Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
yes. I am no fan of the ALP as I find them rudderless and lacking a reason for being. However I am now firmly in the ABLNP camp , anyone but the LNP.
I have said before that I never thought I would see the day when I hated a government and a leader as much as the one under Tony Abbott but this one has taken grime in government to a new level.
I just want them out, I am ashamed these people run our country.
I am also a voter in Fraudenberg's electorate and I understand there is an active group forming that will have only one slogan, "vote Josh out". I honestly believe there is a real chance of him losing if the right candidate can be found, probably an independent will be required.
Can't get The Greens over the line this time? Think the burghers of Kooyong would come around to the idea of a financial bonanza of a green economy? (Protest votes feel good on election night but the hangover can be a long one)

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Albanese is being reasonably quiet.. letting them fall on their blunt swords hopefully ..

thought him calling little Scotty a liar was a nice touch..

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Belong just meant who was the note writer ? Nigel Anon it seems.

You understand that the Regional Grants Program is a poltical creation, it doesn't exist unless the govt of the day conjures it up? Same as any other grant program . Why do womens refuges get say 100 million, but drug rehab say $50 million? Why do professional football clubs get a wellness centre but a new suburb doesn't have a decent park?

The criteria for the assessment / distribution is also a political decision.

Yes that should be followed more closely but I would not remove discretion nor absolve ministers.

I'm guessing Nigel is one of the staffers involved in the grants process, it's been tabled to ICAC so it must be credible testimony.

And yes I realise that the government conjures these grants programs, and write the criteria but it appears they don't tell applicatns that the criteria will be largely ignored in favour of which electorate the project sits within.

.... Everyone here screams for accountability but if a minister says "nothing to do with me faceless burecrats man / woman made the decision" you would go ballistic. You are otherwise saying bureaucrats don't make idiotic decisions.

I'm not saying that at all, there should be accountability for both the department and the minister responsible for handing out these grants. I don't think our positions are that far apart here, but there has been several blatant rorts recently which demonstratesthe dial has shifted too far towards ministerial discretion - IMO.

Seeing CHOs running the country for 20 months is not a reason to handball more authority to department heads.

I don't understand this take. The CHO is exactly the person we should be handing authority to in a public health crisis. Would you prefer medical advice from your MP or your GP?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Can't get The Greens over the line this time? Think the burghers of Kooyong would come around to the idea of a financial bonanza of a green economy? (Protest votes feel good on election night but the hangover can be a long one)
That’s why I think it needs to be a Zali Steggall type candidate. There is a core of greens voters and a core of ALP voters but I can’t see either getting enough to win.
I think in Kooyong there is a core of people who can’t stand Josh but just can’t bring themselves to vote ALP or Greens. They just need a viable alternative

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
That’s why I think it needs to be a Zali Steggall type candidate. There is a core of greens voters and a core of ALP voters but I can’t see either getting enough to win.
I think in Kooyong there is a core of people who can’t stand Josh but just can’t bring themselves to vote ALP or Greens. They just need a viable alternative

This is where preferential voting comes in, as Clive Palmer knew. Mind you, 90% preference flow is astounding.

The independents in the city Lib seats are a great development. A few win, which is good, and some will just push the sitting members to change their positions on things. They are a chance if they can get enough votes to force it to preferences and if they can get a very high proportion of Green and ALP preferences.

It looks like we will get an independent standing in my electorate, which is Goldstein, I got a survey call the other day and it was clearly from a mob hoping to run one of these independent candidates in Goldstein. They will certainly get my preference before the ALP.

DS

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Five minutes after I posted last night the ABC site pops up with an article on the Greens target seats. Kooyong was there. 10 in total, and half ALP. Aim is to hold balance of power whoever wins

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Five minutes after I posted last night the ABC site pops up with an article on the Greens target seats. Kooyong was there. 10 in total, and half ALP. Aim is to hold balance of power whoever wins
I am sure they are targeting it. It’s a long shot I would think, Higgins may well be achievable though.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The Greens do a great job of keeping Labor in opposition.

The candidates the Greens constantly put up are a joke.

Take my electorate - they're putting up Mandy Nolan.

High profile, smart, eloquent,

erratic, alcoholic, comedian.

there are plenty of moderate, professional, considered people who believe in social justice and conservation,

and they just keep putting up hippies and loons.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The candidates the Greens constantly put up are a joke.

Take my electorate - they're putting up Mandy Nolan.

High profile, smart, eloquent,

erratic, alcoholic, comedian.

there are plenty of moderate, professional, considered people who believe in social justice and conservation,

and they just keep putting up hippies and loons.
Ah, Mandy. Bless her socks. She'll win 15% of the vote. In Byron. Less in Kyogle.

With the steady influx of Bondi types your electorate will be safe Liberal in no time.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Ah, Mandy. Bless her socks. She'll win 15% of the vote. In Byron. Less in Kyogle.

With the steady influx of Bondi types your electorate will be safe Liberal in no time.

Its ripe for a white-teethed beautiful narcissist independent

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
One of the things The Nationals are demanding to support Net 0 2050,

is a tax payer fund of $250b (that's a b, not an m)

to finance new coal mines, because the banks won't touch them.

The Evil of this cotton and coal cartel knows no bounds.

Scooby-Doo script writers would deem them too bad beyond belief for an episode.

Lets rid Our Nation of Nationals

Put them last

Reactions: 4 users