Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
They're making a lot of good noises. If they can add more quality candidates I could see them stealing quite a few votes from moderate to progressive Liberals who despise Morrison and co. but can't bring themselves to vote Labor.

Julian Burnside was a big chance to unseat Frydenblerg in Kooyong last election running for the Greens, until the Libs nach tipped a big ol' barrel of pork into the battling area.

Not sure it's as simple as just not wanting to vote ALP. Albanese doesn't inspire much confidence TBH. And I like the idea of a smaller party with sensible ideas holding balance of power. Ideally ensuring there is some sensibility being passed. Either way, this election is there isn't a decent moderate progressive candidate to choose from, I won't be voting for this corrupt government so Albanese may end up with my vote.

That is until they get infiltrated by an extreme or narrow ideology and start gorse trading votes in parliament for favours.

Reactions: 1 user

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Not sure it's as simple as just not wanting to vote ALP. Albanese doesn't inspire much confidence TBH. And I like the idea of a smaller party with sensible ideas holding balance of power. Ideally ensuring there is some sensibility being passed. Either way, this election is there isn't a decent moderate progressive candidate to choose from, I won't be voting for this corrupt government so Albanese may end up with my vote.

That is until they get infiltrated by an extreme or narrow ideology and start gorse trading votes in parliament for favours.
My hope is the likes of Leigh, Wong, Plibersek and Bowen can keep things on the right track. Ideally they kick Fitzgibbon's ass out as well!

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
My hope is the likes of Leigh, Wong, Plibersek and Bowen can keep things on the right track. Ideally they kick Fitzgibbon's ass out as well!
I reckon Jim Chalmers is Labor's best chance of bringing them in from the wilderness.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Albanese is far from inspiring but we're at the point where honest, decent and competent would be more than enough.

Reactions: 4 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Albanese is far from inspiring but we're at the point where honest, decent and competent would be more than enough.

A mate of mine said to me the other day that Albo was boring, my replies that I'd take his boring rather than ScuMos lying, deceitful, corrupt bulldust any day of the week

Reactions: 6 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I posted this in the Covid thread but it probably deserves to be posted here as well. A vote for the Nats, led by Joyce, or the Libs led by Morrison is a vote for parties that have incredibly poor leaders, backed by incredibly poor MPs and Senators.:

Nationals Senator, climate change denier and (former) Italian citizen, Matt Canavan (a vote for the Nats is a vote for deaths (and Barnaby Joyce as Deputy PM- not sure which is worse):

‘Doesn’t add up’: Coalition senator criticises Sydney lockdown, urges higher risk tolerance​

Federal LNP senator for Queensland Matt Canavan has criticised NSW for ordering Greater Sydney into lockdown.
Mr Canavan made the case that extended lockdowns have a crushing cost on people and governments need to adopt a higher risk tolerance.
“I don’t think we are correctly balancing here the costs and benefits of lockdowns. They’re not the preferred tool of virologists,” Mr Canavan told the ABC on Monday afternoon.
“I think we have got to put the responsibility back on people. And those who are vulnerable will feel like they don’t want to be exposed. They can obviously make the choice to stay home. But to impose a police state on everybody over a year after the virus [when] we know a lot more about it [and] we have a lot more treatments, it doesn’t add up.”
Pressed by host Patricia Karvelas about the number of people - including some young people - in hospital, Mr Canavan said the community must come to accept some deaths from coronavirus as being normal.
“There is no world in which we will have zero deaths,” he said.
“A couple of years ago we would lose two people from the flu every day. We didn’t lock down the country.
“It’s a difficult ethical dilemma but no-one seems to be raising the fact that lockdowns themselves are extremely costly on people’s mental wellbeing.
“What are we locking down for now? What’s the rationale, except to try some futile attempt to take every risk out of our lives which you can’t do.”

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I posted this in the Covid thread but it probably deserves to be posted here as well. A vote for the Nats, led by Joyce, or the Libs led by Morrison is a vote for parties that have incredibly poor leaders, backed by incredibly poor MPs and Senators.:

Nationals Senator, climate change denier and (former) Italian citizen, Matt Canavan (a vote for the Nats is a vote for deaths (and Barnaby Joyce as Deputy PM- not sure which is worse):

‘Doesn’t add up’: Coalition senator criticises Sydney lockdown, urges higher risk tolerance​

Federal LNP senator for Queensland Matt Canavan has criticised NSW for ordering Greater Sydney into lockdown.
Mr Canavan made the case that extended lockdowns have a crushing cost on people and governments need to adopt a higher risk tolerance.
“I don’t think we are correctly balancing here the costs and benefits of lockdowns. They’re not the preferred tool of virologists,” Mr Canavan told the ABC on Monday afternoon.
“I think we have got to put the responsibility back on people. And those who are vulnerable will feel like they don’t want to be exposed. They can obviously make the choice to stay home. But to impose a police state on everybody over a year after the virus [when] we know a lot more about it [and] we have a lot more treatments, it doesn’t add up.”
Pressed by host Patricia Karvelas about the number of people - including some young people - in hospital, Mr Canavan said the community must come to accept some deaths from coronavirus as being normal.
“There is no world in which we will have zero deaths,” he said.
“A couple of years ago we would lose two people from the flu every day. We didn’t lock down the country.
“It’s a difficult ethical dilemma but no-one seems to be raising the fact that lockdowns themselves are extremely costly on people’s mental wellbeing.
“What are we locking down for now? What’s the rationale, except to try some futile attempt to take every risk out of our lives which you can’t do.”
Not sure why "former Italian citizen" is relevant

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Canavan's one of the worst. Dog *smile* of a human.
That is kinda my thoughts. He, like many of the Libs and Nats are all about personal responsibility, except when it comes to their own actions.
"Robodebt", their illegal attempts to make poor people pay back money they didnt owe, and the suffering ti caused, is a perfect example.

Dont worry @Baloo, I have nothing against (former) Italian citizens in general.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
wrt the Italian Citizenship, it does have some merit. When Berlusconi was struggling in the polls, he changed the Italian eligibility rules so that people with Italian parents, even if those parents had forfeited their Italian passports, were suddenly allowed to vote in the upcoming Italian elections. I know quite a few who had Italian passports gifted to them.

But Canavan is a prick regardless.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Fun fact: Holt recently lost his Guinness World Record for “Most Days Absent as Prime Minister” to Scott Morrison.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I particularly like this bit

His stock of personal idiosyncrasies is not endearing, nor do they enrich or add flavour to his style. No one could, or should, criticise him for not being intellectual or well read. One does not have to be if one wants to get involved in the contest of ideas and ideals. To be in the argument from a settled and disciplined philosophy. In it to persuade and to change behaviour rather than merely re-arrange facts. His supposed talent for marketing has never been about substance or making a real difference.

The cack-hand we are now seeing is the real him. Failing in the big things and in the little things. The big picture and the detail. Failing too to learn from his mistakes, including by frank analysis of the way that his own personality, and his own failings have contributed to, or caused his problems.

Morrison blames others, dodges responsibility, rewrites history and redefines words and actions. These may be characteristics of a healthy ego – a necessity in politics – but work best only when the internal person privately understands the mistakes, and changes behaviour to make sure he does not repeat them. Morrison always gives the impression of believing his own propaganda, whatever it happens to be at the time. In the course of this he has lost any true sense of what actually matters.

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
wrt the Italian Citizenship, it does have some merit. When Berlusconi was struggling in the polls, he changed the Italian eligibility rules so that people with Italian parents, even if those parents had forfeited their Italian passports, were suddenly allowed to vote in the upcoming Italian elections. I know quite a few who had Italian passports gifted to them.

But Canavan is a prick regardless.
What about people who have a grandparent of Italian ancestry? My nan (Dad's mum) was born in Australia but I think it was her grandfather that migrated from the north of Italy.

I want a passport! I love Italy (the country not the soccer team; although I'm glad they beat the Poms).