Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

The New Liberals who I've mentioned before, have just won another mini-battle with the Liberal Party.

First it was over the name, claiming it was too close to Liberal Party of Australia, where the Libs challenged but lost.

Then this week ScoMuppet introduced a bill to raise the minimum member requirement for political parties from 500 to 1,500. TNL, in about 24 hours, went from under 1,000 members to over 1,700 via a campaign on Twitter, and the memberships are still rolling in.

Whoever is advising ScoMuppet is doing a great job.
Screenshot_20210812-165649_Twitter.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I know there is a lot of support for Dan but this article is a reminder on why there are many who work in the public sector who are very concerned with what is happening. There is too much power with political operatives rather than with the public service itself. It is well known , it’s Dan’s way or the highway.
Personally I would prefer the ALP in Victoria to the LNP but would like to see a different Premier

Last edited:
I know there is a lot of support for Dan but this article is a reminder on why there are many who work in the public sector are very concerned with what is happening. There is too much power with political operatives rather than with the public service itself. It is well known , it’s Dan’s way or the highway.
Personally I would prefer the ALP in Victoria to the LNP but would like to see a different Premier

I'm not sure the support for Dan was as rabid before Covid. Many Victorians got around him when ScoMo, Fraudenberg, Murdoch and others started the relentless over-the-top attacks. If anything it's Murdoch and his governments that have made Dan more popular. That and the fact the Libs in Victoria are only slightly better than the WA Libs.

Last edited:
I know there is a lot of support for Dan but this article is a reminder on why there are many who work in the public sector who are very concerned with what is happening. There is too much power with political operatives rather than with the public service itself. It is well known , it’s Dan’s way or the highway.

This is a serious problem across all levels of government and both the major parties do it.

The public service in a Westminster system is supposed to be an independent body able to give advice without having to worry about the fallout - it is up to the pollies as to whether they follow the advice. In the USA system they have a couple of thousand political appointees, but their system also has the executive separated from the legislature so different system.

Seems the Vic ALP have massively filled the top echelons of the public service with apparatchiks, not good and will backfire when they lose government, which is unlikely next election but will eventually happen.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
This is a serious problem across all levels of government and both the major parties do it.

The public service in a Westminster system is supposed to be an independent body able to give advice without having to worry about the fallout - it is up to the pollies as to whether they follow the advice. In the USA system they have a couple of thousand political appointees, but their system also has the executive separated from the legislature so different system.

Seems the Vic ALP have massively filled the top echelons of the public service with apparatchiks, not good and will backfire when they lose government, which is unlikely next election but will eventually happen.

DS
It is the extent David. There is political influence throughout the public sector decision making and recommendations with all colours of politics for sure, driven by a political agenda. There is influence is appointing key posts and public sector Board positions, they all do it.
This is next level. It is centralising power through a Premier and his office never seen before. State departments know now that nothing big happens without the advisers to the premier being involved, some of whom have little or no experience in public policy or in anything really except politics.

It is the extent David. There is political influence throughout the public sector decision making and recommendations with all colours of politics for sure, driven by a political agenda. There is influence is appointing key posts and public sector Board positions, they all do it.
This is next level. It is centralising power through a Premier and his office never seen before. State departments know now that nothing big happens without the advisers to the premier being involved, some of whom have little or no experience in public policy or in anything really except politics.

Is the extent really a change or part of a continuing evolution?

I tend to think it is part of continuing evolution. I don't remember Kennett having any qualms about appointing his own into high public service positions, was a lower extent back then but it has been creeping in for decades.

DS

Is the extent really a change or part of a continuing evolution?

I tend to think it is part of continuing evolution. I don't remember Kennett having any qualms about appointing his own into high public service positions, was a lower extent back then but it has been creeping in for decades.

DS
This is no evolution.
I work in and around it and with a lot of people involved. It is a big subject of discussion and has been for a while pre COVID

A Gang of Five ruling the state. Makes me wonder why have local MPs.

Last edited:
How long have I been saying it, Jazz?
You've been beating the drum for a while. The influence of the christian right has become far too great in the LNP. Ironic how poorly behaved these religious scumbags are. No diversity in their party, backed by the neanderthals of the national party. It's a bleak outlook. And you have turds like Bernardi leaving because they aren't right wing enough!

The Shot brutally nailing it:

so true and so *smile* depressing.
and slomo will probably win the next election when small minded short sighted *smile* heads thoughts turn away from vaccination rollouts, climate inaction, various numerous rorts, COVID deniers and rapists in parliament house, and all the other corruption to their *smile* franking credits