business of the company. Same with community boards. It Skill and Independen thinking that is needed. media insiders superior, entitled wankers

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hope you aren't surprised that politians make political appointments to these sort of roles.
But I would add that not being a media insider would provide an element of diversity. Plenty of corporate boards appoint directors with no experience in the business of the company. Same with community boards. It Skill and Independen thinking that is needed. media insiders superior, entitled wankers
I don't disagree.
I'd much prefer Fletcher appointed the best person instead of a best friend, who he had also appointed to another board a few years earlier.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Well worth a look.

Problem with Bank's statement is unless she names names, the incident won't gain any traction and will soon be forgotten when ScoMo buys an outdoor Pizza Oven for the lodge and makes pizza for Jen and the girls

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Well worth a look.

She was my local member. Was inaccessible to anyone but her Greek brethren. By winning the seat after Anna Burke retired was the only seat Liberals won from the ALP and gave Turnbull a majority of one. Regretted switching my vote but the ALP candidate was a mediocre local councillor. Then again parliament didn't really need another lawyer. Famous for saying she could live on $40 a day dole.
Saw the 730 interview, she looked traumatised.
She inferred she was run out of politics but she stood as an independent against Hunt in Flinders so she was obviously not that that concerned about returning to such a toxic workplace.
Her most telling observation was the comparison with modern corporate culture v parliament. Politicians live in a different universe.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
She was my local member. Was inaccessible to anyone but her Greek brethren. By winning the seat after Anna Burke retired was the only seat Liberals won from the ALP and gave Turnbull a majority of one. Regretted switching my vote but the ALP candidate was a mediocre local councillor. Then again parliament didn't really need another lawyer. Famous for saying she could live on $40 a day dole.
Saw the 730 interview, she looked traumatised.
She inferred she was run out of politics but she stood as an independent against Hunt in Flinders so she was obviously not that that concerned about returning to such a toxic workplace.
Her most telling observation was the comparison with modern corporate culture v parliament. Politicians live in a different universe.
She does appear to be scarred by her time in politics. The likes of Morrison, Porter and Dutton are a formidable unit.
I'm sure if she had her time again she might not say that she could live on 40 bucks a day.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
She does appear to be scarred by her time in politics. The likes of Morrison, Porter and Dutton are a formidable unit.
I'm sure if she had her time again she might not say that she could live on 40 bucks a day.
do you think Hawke Keating were any less formidable? Poltics is rough and tumble and it starts early. I was a participant in student politics and it was dirty pool from day one. And no matter the high moral ground the left occupy they were the masters of it. And the more ALP councillors and Greens dominate local councils the more dirty the politics are at that level.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
do you think Hawke Keating were any less formidable? Poltics is rough and tumble and it starts early. I was a participant in student politics and it was dirty pool from day one. And no matter the high moral ground the left occupy they were the masters of it. And the more ALP councillors and Greens dominate local councils the more dirty the politics are at that level.
Never mind they'll probably be given short shrift.

The new control of Australian politics and lawmaking might not be too far away.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
People can believe whatever the hell they want of course, but if it means they infringe on other people's rights that sucks.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
People can believe whatever the hell they want of course, but if it means they infringe on other people's rights that sucks.
What are peoples rights in Australia? There are only 5 in the constitution. Others can be added through parliament.

There are five explicit individual rights in the Constitution. These are the right to vote (Section 41), protection against acquisition of property on unjust terms (Section 51 (xxxi)), the right to a trial by jury (Section 80), freedom of religion (Section 116) and prohibition of discrimination on the basis of State of residency (Section 117).