Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

No one could, or should, criticise him for not being intellectual or well read. One does not have to be if one wants to get involved in the contest of ideas and ideals.
How depressing. Pauline for PM, then.

People should be as well-read as possible. Especially if they want to get involved in the contest of ideas and ideals.

What about people who have a grandparent of Italian ancestry? My nan (Dad's mum) was born in Australia but I think it was her grandfather that migrated from the north of Italy.

I want a passport! I love Italy (the country not the soccer team; although I'm glad they beat the Poms).
Not sure, you could always ask, but you would need the paperwork to prove your case. Though it might be tougher now that Berlusconi isn't trying to stay in power.

How depressing. Pauline for PM, then.

People should be as well-read as possible. Especially if they want to get involved in the contest of ideas and ideals.
Not sure about that. My father in law has never read a book in his life yet is one of the cleverest people I know. Can fix anything, can build a house from scratch, can work most things out has a good moral compass.
He is a natural problem solver and doer. That hasn’t come from reading.

Not sure about that. My father in law has never read a book in his life yet is one of the cleverest people I know. Can fix anything, can build a house from scratch, can work most things out has a good moral compass.
He is a natural problem solver and doer. That hasn’t come from reading.
Yeah, but what does he know about macroeconomics?

“For those saying … ‘the whole Covid thing is a conspiracy [and vaccines will] turn your arms into magnets’, it’s just crazy nonsense, and it does put people’s lives at risk.

“And equally at the other end – which says ‘we all have to do nothing for ever and you can eliminate this thing’ – that’s rubbish too.”

Morrison finally said what he should have said months ago, the his former colleague (whose vote the Libs are still taking) is a dangerous fool spreading information that will cause harm. But of course he couldnt just bag one view, he had to equate to people at the other end of the spectrum who supposedly want the country in lockdown forever. (I am yet to ever hear anyone have that view. EVER.) And I assume he is somehow trying to infer Labor governments have that view.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, but what does he know about macroeconomics?
So when you say well read you mean you need to have read economic books?
How many politicians have an economics degree?
He ran his own business for 30 years successfully based on charging correctly and paying his bills on time. Reckon he could manage a budget.

So when you say well read you mean you need to have read economic books?
How many politicians have an economics degree?
He ran his own business for 30 years successfully based on charging correctly and paying his bills on time. Reckon he could manage a budget.
No, I mean being informed is a good thing. The macroeconomics thing was a throwaway line.

No, I mean being informed is a good thing. The macroeconomics thing was a throwaway line.

:D

Who really understands macroeconomics anyway?

One thing I reckon is we are on a path of debt destruction. Interest rates are going up sooner than people think. All the input costs of goods people love to consume are rising. Raw material prices are sky rocketing - timber, steel, aluminium, pvc prices have risen from 20 to 50% in the last 12 months. International freight is 5 times as expensive as it was 2 years ago. This has to translate into large price rises. Might not be a bad thing, companies may start looking at local manufacturing again.

At a basic level I just can't see how we avoid some significant inflation.

:D

Who really understands macroeconomics anyway?

One thing I reckon is we are on a path of debt destruction. Interest rates are going up sooner than people think. All the input costs of goods people love to consume are rising. Raw material prices are sky rocketing - timber, steel, aluminium, pvc prices have risen from 20 to 50% in the last 12 months. International freight is 5 times as expensive as it was 2 years ago. This has to translate into large price rises. Might not be a bad thing, companies may start looking at local manufacturing again.

At a basic level I just can't see how we avoid some significant inflation.
Tax the mega-wealthy. Bigly.

Tax the multinational giants who currently pull accounting swifties to pay zero tax in Australia. Google etc.

Reactions: 1 users
*smile* I hated that subject at uni. So *smile* boring.

So full of s*** too.

One of the biggest issues with macroeconomics is that the one market type they have the most trouble describing is also the most common type of market in a capitalist economy: an oligopoly.

Yes, I did suffer through some economics at uni, dumped it though after suffering microeconomics and macroeconomics. Got sick of having to describe a pack of lies in exams in order to pass.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Geez, whoever Simon Benson is certainly isn't hiding his bias. I don't suppose unbiased reporting is an issue in the Murdoch rags.

DS

Geez, whoever Simon Benson is certainly isn't hiding his bias. I don't suppose unbiased reporting is an issue in the Murdoch rags.

DS
Sad thing is 47% off the country believe it, according to newspoll.
I wonder what the crossover is of people who watch Big Brother.

Reactions: 1 users
Sad thing is 47% off the country believe it, according to newspoll.
I wonder what the crossover is of people who watch Big Brother.
BB is definitely a labour voters market. Big winner in the 18-39 age bracket, as is labour. Mostly female too the BB viewership. Go figure?