Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think you underestimate the Murdoch effect.

not at all.

Morrison keep handing Labour free hits, and they dont even swing a punch, let alone land one.

Can you recall seeing Albonese looking down the camera and getting stuck into them on The ABC or in The guardian?

The only blokes swinging are Turnbull and Shorten.

Porter has just publicly accepted $1m in a brown paper bag. there should be blood flowing in the streets of Canberra.

Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I think today’s announcement of closer ties with USA and the UK had to be done. China with its actions in the South China Sea and it’s large build up of military force make Australia a prime target for its bully boy tactics.

So we antagonise them even further with a deal that will be useless in the future.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
not at all.

Morrison keep handing Labour free hits, and they dont even swing a punch, let alone land one.

Can you recall seeing Albonese looking down the camera and getting stuck into them on The ABC or in The guardian?

Porter has just publicly accepted $1m in a brown paper bag. there should be blood flowing in the streets of Canberra.

Could he be more effective? Sure. I still think the Murdoch effect is huge.

Reactions: 3 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
So we're going nuclear but only for propulsion, not weaponry. What's the go with the $90B french subs? Do we get a refund? Or is it a bit like JobKeeper?

Also it was hilarious that Biden seemed to forget Scott Morrison's name, referring to him as "that bloke down under" before awkwardly trailing off.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Could he be more effective? Sure. I still think the Murdoch effect is huge.
Agree. Just look at what happened in the States. Trump was elected because a large section of the media carried his message, amplified his message and lied. He even tried to subvert an election and take over parliament by force, yet he's still free and his party and subverting every attempt to hold people accountable. Australia isn't there yet, but lets not forget the media org that made trump what he is and continues to support him is Australian.

The opposition are too timid at the moment. Albo and the relevant shadow ministers should be pushing to get on every media outlet to scream about the corruption. Or maybe they are waiting to unleash in the run up to the election.

Regardless though, the Libs have shown just how much a Government can get away with. Only the naive will think the next Government wont take the same liberties.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Regardless though, the Libs have shown just how much a Government can get away with. Only the naive will think the next Government wont take the same liberties.

Absolutely they get away with 'murder' so they will just get worse and worse. This if nothing else is a reason to vote them out.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
So we antagonise them even further with a deal that will be useless in the future.

What would you do then? And how is it useless in the future?

And I don’t see how this is a useless pact. The way I see it is the USA and UK are openly telling China and other countries they have our back.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Absolutely they get away with 'murder' so they will just get worse and worse.

Dunno about 'murder', but one could certainly form the opinion that they got away with

'anal rape leading to suicide'

• Sad

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Absolutely they get away with 'murder' so they will just get worse and worse. This if nothing else is a reason to vote them out.

My point was the next Government, Lib or ALP, will continue in the same vein. There hasn't been a government in history that didn't adopt any advantage/liberty the previous government gained.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Antagonize them even further? Mate, we just have to sneeze the wrong way for the CCP to take offense and slap sanctions on us under false pretenses. Unless we are completely subservient to their demands they won’t be happy.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
What would you do then? And how is it useless in the future?

Its useless because China will always be ahead of us technologically. These submarines will literally not matter if China does get serious. Thats even if they get made, see the previous French deal that has now been scrapped.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Antagonize them even further? Mate, we just have to sneeze the wrong way for the CCP to take offense and slap sanctions on us under false pretenses. Unless we are completely subservient to their demands they won’t be happy.

There is such a thing called diplomacy, this government doesn't appear to know the meaning of the word.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
There hasn't been a government in history that didn't adopt any advantage/liberty the previous government gained.

thats to say theres never been a reforming government?

which I dont think is true.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
not at all.

Agree, did you see Turnbull and Albanese making statements last night? Turnbull talked about someone handing you cash in a brown paper bag wearing a mask as the equivalent of a blind trust - the imagery was great and memorable. Albanese mumbled something I can't even remember. He is a terrible communicator. They need to cut through more. I can imagine Labor hacks watching Turnbull and just dismissing it as he is a Lib, but they should have been watching it and asking themselves why they couldn't come up with that line and get Albanese to deliver it.

The subs is an interesting one. No idea what this means for the French subs we have on order, are they cancelled? I don't like nuclear powered anything but the nuclear powered subs would have the advantage that they can stay under water for longer, no need for air to run the diesel generators on a conventional sub. I can't see any point in the further proliferation of nuclear weapons, too many of them already. The situation with China is a balancing act. The way the world works under the current arrangements, China can't really be allowed to just claim large areas of the ocean, but they also can't just be bullied into submission on this. China is now a very powerful country whether we like it or not. Not only Australia, but pretty much everywhere in the world is reliant on China for a fair bit of manufacturing and also as a market for exports. There has to be some accommodation with China, from China's perspective they feel like they are being hemmed in while the USA is allowed to roam all over the world influencing whatever governments they want and doing what they want. China is a major power and they want to be treated as such. Not an easy situation.

DS

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Agree, did you see Turnbull and Albanese making statements last night? Turnbull talked about someone handing you cash in a brown paper bag wearing a mask as the equivalent of a blind trust - the imagery was great and memorable. Albanese mumbled something I can't even remember. He is a terrible communicator. They need to cut through more. I can imagine Labor hacks watching Turnbull and just dismissing it as he is a Lib, but they should have been watching it and asking themselves why they couldn't come up with that line and get Albanese to deliver it.

The subs is an interesting one. No idea what this means for the French subs we have on order, are they cancelled? I don't like nuclear powered anything but the nuclear powered subs would have the advantage that they can stay under water for longer, no need for air to run the diesel generators on a conventional sub. I can't see any point in the further proliferation of nuclear weapons, too many of them already. The situation with China is a balancing act. The way the world works under the current arrangements, China can't really be allowed to just claim large areas of the ocean, but they also can't just be bullied into submission on this. China is now a very powerful country whether we like it or not. Not only Australia, but pretty much everywhere in the world is reliant on China for a fair bit of manufacturing and also as a market for exports. There has to be some accommodation with China, from China's perspective they feel like they are being hemmed in while the USA is allowed to roam all over the world influencing whatever governments they want and doing what they want. China is a major power and they want to be treated as such. Not an easy situation.

DS

w'eve already paid a shitload for the French subs. As usual, the costs and delivery date blew out the more we paid upfront.

so much so, the Government took legal action to stop any Australians seeing the French contracts to see how much we were blowing.

I cant imagine we'd get out of the $90b debacle without $20 or $30b down the tube?

This sudden pivot to Nuke Subs and 'till death do us part' pledges to Biden and Johnson is disturbing.

But at the end of the day, If I had to choose between a huge American nuclear powered base in Broome,

or planting rice rice all day in red tunic for my Chinese masters, for half a hard bed and a bowl of rice,

I'll take the Americans everyday.

I guess Id rather die of stupidity and obesity than exhaustion and malnutrition.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Turnbull talked about someone handing you cash in a brown paper bag wearing a mask as the equivalent of a blind trust - the imagery was great and memorable. Albanese mumbled something I can't even remember.

If Albanese tried to wage a campaign against blind trusts and how politicians use them, he'd be kicked out of the ALP, unless he was shot by the Libs first.

• Haha

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Its quite the coincidence that the day before Porter reveals his blind trust, and on the day that Bruce Lehrmann pleads not guilty to raping Brittany Higgins, that we have this submarine announcement. Those matters are quickly swept off the front pages.

I haven't read much commentary about how much cancelling the existing contract is going to cost either. No way that's going to be cheap.

• Angry

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I haven't read much commentary about how much cancelling the existing contract is going to cost either. No way that's going to be cheap.

you'lle read about it in 50 years with cabinet paper release.

it'd be $20-$30 wasted billions easy