Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
One issue seems to be that we handicap ourselves somewhat by operating out of Perth and Sydney.

For years there has been talk of establishing a more significant RAN forward operating base at Exmouth in WA and on the Eastern seaboard, options like Bundaberg or Gladstone in QLD have been mentioned. This would give greater strategic capability and flexibility.

However there are reasons for Perth and Sydney. Contrary to common perception the main motivation isn’t being further from harm’s way. Bundaberg or Exmouth are not as far north as say Darwin, Broome or Cairns. It’s more to do with personnel retention. Both uniformed and civilian technical contractors.
Some very salient points there mate.

Good stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Have never been able to work out the logic of our Submarines operating out of Wa, but maintained in South Australia.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Dutton is defence minister now isn't he? He would have had a big say in this. No surprise it's been handled with no diplomatic grace.

As for the French, *smile* em. Still haven't forgiven them for their nuclear tests on Mururoa Atoll
According to AbC the process had begun before Dutton got the Defence job.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
The Libs have been standing on a few toes lately.

Diplomacy is not one Morrison's strong suits, you'd think with his marketing background he'd be pretty good at getting on the phone.
clumsiest Govt of all time

re: Scotty - what, to say "where the bloody hell are ya?" .... he's a F Wit of the highest order, and a god fearing puppet ..

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Pretty clear from the French reaction and Birmingham on Insiders this morning that we were not upfront about this with them at all.
Apparently the first they heard of it was the night before the announcement when Dutton called his French counterpart.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Apparently the first they heard of it was the night before the announcement when Dutton called his French counterpart.
this Govt are a combination of stupid, entitled and clumsy.
which is quite possibly a very dangerous brew

TT33

GO TIGES!!!
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
this Govt are a combination of stupid, entitled and clumsy.
which is quite possibly a very dangerous brew

You've missed a few arty, add these to the list, corrupt, incompetent, sneaky, corrupt, liars, corrupt, misogynistic, corrupt, shameless & did I mention they're corrupt.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
You've missed a few arty, add these to the list, corrupt, incompetent, sneaky, corrupt, liars, corrupt, misogynistic, corrupt, shameless & did I mention they're corrupt.
And that’s their good points TT33

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
According to AbC the process had begun before Dutton got the Defence job.
This whole submarine debacle was really a Malcolm Turnbull-Christopher Pyne-Julie Bishop and friends balls up.

Abbott pretty much had the deal done to purchase Japanese Soryu subs off the shelf. At the eleventh hour, Poodle Pyne organised a revolt, as the Japanese solution didn’t allow for enough SA local content. And he was more worried about losing some marginal SA seats than the best overall solution for the nation.

He got Turnbull involved. And together they used the issue as a rallying point for the moderate faction to raise a wider coup against Abbott and the conservatives. It was the beginning of the end for Abbott’s reign. And in truth, Turnbull had been looking for an opportunity to oust him for a while. He now had an opportunity. And then the French deal is what we got.

When Turnbull and his allies were ousted from power of the party, with Morrison and Dutton taking over. I get the sense the French deal that Turnbull and Pyne signed up for was possibly always in a precarious position.

Don’t get me wrong. No particular love for Abbott. Just calling it how I have read accounts from neutral observers in that space.

It does illustrate though. How people more concerned with their own internal and cynical political outlook easily lose sight of the bigger more holistic picture of what they are there to achieve. With disastrously expensive and adverse strategic consequences.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
And Porter is finally gawn

just to the backbench?

pissweak stooge.

he should reveal the source and resign from parliament.

sits on the backbench on $300k and protects his donor? *smile* me these *smile* are crooked

Reactions: 3 users

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
He could lose Pearce, which he holds by 3.8 per cent.

Should be lucky to get 3.8% of the vote in entirety.

just to the backbench?

pissweak stooge.

he should reveal the source and resign from parliament.

sits on the backbench on $300k and protects his donor? *smile* me these *smile* are crooked
Absolutely. Bloody ridiculous he remains in Parliament. Should have his arse kicked to the curb.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
if he think he can still win then expect him to run as an independent or one of the far right parties.

If that doesn't eventuate he'll end up with a plum public service posting.