Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
In my life I have never witnessed such a blatant bunch of crooks dressed up as public servants.

the next election will lay bare the % of Australians who are acutely ignorant and/or self-interested,

as no election in our history has ever done.

like a chain smoker, this government has undertaken blatant secrecy, corruption, lies

ceaselessly. And they are emboldened by the lack of consequence.

A vote for LNP is a vote for a sh!0tfucked Australia, environmentally, culturally, economically, democratically, intellectually.

Reactions: 5 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
And they are emboldened by the lack of consequence.

This is the sticking point for me. There is no federal body truly holds the pollies to account. The National Audit office is about as close as it gets, but the gov just ignore/dismiss any findings.

The AFP also needs reform too, how they declared that there was nothing to see here in regards to the Leppington Triangle land is unbelievable. Someone in the liberal party literally added an extra zero to that transaction and have seemingly gotten away with it. $27 million bucks of tax payer money gone down the drain, paid to known regular liberal donor at that.

And Gladys is being hammered over 5 million (which is entirely appropriate) just shows the inadequacies of the protections we have at federal level.

Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Out of interest who dothese names belong too? Nigel? Ayres?

Other than Maguires tryst with Gladys, do you think that other grants don't also get madewith similar levels of assessment? Maybe even grants awarded to RFC. If you want to take politics out of government what do you you end up with?
They undoubtedly do, however not to the electorate of the treasurer's secret boyfriend

Gladys is toast over this although she will be hit with a wet lettuce leaf only. This is why she resigned, she knew what she had done was indefensible even by the standards of politicians of all stripes country wide.

To have a situation where the State treasurer is in a relationship with another member of parliament and she is handling grants and the Premier doesn't know about the relationship (as confirmed by Baird yesterday) is on the nose to an extent that noone can defend it.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The AFP also needs reform too, how they declared that there was nothing to see here in regards to the Leppington Triangle land is unbelievable. Someone in the liberal party literally added an extra zero to that transaction and have seemingly gotten away with it. $27 million bucks of tax payer money gone down the drain, paid to known regular liberal donor at that.
The other one with the AFP was the raids on the ABC and the homes of a couple of journalists including Annika Smethurst. That was pure Dutton vindictiveness but he was able to get the AFP to do his bidding, even though he denied it.
Also the Clover Moore and Angus Taylor spat over altered documents in his office ....nothing to see here !!

Reactions: 3 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
The other one with the AFP was the raids on the ABC and the homes of a couple of journalists including Annika Smethurst. That was pure Dutton vindictiveness but he was able to get the AFP to do his bidding, even though he denied it.
Also the Clover Moore and Angus Taylor spat over altered documents in his office ....nothing to see here !!

Unfortunately the list is almost endless.

Without doubt the most disgusting Federal Government we've ever had in our History.

A pox on them, Palmer & Murdoch

Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Unfortunately the list is almost endless.

Without doubt the most disgusting Federal Government we've ever had in our History.

A pox on them, Palmer & Murdoch
yes. I am no fan of the ALP as I find them rudderless and lacking a reason for being. However I am now firmly in the ABLNP camp , anyone but the LNP.
I have said before that I never thought I would see the day when I hated a government and a leader as much as the one under Tony Abbott but this one has taken grime in government to a new level.
I just want them out, I am ashamed these people run our country.
I am also a voter in Fraudenberg's electorate and I understand there is an active group forming that will have only one slogan, "vote Josh out". I honestly believe there is a real chance of him losing if the right candidate can be found, probably an independent will be required.

Reactions: 3 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Just like how Barilaro was able to get the NSW police to do his bidding re Friendly Jordies.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Speaking of corruption. Eddie Obeid, his son and the ex NSW Mining Minister jailed for fraud for 3 years.

Throw them all in the clink

• Wow
  • Love

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Speaking of corruption. Eddie Obeid, his son and the ex NSW Mining Minister jailed for fraud for 3 years.

Throw them all in the clink

McFarlane got 4 1/2 years.

hope its miserable and long

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Not sure who Nigel is but Stuart Ayres is the other minister in hot water for pushing these grants through without merit. What do you mean "belong to"?

Personally I think ministerial discretion should be abolished or at least require far greater scrutiny when it does occur. Why would you employ heaps of beurocrats to research which projects should be funded just for the minister to rip up the report and fund based on targeting seats? Are you saying this should be normalised? Because the ICAC proceedings are demonstrating why it shouldn't be and I'm finding the whole proceedings rather refreshing. Would be simply wonderful to have a similar system at federal level.

Belong just meant who was the note writer ? Nigel Anon it seems.

You understand that the Regional Grants Program is a poltical creation, it doesn't exist unless the govt of the day conjures it up? Same as any other grant program . Why do womens refuges get say 100 million, but drug rehab say $50 million? Why do professional football clubs get a wellness centre but a new suburb doesn't have a decent park?

The criteria for the assessment / distribution is also a political decision.

Yes that should be followed more closely but I would not remove discretion nor absolve ministers.

.... Everyone here screams for accountability but if a minister says "nothing to do with me faceless burecrats man / woman made the decision" you would go ballistic. You are otherwise saying bureaucrats don't make idiotic decisions.

By the way the largest govt expenditures are decided by Cabinet.... Defence. Pensions, dole, etc

Seeing CHOs running the country for 20 months is not a reason to handball more authority to department heads.

Last edited:

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
The critical factor last election was Clive Palmer spending tens of millions on advertising in marginals in Qld - these seats would have flipped to labor and history would have been different. United Australia only got a few percent but with preferences to the LNP that made the difference.

He did that not to win seats but as a quid pro quo for his nickel mine license which the LNP duly delivered.

Nothing technically illegal but in real terms Palmer bought the last federal election.
O please AA.... almost sounds MAGA like "Sco Mo bought the election"

If your thinking is replicated in AL P HQ they will lose the unloseable election again As doesn't seem like Clive is slowing spending. What is he after this time?

Saw Bowen on a tv show last night, I always thought he was a beter option than Albo. But one thing for sure there won't be a PM from Victoria anytime soon.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Belong just meant who was the note writer ? Nigel Anon it seems.

You understand that the Regional Grants Program is a poltical creation, it doesn't exist unless the govt of the day conjures it up? Same as any other grant program . Why do womens refuges get say 100 million, but drug rehab say $50 million? Why do professional football clubs get a wellness centre but a new suburb doesn't have a decent park?

The criteria for the assessment / distribution is also a political decision.

Yes that should be followed more closely but I would not remove discretion nor absolve ministers.

.... Everyone here screams for accountability but if a minister says "nothing to do with me faceless burecrats man / woman made the decision" you would go ballistic. You are otherwise saying bureaucrats don't make idiotic decisions.

By the way the largest govt expenditures are decided by Cabinet.... Defence. Pensions, dole, etc

Seeing CHOs running the count for 20 months is not a reason to handball more authority to department heads.
There is a budget allocations process and then Treasury allocate funds based on that budget. You can read the budget allocations in the budget papers
Let's say the Minister of Health gets $50 million for regional public health initiatives. ( I am making the example up by the way) and $100 million for increased elective surgery to catch up. The elective surgery list is getting higher and there is a lot of political pressure and the Minister has a choice. Does he take some money that he already has for something else or does he go through the process of asking cabinet and Treasury for more money? Does he talk to the premier direct ?
What a Minister can and can't do in those circumstances depends on the state and the level of scrutiny in that particular state and it can vary a lot.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
O please AA.... almost sounds MAGA like "Sco Mo bought the election"

He spent $60 million, more than all the other parties combined nationally. All on marginal seats that he had no chance of winning. That's a lot of money to spend on a vanity project.

He actually said this after the election.

Palmer was overt about not actually trying to win representation and after the election boasted that:

“…90% of UAP preferences flowed to the Liberal party and they won by about 2%, so our vote has got them across the line.”

Clive Palmer seems to have viewed the Election as entirely transactional. If the Government now rules in his favour (in relation to tax, mining or environmental decisions), Palmer is likely to more than get his money back. So, to recap, a billionaire made a personal investment in swaying Australia’s politics in the hope of future financial gain via his chosen winners. He believes his money changed the overall outcome from one party to another. Isn’t that what we call corruption? Doesn’t that mean our democracy has been bought? Shouldn’t that be illegal?

“What if” scenarios are notoriously meritless in politics — if Palmer hadn’t tried to influence the Election, presumably many of his supporters would have voted along similar political lines. But it is possible to make the argument that the UAP may have been decisive in the awarding of at least some seats. Let’s take the Tasmanian seat of Bass, for instance.
https://independentaustralia.net/po...showed-that-our-democracy-can-be-bought,13171

As I said, nothing illegal about what he did and yes, he might pull a similar trick again. Personally I don't think it's OK that billionaires get this much influence on a federal election just so they can keep mining going with a favourable federal government in power, but hey, that's only my opinion.

And this is the same guy who "couldn't" pay his workers after the nickel mine collapse - the feds payed out $70 million of our money to pay those workers their entitlements. The guy is laughing all the way to the bank.