Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Part of the fleet operates out of fleet base west in Perth and the other part out of fleet base east in Sydney. It’s a dual coastline strategy. Perhaps Adelaide being roughly half way between the two works well.

Not sure of the history behind why Adelaide was chosen to be the centre for submarine construction and servicing back in the 1980s, when the Collins Class project began. These days there is a fair bit of cynical political pork barrelling around it. But perhaps it wasn’t purely just that in the first place. Maybe connected to the amount of heavy auto and machinery manufacturing that Adelaide has a history in, meant there were some synergies. That’s not to say Melbourne wouldn’t have also had the capability to serve this function for similar reasons. Which is where an element of parochial politicking perhaps comes in.
Are they not all operated out of Wa now?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Are they not all operated out of Wa now?
All 6 have fleet base west listed as their home port. But at any given time, there seems to be one or two operating out of Fleet Base East. Perhaps they rotate through as a staging base. Prior to the Collins class, HMAS Platypus in Sydney was the main sub base. And that would have been during the period that the Australian Submarine Corporation was established to build the Collins Class. I believe ASC has facilities in Perth to do a certain amount of ongoing maintenance. But the major works are done at ASC's headquarters in Adelaide, where the class was built. I suppose it's just too much upheaval to shut down already existing facilities, that were put in place at the beginning of the life of the project and intended to continue servicing them for their whole of life.

Again, not sure why Adelaide was chosen at the beginning of the project. Can only guess that it had something to do with already existing heavy industry in Adelaide having some synergies. Like I say though, from this point of view, Melbourne would have been perfectly capable, which is where a bit of parochial politicking perhaps enters the frame.

Reactions: 1 user

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
NSW police are up to their eyeballs in covering up these rape allegations. This article says on the day that NSW police received a signed declaration from the victim detailing her allegations that they tried to shutdown the strike force conducting the investigation. Someone decided it was too politcally uncomfortable to proceed with the investigation. What a disgrace.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Dutton is defence minister now isn't he? He would have had a big say in this. No surprise it's been handled with no diplomatic grace.

As for the French, *smile* em. Still haven't forgiven them for their nuclear tests on Mururoa Atoll
and the bombing of the Rainbow Warrior in Auckland

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
This belongs in an indigenous thread, but they are just hateful places i dont go anymore, but this is a classic AFL response

And your beliefs about our indigenous/colonial history and our/your place in it,

are irrelevant in this instance i think.

The AFL didnt respond.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
This belongs in an indigenous thread, but they are just hateful places i dont go anymore, but this is a classic AFL response

And your beliefs about our indigenous/colonial history and our/your place in it,

The AFL didnt respond.
interesting story eZy and not an isolated one in the history of white Australia ..
AFL not responding - makes me wonder about a certain family and their land holdings over 130+ years ...

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
interesting story eZy and not an isolated one in the history of white Australia ..
AFL not responding - makes me wonder about a certain family and their land holdings over 130+ years ...

Bit like their stance on the pedophelia ring that infiltrated St Kilda FC back in the 70's. Only the ABC reported on it and the AFL didn't comment at all.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

The AFL didnt respond.
I hope he sent the same information to the MCC, as Wills captained Victoria in the equivalent of Sheffield shield games and was captain coach of an Indigenous cricket side.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Interesting article by Stan Grant on the ABC website talking about the rise of China and pointing out that China is fundamentally different to the Soviet Union and we are not about to enter another cold war.

Here's one quote:

Yes, Xi Jinping is challenging the order. He wants China's position in the world respected and recognised. The order remains Western dominated with Europe and the United States monopolising leadership.

That does not reflect a world where China is the biggest engine of economic growth and is building military might to match. That so-called status quo can't hold.

The world is changing and Australia, along with the rest of the west, needs to sort out where we fit and how we deal with the way the world will look in 10-20 years.

Full article here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09...age-china-authoritarian-super-power/100482238

DS

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I hope he sent the same information to the MCC, as Wills captained Victoria in the equivalent of Sheffield shield games and was captain coach of an Indigenous cricket side.

just to be clear, im not saying he should be cancelled.

if its substantiated,

just say 'tom wills was the father of football, captained victoria in cricket, and participated in a massacres of aboriginal people'

i would actually have no real dramas with him being celebrated as a footballer, cricketer, innovator, provided his flaws are laid bare.

i feel the same for most people.

they take this approach to Richo, everytime hes celebrated.

the AFL not responding to the academic has become THE problem with reconcilling with original australia. Sure, we cant change it, just acknowledge it.

FwIw, on my rfc members survey today, i said im very satisfied with all aspects of the club, except id like them to take a leadership role in reforming The AFL

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Every time I see Gilligan pay lip service to reconciliation in Indigenous Round, I think: "Why don't you give back some of your family's massive sheep station that has kept you in polo ponies since you were a boy?"

• Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Bit like their stance on the pedophelia ring that infiltrated St Kilda FC back in the 70's. Only the ABC reported on it and the AFL didn't comment at all.

Yep. And all the various AFL media types fell into line and ignored it.

Compare with the pedophila cases of coaches and juniors in the Premier League, (then 1st Division). The code actually is doing something to deal with it.

Reactions: 1 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Every time I see Gilligan pay lip service to reconciliation in Indigenous Round, I think: "Why don't you give back some of your family's massive sheep station that has kept you in polo ponies since you were a boy?"
Kind of reminds me of a corporation like Coca-Cola.

Profiteering by siphoning off water supplies (a fundamental human need) in areas often with shortages of available public drinking and/or irrigation water. Then adding insult, by selling it back at many times the mark up as bottled water, or sugary soft drink of limited nutritional value. Not only that, Coca-Cola are big utilisers of the murky world of offshore financing. Funneling, hiding and hoarding profits through offshore tax havens. Essentially stealing wealth from the countries that they owe their existence. Horrible organisation.

But it's all ok. They are saving the world with their apparent "social awareness". By putting employees - often blue collar working poor, struggling to survive on minimum wage - through compulsory anti-racism indoctrination....uhemm......education sessions. Telling them all about their irredeemable original sin of white privilege and how they need to attempt to be "less white" in order to at least try to atone for this evil that is inherently within them.

It's all a look away hand pass.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
You would probably need parliamentary privilege if this wasn't an anonymous forum.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Kind of reminds me of a corporation like Coca-Cola.

Profiteering by siphoning off water supplies (a fundamental human need) in areas often with shortages of available public drinking and/or irrigation water. Then adding insult, by selling it back at many times the mark up as bottled water, or sugary soft drink of limited nutritional value. Not only that, Coca-Cola are big utilisers of the murky world of offshore financing. Funneling, hiding and hoarding profits through offshore tax havens. Essentially stealing wealth from the countries that they owe their existence. Horrible organisation.

But it's all ok. They are saving the world with their apparent "social awareness". By putting employees - often blue collar working poor, struggling to survive on minimum wage - through compulsory anti-racism indoctrination....uhemm......education sessions. Telling them all about their irredeemable original sin of white privilege and how they need to attempt to be "less white" in order to at least try to atone for this evil that is inherently within them.

It's all a look away hand pass.
We can't alll work in Green endorsed industries or companies.